Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Amptrooper

How do you know it's the right thing to do.

Well, it is 1:50 am here right now. I can't sleep because in 6 days I am going to have my leg amputated by Dr. Jan Ertl.

I am so scared! How do you know it's the right thing to do. I pray on it and every time I do I get introduced to a new amputee

or something else that points in that direction. I have my local Dr. saying I should do more surgery but that the pain and swelling may never go away.

Dr. Ertl says amputate. I feel that amputation is the right thing but as that day gets closer it gets harder to keep a straight head about it.

I want to call and cancel but I know that would be foolish considering Dr. Ertl is going to do this for free.

Still, i just don't know. I have lived with this bum, unusable leg for a year. I guess even though it is not worth a toot you kinda get use to it.

It becomes the new normal. So, that makes it hard too.

I wish God would just come here and look me straight in the eye and tell me what to do. There are some cases that the gift of free will sucks!

This is one.

Thanks and God bless y'all

Amputation sucks, yes!!!! Putting up with a useless leg for the rest of your life sucks also. I don't know your age or level of activity, but I can tell you that I have no regrets from amputating my useless foot 5 years ago. I made the decision to be an active person for the years I had left (I was 47) and I am. I don't even realize that I'm an amputee except in the morning when I put the leg on and in the evening when it comes off. There are days when the leg sucks, but I figure those few days outweigh everyday of living with a useless leg. I hate crutches and the sooner I came off those the better.

I made my decision to amputate on a Tues and had to wait until the following Mon. It was a nervewracking week, but I just tried to keep busy. I wasn't able to work and wanted to be back in action as soon as possible. I went in Mon morning, had the amputation at 9AM. I experienced little to no pain. They released me on Wed. I went back to work three weeks later. Got a leg in another 2 weeks. Getting used to being an amputee takes about a year. Rebuilding your strength and retraining leg muscles is the hardest thing to overcome. Walking on a prosthetic leg is easy. Using that leg to it's potential takes time.

I still have days when I have a private pity party, but those days are few. I never did have a public pity party. I kept a smiling face on most of the time. A good attitude and great determination will make this easier for you and those around you.

Good luck on your surgery. Get some sleep.

Neal

I don't think anyone here can tell you, proof positive, that your amputation is the best thing to do since none of us walk in your shoes, so to speak. However, we can tell you our stories, our experiences, and our lessons learned from our amputations and situations.

Making the choice would suck.. When my foot was re-attached, I was basically facing the same situation, and then, it more or less was taken out of my hands.. They couldn't get enough good blood flow and it was slowly dying... the choice was made.......I do know this.... if my foot had remained, I would of been in for months, if not years of reconstruction, skin grafts, drains, etc.. As it is, after being in the hospital for months, I was up and walking within 3 weeks of being discharged, and it has been nothing but up hill since then.. Yes, I might possibly of had a real foot, but of what good would it been.

From everything that I have learned, you have the best preforming your surgery. From all heard, and several friends that have had it, it is a surgery that will allow you a very stable strong residual limb.

Good luck with your surgery, and I wish you easier waiting... I know that is what is really torturing you at the moment.. the wait.....

We're here for you anytime you need us.........

Well, it is 1:50 am here right now. I can't sleep because in 6 days I am going to have my leg amputated by Dr. Jan Ertl.

I am so scared! How do you know it's the right thing to do. I pray on it and every time I do I get introduced to a new amputee

or something else that points in that direction. I have my local Dr. saying I should do more surgery but that the pain and swelling may never go away.

Dr. Ertl says amputate. I feel that amputation is the right thing but as that day gets closer it gets harder to keep a straight head about it.

I want to call and cancel but I know that would be foolish considering Dr. Ertl is going to do this for free.

Still, i just don't know. I have lived with this bum, unusable leg for a year. I guess even though it is not worth a toot you kinda get use to it.

I wish God would just come here and look me straight in the eye and tell me what to do. There are some cases that the gift of free will sucks!

This is one.

I think everyone is scared before an op, and you never know completely if you have made the right decision, just have to weigh up the pros and cons and be confident you have made the best choice you can. First time round I had an accident and had no choice or knowlege that my legs were going to be amputated, maybe that is easier than having the worrying beforehand. Last year I had a revision amp., and agonised over whether I would or wouldn't have it done for several years. The couple of weeks before the actual op., I was feeling much the same as you, really scared I was making the right decision, and a whole list of 'what ifs' even though I was only in reality having a bit more taken off and already an amputee, and had been for many years.

No one can tell you its the right or wrong thing to do, you have to make the choice yourself, but you know I spoke to others waiting for some major elective ops and most of them felt the same, right before.

Hope things work out for you.

