Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Madleggs

When to make a change???

Hi all I hope to get some other opinions out there about how to handle this situation.

I am a fairly new BKA(may 09), I have had my leg for about 6 weeks with fairly good results(my opinions anyways).

I was given the Seattle catalyst foot for the first 5 weeks and it worked fine but I was not really 100% happy with how rigid it was and with the lack of multi axial movement, so after several weeks of trying to convince my prosthetist that I would like to try a different foot she agreed to try the prefect stride by bio quest.

I have only had the foot a week and from day one the alignment has not been right! With my first foot I was already wearing the leg 8-10 hours a day and never had any sores/blister or any problems other than the stiffness of the foot it self. My lady has had a negative attitude about this new foot from the time she put it on, after only having the foot for 5 days I have a blister on the front of my shin wear I imagine it is rubbing inside my socket, and now the leg is just sitting there cause I dont want to make things worse!

She has already stated that she don't know if there is anything else she can do and I should just stick with the first foot. Even though I have only had the new foot for such a short time I can tell already that I like the feel and comfort of this foot over the first. I am torn between what to do. She is the expert and I am not, but at the same time I know that I would be more inclined to try different things with a foot that I believe in over one that I don't!

When I look at the leg it appears that it is not in perfect alignment and the foot is way out front of the pylon, in my limited experience wouldn't that be something she could adjust?

It boils down too how do you know it is time to look for a different prosthetist? I don't just want to run at the first sign of trouble, but I don't want to have any negativity about this stuff either.

These things take time, quite often feet that feel better because they are softer will cause socket problems because of the same reason, especially in recent amps. If the original foot was going fine then it might be worth going back and letting your stump recover and become stronger. Walk before you run and all that :)

In my opinion when a Prosthetist is resistant to trying new components especially at the client's request then its time to run to a new Prosthetist. Any foot as long as there is enough clearance can be made to work with your leg. If she says there is nothing else she can do to correct the alignment then she is either not experienced enough or she just doesn't want to be bothered making it work. Either way its time to run to a Prosthetist that will listen to your wants and needs and carry through for you. The PerfectStride 2x3 foot is one of the finest on the market. I have it and couldn't be happier with it. Good luck and let us know how you made out.

It sounds to me as if it is an alignment problem...why do you think she is so resistant to adjusting your leg? How much experience does she have?

I have been through several feet in my seven years as an amp, and each one required a bit of adjustment when put on the same socket..

I would talk with her, give your stump some time to heal, and then go for the foot that you are most comfortable in..If the newest foot works for you, than stick with it.

You do know, that if you are beginning to have doubts about your CP, that you can interview new ones right? It's one of the things that we seem to preach here on HM. Go and talk with the prospective CP and discuss with them, where you want to be and where you are..It will give you a chance to see if you think your choice would be a "good fit", so to speak...

And by all means, here in the USA, check out ABCOP.org..... It's the American Board Certified Orthotist and Prosthetist website..It's a way to find out about the prosthetists in your area.

hello!

this fake leg stuff is a challenge , for sure, also, it is not natural how we are walking now (but we are!!!)

the frustration of the leg not working and also the frustration of it never being perfect,,,,but the latter frustration should come after all things have been tried,

go back to your prosthetist and see what else can be done, other ideas, maybe get a 2nd opinion, i am one who had to swtich prothetists to get things right, and, when i found the greatest prosthetist , when he went on vacation, his psrtner destroyed me! got cuts on leg, etc

so one does need to explore, possibly see your current prosthetist again, he/she needs to really hear you and see what can be done

then, maybe, try another

dont give up ! things can improve!!