Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sroman89

Question for my lady...

Alright, well after a long move from ny to sc... My girlfriend (pffd/symes) is having some squeaking in her prosthesis. She has a runway foot and mostly keeps it in the normal position. We've noticed that it squeaks at times. It looks like it's that sock thing on the inside. It's torn and rubs on the foot shell. Can anyone post some help? We'd bring it to a prosthetist, but since the move she's having a hard time with insurance.

Nothing? =(

It doesnt always squeak, but it had been getting progressively worse. I tried to take the shell off but it feels like it's glued there so I just left it.

She probably needs a new sock.

Where can we get one? And how do you get the shell off? I didn't want to force it for fear of breaking a several thousand dollar foot with insurance atm.

My feet often squeak and it seems to be the foot inside the shell. It used to anny me, but now more recently i tend to ignore it. Have you tried Talcum powder? Or I guess that may make it clogged up. Hmmm, I cant think of any thing else to sugget. Hope you get insurance sorted soon. xx

My feet often squeak and it seems to be the foot inside the shell. It used to anny me, but now more recently i tend to ignore it. Have you tried Talcum powder? Or I guess that may make it clogged up. Hmmm, I cant think of any thing else to sugget. Hope you get insurance sorted soon. xx

Mine do too. Especially when I am changing shoes over, they will squeak for a few days then stop. There could be any number of reasons for the squeaking, I have a foam cosmesis and sometimes that will rub on the foot and make a noise, sometimes talcum powder helps here. Also get her to check what she is wearing between the foot and the shoe, ie. sock, stocking etc., she might need an extra layer.

Don't use talcum powder. That has tiny little pieces of grit that will cause early wear on the foot. What you need is a new spectra sock. The foot will be easiest to remove if you have a footshell tool, which looks a lot like a shoe horn. If you have a shoe horn, that will probably work too. I have not played with the runway foot, so I have never tried to take it out of the footshell; therefore, I have no idea how easy/difficult it is. I don't know where you can get a spectra sock besides from your prosthetist, sorry. Maybe try to run a search for them. Also, I would try taking the foot out of the footshell and just cleaning it. If you have some silicone grease, you can put that on the foot too. Hope this helps.

My prosthetist used some mole skin (for calluses) on my Elation foot when it started making that rubbing squeak.

As for the silicone grease, check with a CP (or your girlfriend's prior CP, the one that issued her the foot) about it.. Could it possibly gunk up with the carbon fiber dust that is always in the foot shells....

You might also ask her former CP if there is a remaining warranty on the foot and who in your area now, might honor the warranty.... Never hurts to ask.

That's the word I was looking for, the Spectra sock. Im pretty sure it's that. If you look down into the foot you can see that it's torn and it's rubbing on the foot shell. Also, she just asked me to ask, is there a way to get a new foot shell? It has stains and whatnot on it. She'll be asking her own questions once she gets approval. =P

She has to get a new footshell through her prosthetist for that specific foot. Not all footshells are the same, they are usually made for a specific foot/feet.

Spectra socks do not last forever and often have to be replaced. Not that big of a deal if you can just get a quick one from your prosthetist, he should have some in his office. The brand of spectra sock does not matter for the foot, just get one.

I have used Lysol (heavy duty) disinfecting wipes, they seem to take the ground in stains off of my prosthetic foot.. Around the farm, I am constantly getting dirt, dried manure from the stalls, and hay or weeds inside my shoe.. I have used the Clorox wipes as well... The only reason that I used the Lysol wipe was because I was in the bathroom and looked under the counter to see if there was anything there to help with the dirt stain before putting the clean sock on the foot.. It worked great.. It has also been mentioned before that Simple Green cleaner works as well. If it is a stain where the carbon fiber is causing a dust, that may not come off..

My Runway foot squeaked when the sock was worn/torn and rubbed against the footshell. The footshell is sometimes hard to get off but it's not glued on, at least it shouldn't be. Just takes a little upper body strength. Her prosthetist can get her a new sock and a new footshell if she needs one. No big deal.