Ann

As Higgy stated not one of us can tell you its the right thing! I have only been an amp for a little over four months and can tell you it was the best decision that I ever made(medically). I had a bum foot for many years and went through 7 different surgeries on said foot in 10 years. I used crutches and a wheelchair for the better part of the last three years before my surgery cause the pain was horrible. I never even thought about amputation until I met another amp and saw how much more he could do than me, and I had a "REAL" foot. When I brought it up to my ortho he immediately said he thought for years that I would be better off!

Even tho I brought it up, it still took me 8 months to finally agree and go through with it. For those 8 months I tried to do my own reasearch and found that I couldnt do much cause every time I tried to look, it made me feel sick to my stomach. Much like you and probably all elective amps the months and weeks before were agonizing( and the worse part of it all). Having said that now I can tell you for sure(for me) those weeks were so much worse than the actual surgery and my recovery. I had surgery on a tuesday and went home on thursday. I was up out of bed the same day sitting in the chair next to my hospital bed, I was finally out of pain and at peace with my decision. I knew right then and there it was the right decision, and couldnt believe how much I agonized over the decision.

I have had my prosthesis for a little over 2 months and it has been fantastic, my wheelchair is sitting in the house collecting dust, it only get used at night when not wearing the leg. I can now get out and play with my 2 year old in the yard, for the first time in his life he has a normal daddy. Not only am I MUCH happier now so is he. It might sound crazy to some but, I now wish I had done this sooner and not wasted so many years on a piece of skin and bone holding me back from the life I wanted.

Good Luck, God Bless and try to get some rest!

This is one.

Hi

I can understand how you're feeling right now as I am being faced with another amputation. The first time around was because of trauma and had my foot partially amputated. I have done great for the last 18 yrs until 2 years ago I started having problems. I have been off work and just 6 months ago the pain got worse. I can't walk for too long anymore.

I had a ct scan done and it's the soft tissue, nothing can be done to fix it. So, I am now having to make the decision to amputate.....but to a symes or bk?? I am going to see the Dr who would amputate in October....I struggle with this everyday. BUT I only want my life back.....get back working, working out again....just to be active as I was!!

You're very lucky to have a great Dr who will be doing the amputation. I wish I had your Dr!! I live in Canada...I would love to have the Ertl procedure done if I am going to amputate but no one does it here....that sucks!!

It's not easy....but like everyone has said it's only us who can decide if it's the right thing. In my case it's probably the best thing for me to do.

I wish you all the best!!!

Take care,

Mary

I had no choice in the matter, unless of course I wanted to die. The decision was made Dec 22 and surgery scheduled for Dec 29. That was a pretty sad Christmas but I did the best I could. In fact, I felt like I was trying to make everybody else feel better.

It's a terrible thing to be looking toward, such a sense of dread and fear of the unknown, but I can tell you 6 yrs later I'm here and I'm living life. I really thought my life was over - NOT TRUE! I feel I began a new life, somewhat different, but in some ways better. I would never have known all these fabulous people here in my other life. It takes some getting used to but I know you can do it.

I will keep you in my prayers. Please let us hear how you're doing as soon as you can.

'Amptrooper',

Like Maria I had no choice in the matter either. If I wanted to live, it had to be done. But you see, I really didn't have to make a decision, it was made for me. Take a sleeping pill or a nerve pill; whatever helps you get through this....really it would be the same going into any surgery....you {or I} would be a nervous wreck. When this is over & you have your prosthesis and walking ~ you will wonder why you worried so much. You will be getting along fine.

Let us know how you are as soon as you can...it does help to talk about it with others who know what you are talking about.

God bless. :smile:

As an elective amputee, you have a lot going for you...I'm glad that the decision was "mine to make" instead of just waking up after an accident and finding that my leg was gone. Now, in my case, they presented the "repair again or amputate" choice to me only a few days prior to when the surgery was scheduled, so I didn't have a long wait. And having gone through three unsuccessful "repair" surgeries over the course of the previous year made deciding on the "amputate" option much easier.

You have a great option (with the ERTL procedure) and a fine surgeon with Dr. Ertl. Those are both things in your favor. While it's true that you won't really KNOW about the wisdom of your decision until after the surgery, that is true with every surgical decision one might face in their lives. And you've had time to do some research and some praying on the issue, which is also good...I went into my own amputation hospitalized and "infectionized" with MRSA, not able to do much in the way of research, and clinging to life. I did talk with my doctors a LOT, but then I made the decision fairly quickly and just "gave it up to the fates" that I'd made the right one.

Turns out that I did make the right one. After spending a year in pain, with a basically unusable foot (which followed a previous two years in pain with pain, surgery, and recovery in the OTHER foot), I was ready to gamble on getting a life back with amputation...and that's exactly what happened. I know that complications are always possible, but I've had good results with my own amp, and I've met numerous other amputees who have been able to get on with their lives after years of pain and disability by "losing" that painful and disabled part of themselves.

I hope that your experience will be a good one. Try and just put it in the hands of God and rest up for your new life and its adventures!

As an elective amputee, you have a lot going for you...I'm glad that the decision was "mine to make" instead of just waking up after an accident and finding that my leg was gone. Now, in my case, they presented the "repair again or amputate" choice to me only a few days prior to when the surgery was scheduled, so I didn't have a long wait. And having gone through three unsuccessful "repair" surgeries over the course of the previous year made deciding on the "amputate" option much easier.

You have a great option (with the ERTL procedure) and a fine surgeon with Dr. Ertl. Those are both things in your favor. While it's true that you won't really KNOW about the wisdom of your decision until after the surgery, that is true with every surgical decision one might face in their lives. And you've had time to do some research and some praying on the issue, which is also good...I went into my own amputation hospitalized and "infectionized" with MRSA, not able to do much in the way of research, and clinging to life. I did talk with my doctors a LOT, but then I made the decision fairly quickly and just "gave it up to the fates" that I'd made the right one.

Turns out that I did make the right one. After spending a year in pain, with a basically unusable foot (which followed a previous two years in pain with pain, surgery, and recovery in the OTHER foot), I was ready to gamble on getting a life back with amputation...and that's exactly what happened. I know that complications are always possible, but I've had good results with my own amp, and I've met numerous other amputees who have been able to get on with their lives after years of pain and disability by "losing" that painful and disabled part of themselves.

I hope that your experience will be a good one. Try and just put it in the hands of God and rest up for your new life and its adventures!

Thank you all so much for all your help and sharing your stories! It really does help!

We are leaving at 4:00 am on Wednesday. Or tonight, depending on how you look at it. I am really scared and nervouse but God will get me through. You know, he was didn't want to face the cross either but he loves us and knew it had to be done. I know it needs to be done if I want to get back to life.

God has blessed me with the best Dr. for the job and the best way to have it done. I will update y'all as soon as I can.

God bless you all!

Corey.

I know it's too late now, but it dawned on me that you should be looking for someone who's had a successful reconstruction surgery. Someone who is happy with their present life after surgery. I'll bet they are a lot harder to find than a bunch of amputees who are living their life the best they can.

I know it's too late now, but it dawned on me that you should be looking for someone who's had a successful reconstruction surgery. Someone who is happy with their present life after surgery. I'll bet they are a lot harder to find than a bunch of amputees who are living their life the best they can.

I am at my Mom's house in Indiana. I go to my appt. to talk about the surgery in the morning. Then I have it Friday.

I have looked and looked for someone even close to my situation who has has a success. I can't find a one. I even asked my Dr. if he could introduce me anyone. He could not. He did introduce me to an amputee but still wanted me to keep going with the surgeries. Dr. Ertl, who is said to not be very quick to amputate said he couldn't figure out why my current Dr. wanted to keep putting my family and me through this when it is just going to need amoputated in the future ut may have to be an AK if they keep cutting. I have been going to physical therapy for 6 months now. I asked them to introduce me to a success. They said that they could not and that they suggest an amputation. We have been toneing and strengthening my leg and preparing for the prosthetic. So, I am going through with this. My stomach has constant butterfly's. It is my Birthday to day. I got to see some friends that I have not seen in about 9 months. That was nice!

I'll let y'all know how everything went. Thank you all! You are all amazing people and truly a blessing.

Well, it's a day late, but Happy Belated Birthday Amptrooper. I would imagine that by the time that you have read this, you have already gotten through your surgery..Good healing.....

In reference to your last post, I think the butterflies were normal... Maybe, there wasn't anyone who could produce someone who had had more surgery and been a success because they are far and few between.. Also, here in the states, there are the hippa laws as well. However, that wouldn't of prevented them from calling someone and asking if they would of been interested in calling you.

Heal well, and have patience.. it will serve you well later.. And yes, I know that is hard to do at this point....

Happy Birthday Amptrooper!!!!!

It is hard to find success stories because there aren't many. I know a guy who has a fused ankle and is also in constant pain. Thankfully, he has been free of infection since his last surgery.

Most doctors consider amputation failure. In reality, there are just some cases where amputation is the best option. I agree that you and your family should not have to keep going through surgeries to salvage a leg that will most probably need amputating at some future point. Get the chop while you still have some stamina. It takes a lot of stamina to overcome an amputation. You're still young and you'll have the best possible amputation (an Ertl BK). After a couple of years you won't even think about the fact that you're missing a foot.

Good luck tomorrow. Get back to us as soon as you're able.

Neal

WISH ALL BEST TO YOU

DO NOT WORRY

YOU ARE NOT ALONE

TAKE CARE

This is one.

Corey;

Hope the surgery was a success and that your recovery will be quick.

Now the really exciting part starts... the future of all the possibilities.

Again, keep us posted and have a safe and easy ride home. :biggrin: