Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
CanAm

Question for "Ice Ross" liner users

Hi all,

I am new to this website and I recently made my "introductions" in the section of the same name. Post a hello there if you haven't already.

I have a question for Ice Ross liner users:

Does your stump itch when you take off your liner at bedtime? Mine has since the first day I put it on 15+ years ago. If you know of something that has cured this for you (like soap & water, creams, ointments, lotions, or talcum powders etc) please let me know. I am really looking for common household solutions if possible.

Good post Canam.

Man there is nothing like that good scritch when I take my liner off. My wife thinks I'm just goofy, but it feels soooooo goooood! :biggrin:

Hello again Erik! Do you prefer I call you Erik, or Trailmaster Toby?

I agree. The scratching feels great! Too great in fact! For me, once I start scratching I just can't stop until I start breaking the skin on my stump. Then it's a hurtful mess, and the following day it hurts to wear my leg. After a couple days the hurting stops, but then it starts to itch all over again. I've been in this kind of cycle for 15+ years now, and I am looking for something to help me break it.

For my "itchy nights," I've found that massaging my stump with a good unscented hand lotion (I use Vaseline Intensive Care), and then putting on a lightweight sock makes a big difference. Like you, CanAm, if I start scratching, I'm going to rub myself raw!

Have you ever tried benadryl cream?

Hi all,

I am new to this website and I recently made my "introductions" in the section of the same name. Post a hello there if you haven't already.

Does your stump itch when you take off your liner at bedtime? Mine has since the first day I put it on 15+ years ago. If you know of something that has cured this for you (like soap & water, creams, ointments, lotions, or talcum powders etc) please let me know. I am really looking for common household solutions if possible.

Maybe its the materials in the liner that are making you itch (not sure if I am right in thinking Ice Ross is silicon), I use a different type of liner to you and don't have any itching at all on my stump, however, do get itching from the sleeves that hold the legs on.

Thanks cherylm,

Over the years I too have also used different creams and lotions, but I wore a stump shrinker over it instead. Regular stump socks make me itch even more. I have also used ointments prescribed by my dermatologist as well as Sarna Lotion which he also recommended. All of these things have given me temporary relief, but that itchy feeling always comes back and eventually ibecomes too hard to resist.

I'm probably dreaming but still I hold onto the hope that I can finally find something that will stop this cycle I'm in dead in it's tracks.

Hi all,

I use a Comfort Ag under liner because the silicone makes me itch. If you contact them they will send you a free one.

JudyH

Hi mmarie, ann, and JudyH,

Creams just don't work for me, and I am pretty sure my liner causes this but I figure all of them will. But what is a Comfort Ag under liner JudyH? Doesn't your liner tend to lose it's grip when you wear it? Can you describe it in more detail and/or post a hyperlink about it with a picture?

Hi all,

I am not going to be able to come up with a cure for you, but I can certainly provide you with some prevention that works for me with my Iceross liners.

1. Clean your Iceross liners and residual limb daily.

Here is a product that Iceross sells with instructions.

http://www.ossur.com/prosthetics/liners/cleanandsimple

Here is a product line that ALPs sells.

http://www.easyliner.com/Skincare.aspx

Any non-alkaline soap free product will work with favorable results.

2. Lubricate your residual limb with a lite oil or ointment before donning your liner. Some off the shelf liners come pre-oiled, but it will need to be maintained.

I've personally had great success with products like Alps Prosthetic Ointment or Alps Skin Lotion, put there are many other similar less costly products that are available like mineral oil and petrolium, but the consistency is much thicker, so I've been spoiled by the application specific products.

3. Massage an itchy residual limb at night with a 100% Natural Body Brush. It's much easier on your skin promoting health, not skin breakage. You won't leave home without it.

I hope that this helps.

Hi mmarie, ann, and JudyH,

Creams just don't work for me, and I am pretty sure my liner causes this but I figure all of them will. But what is a Comfort Ag under liner JudyH? Doesn't your liner tend to lose it's grip when you wear it? Can you describe it in more detail and/or post a hyperlink about it with a picture?

Not all liners are made out of the same material CanAm.

I have noticed the same thing with the itching. I use a pure Aloe Vera gel imediately after removing the liner and it seems to help some. The scratching seems do nothing more than irritate the skin. I am intrigued by the comfort liner that Judy H mentioned. Seems like that might be a good option for many. As for myself, I'm switching to a skin-fit suction, so I wont be using the silicon liner anymore :rolleyes:

Hi JohnnyV and dalec919! And thanks ann for pointing that out to me that all liners are not the same. Frankly, until coming to this forum I never knew there were liners other than Ice Ross.

JohnnyV, doesn't lubricating your stump cause your liner to lose some or all of it's grip? Like dalec919 I too am interested in hearing more from JudyH about this Comfort AG Under Liner.

Here's the link to the Comfort Ag sock that Judy mentioned.

http://www.comfortoandp.com/prosthetic_pro...hetic_sock.html

I've worn the Ice Ross liners for 7 years now. The only time I get an itching is when they are new. I have found that when I bring them home that if I give them a good washing in the gentle soap that I use, I don't have near the problem. I have found a benadryl gel lotion that is made with aloe that works great to stop any itching I might have from any irritation, and the aloe helps the skin as well. Ossur, also makes the Dermosil liner, I'm not so sure that it won't say Ice Ross on it too. But, I have Dermosil liner too, and it is a silicone liner as well, it just is a little softer than the older Stabilo liners. About the same as the Synergy liner.

Like Johnny, I always wash the liner and my skin any time I take the liner off for the day.

As for using the lotions that have been mentioned, the prosthetic lotions that Johnny mentioned work best if they are applied right after you doff (remove) your liner and wash your stump. It gives them time to absorb before donning the liner the next morning.. The Alps moisturizing lotion that he mentioned doesn't seem to make my liners slip at all. It's a good lotion too.

As with anything here, rarely does anything mentioned on the forum work for everyone, but, usually, something mentioned works for some...hope it helps. :smile:

Hi Higgy,

Thanks for the hyperlink. That was helpful.

I wash my brand new Ice Ross liners with soap and water several times before I wear them for the first time as well. From then on I wash my liner every morning when I take a shower. I also rinse off my stump with cold water before applying a cream and/or lotion to it right after I remove my liner at the end of the day. Unfortunately, for me, this still doesn't control my itching. :(

I have a few questions from the hyperlink you posted:

1. So this Comfort AG under liner goes on between my stump and liner, correct?

2. Do I then wear a stump sock over all of that?

3. And this under liner doesn't cause the regular liner to ever lose it's grip, correct?

4. Since I am using a size 36 Ice Ross liner what size under liner would be right for me?

Thanks again for the info!

Honestly, Judy is the one that has to answer most of those questions.. I have a Comfort Ag sock, but honestly, I used it as a stump warmer when I had my leg off. The one that I got from my prosthetist was supposed to be worn under the liner, against your stump. For me, if felt like too much..Too thick.

But then again,if I am over about 8 ply of sock, I feel like I loose touch with my fit. Not secure enough.

As for size, I'm sure if you email them, they will tell you how to measure your stump before purchasing one..

I think a lot of it will depend on how much shrinkage you have in your limb. I would imagine if you have a good fit now, it might make it tight, or won't let you down in the socket as far as you need to be.

Once you have it on, I am presuming that if you still needed to adjust your fit, you would also add a ply sock, over the liner like you would ordinarily do.

What kind of soap are you using on your liners to wash them?

Hello Everyone,

I am allergic to alot of the creams that are used for the liner doning and and afterwords.

I clean my residual limb and the liner with HIBICLEAN after I remove my leg for the night.

I am in the HARMONEY E-PLUSE VACUUM system. I use a custom molded uretane liner.

Since I am alergic to alot of the creams because of sometings in them I use Eucerin to don my liner in the morning and rub on my residual limb at night.

Is there any othe products out that do not have petroleum or any thing with a scent in it I can use? I really have to be careful of what I use.

Hey CanAm,

A while since anyone added anything here, and sorry to chime in so late (I am not a frequent visitor). I use an IceRoss Silcone liner, and also experience a good deal of itching immediately after removal. Like many of the above, I find that a good wash with Hibiscrub (called thus in this country) then rinse with clean water, and allow to dry completely, generally stops the itching. If there is still itching, I use Vaseline Intensive Care Lotion, and try not to scratch.

Occasionally when it is very hot, I get welts and blisters along the edge of the liner. I find that these will burst if scratched, but are re-absorbed (most of the time) if left alone after the treatment above.

Cause? Well, in my case, I believe that although after 15 years using the IceRoss liner my stump seems to hardly sweat, on very hot days there is still an amount of sweat trying to get through. Because it is hot, and the body is a little dehydrated, any sweat produced would naturally be more concentrated. Personally I find that my sweat can be more acidic depending on what I have eaten and drunk the previous coupla days. So, when its hot, I increase my intake of pure water (as opposed to sodas etc) and stay away from wine, citrus, tomatoes and anything acidic. I also find that "itchy stump" often follows days when my intake of meat has been very high (barbeque etc).

I also get small areas on my stump where I have had the odd ingrown hair, or one of my scars is a bit "hard". These areas you can treat with a specific prosthetic product, but as these are quite expensive, I have taken the advice of a couple of ancient amputees and prosthetists, and used an ointment called "Vandol". Unfortunately it has gone off the market in SA recently, so I have been trying something new - "Preparation H". You may laugh, but I find a little of this smeared on the hard scars tends to soften them (without it, they may crack and bleed) and considering the purpose that the stuff is designed for, I feel confident in putting it on rashes and the odd small open sores. Its working well so far.

Cheers,

Mark