Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CanAm

IYO: WHICH PROSTHESIS WEIGHS THE LEAST?

In your oppinion which prosthesis weighs the least?

I am currently using a liner with a pin that locks into a hard shell socket. I believe my prosthetist called the knee I use a Safety Knee? And, I think I am using a Flex Foot. All of this is covered with a foam covering to resemble a leg. I have been wearing this leg for 8+ years now and I would guess it weighes close to ten pounds. Also, due to my other handicaps I am not a very actice person.

Can I go to a lighter leg and still keep the same outward appearance?

Thanks

I don't know much about the weight of different knees, though one thing I can say is that if the fit of the socket is good, you won't feel the weight so much. A poor fitting socket can make a limb feel heavier and with a good fitting socket you won't feel it anywhere near as much.

It may be the fit you need sorting, not the weight.

hello! i had a leg similar to yours, now i dont use a pin leg. but, the truth is, our "fake" legs dont weigh that much, i think 3 lbs, is what i was told BUT if u find out it is more, let me know!

im very very active and a prosthetic leg is always hard, im just glad we can walk

my best, sue

hello! i had a leg similar to yours, now i dont use a pin leg. but, the truth is, our "fake" legs dont weigh that much, i think 3 lbs, is what i was told BUT if u find out it is more, let me know!

im very very active and a prosthetic leg is always hard, im just glad we can walk

my best, sue

Depends if you are BK or AK, that will make quite a difference for obvious reasons.

Also, the function of a knee will make a difference, the more function a knee has, generally the more weight it has, as a general rule.

I don't know much about the weight of different knees, though one thing I can say is that if the fit of the socket is good, you won't feel the weight so much. A poor fitting socket can make a limb feel heavier and with a good fitting socket you won't feel it anywhere near as much.

It may be the fit you need sorting, not the weight.

I'm not unduly qualified to comment here, but I will pass on what the prosthetist at a private provider told Sue and I when he was assessing her for a new AK leg.

At their request we had taken Sue's current (NHS) leg with us - even though she doesn't use it - which weighs (I'd say) around 8-10 pounds. She asked him "Is it possible to get a light weight leg, cos that thing weighs a ton"?

Picking up the leg he replied "Not really much lighter than this, especially with a full cosmetic cover, though it won't feel so heavy with a good fit".

I know that just confirms onebluelegs comment, but hope it's of some use.

Hi oneblueleg, sueflayy, and suesman;

And thanks for the input from all of you. I have been a right AK for 15+ years now and I was just curious since I've been wearing this leg for over eight years. My socket actually fits fairly well, but I was figuring that all the newer components would be lighter now.

The prosthesis I had before this one had a Mach(?) Knee and it was heavier than this Safety Knee I use now. I think it was heavier due to the hydraulics it used. Also, when I was being fitted for my first "temporary" leg in the hospital, I remember the prosthetist telling me it weighed about seven pounds. I am 6' 5" tall and my stump is short so I am guessing with the foam covering that my leg also weighs between 8 & 10 pounds.

So what about this M.A.S. socket I read about on this website? Besides being more comfortable, isn't it lighter? Since the sides of the socket are lower it would make sense to me that it DOES weigh less.

Also, what about a foot that is lighter than the Flex Foot? Is there a lighter weight knee than the Safety Knee? Finally, has titanium been improved or replaced by a lighter metal alloy?

Thank you all for your previous and future input.

i can't relate to the weight of your knee or foot as i'm not familiar with them but sockets made entirely out of carbon fiber are slightly lighter (and more expensive). if you have any adapters on your leg , it will weight even more and i guess the cosmetic cover takes a bit of weight as well. with all that, with a well fitted socket you shouldn't feel the actuall weight of your leg. in the last 4 years i've had maybe 6 different sockets by 2 highly experienced guys . the first guy made me a "ischial tuberosity containment" socket with a shuttle lock (pin) - which was not good for me. it kept turning and it didn't feel like "a part of me". the 2nd guy though was a different story as he's a CAT-CAM expert which worked much better for me. even with a heavy C-LEG knee, plastic cover and a rotation joint , it feels great and i don't feel its weight at all.

Hi tomer, and thanks.

My socket fits just fine. However, my stump is real short so I figure the lighter the prosthesis the better.