Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Trailmaster Toby

Rental car options

Howdy all!

I am going to do a little biz trip and will be needing a rental car. Has anyone found a company that has left foot accelerators?

I have tried Dollar, but they replied all they have is hand controls. I don't use hand controls, just the left pedal.

I have seen on the internet some portable units that you can travel with.

Any luck with these?

Erik, give Enterprize a call... I'm not positive about left-pedal controls (I'm a LBK, so I don't need them), but I know that they can provide a variety of "disability friendly" vehicles with a couple of day's advance notice. I've rented from them several times since my amp, and while I don't require any special accommodations, they have always been unusually helpful in getting me set up in a car.

Worth a try...... :smile:

I just use my left foot in a standard auto... no need for adaptions...

works for me too

I thought whe new the LH was the only option, its not!

Thanks for the replies. :biggrin:

After much deliberation with my wife, we decided to go ahead and order a portable unit that is made just for this purpose.

That way I am not tied down to a certain car and can make travel plans easier.

Also the fact, that I don't see my leg growing back anytime soon. :tongue:

After much deliberation with my wife, we decided to go ahead and order a portable unit that is made just for this purpose.

WHAT??!!! Our legs DON'T grow back???? :)

As a matter of interest, which portable device are you going for? I've been looking for a portable unit for a while - liked the look of the pfla unit at www.pfla.org but their email address doesn't seem to be working.

Although I can drive most cars without the use of a left foot accelerator, sometimes using my left foot crossed over or sometimes using my prosthetic leg on the pedal, I find I get more control with the left foot pedal - as I have 6 cars to choose from (only one of which has a left foot accelerator) and the cost of fitting a left foot accelerator is over NZ$1000, the portable option looks like a winner.

Regards

David

David;

I am going with the plfa unit. Their email just took awhile for them to get back to me.

You can give them a call at 260 637-4447. Seems to be just one guy or family but they have them in stock and shipped to me the next day.

I'll give a review after I try it out in comparison to my permanent one.

It's does cost $399 plus shipping, which I only paid $300 for the installed version, so hopefully this will be with me for a long time.

Here's a little update from Nevada.

I went with Enterprise for the car (got full size), used the left accelerator and it worked like a champ. I started with removing the carpet floor mat and found that the unit slides around too much. So went back to the mat and had no issues. My permanent mount is more stable and secure to start with, but once I got used to the feel of the portable unit, is was good.

This device can help if you have multiple cars for your use or travel alot.

I highly recommend it. :biggrin: