Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Mary Farquhar

Thank You Heather!

I was looking through on your website and came across your contact info. I read that because of so many letter's and short staff that not all letter's would be read. But I decided to go a head and write a letter to you anyways, and it would be self healing for myself since my amputation was so tramatic.

I was so surprised when I received an email and a phone call from one of your people. I never thought this would happen. It was very heart warming to know that someone does care about the pain I am living everyday. For the first time in almost 3 years I feel that there is hope for me and that I might be able to get my life back again!! It's been a very difficult few years for me, but I now have hope!!

Thank you so much for everything you do for people, and for your website because without it I wouldn't have learned the things I have or to have been able to talk to people, even becoming friends with some. It is very much appreciated!

Mary Farquhar

• Like 1

Hi there

I dont know you and have just joined this site a few minutes ago and just to read your letter gave me hope.

i had an under knee amputation,on 17/2 /2016 then an over knee amputtion as first one did not heal ,i had the second one done on the 23 03 2016 and was in hospital form 6th febuary until 13th april as caught pneumonia followed by urinary tract infection,and lastly sepsis,plus a broken right knee which was in a cage for 9 weeks but no one knows how i broke it,the point being it has been swelled ever since the cage was taken off and again no one knows what is wrong ,plus the physios wont touch me as my vascualar surgeon can not explain the reason my knee and leg are swelled ,so just in limbo at the moment,so reall need someone to talk to and hopefully get me out of this depression i am feeling at the moment,i do have good family but can not rely on them 24/7 as all work and do have their own liveso any company going through a similat thing would be appreciated and company for me

thank you so much for listening

Renee  

Hi, Renee, and welcome to our little "family."  I'm sorry I've been so late in getting back to you...but when you first posted here, I was stuck in the hospital myself, going through my own little adventure in living with a badly swollen stump.  Have all the incisions from your last amputation surgery now healed?  Is there swelling on your stump itself, or just on the side with the broken knee?  (I'm assuming here that your amputation is on your left side, and that you might have put an unusual amount of stress and strain on your right leg, leading to the broken right knee...does that sound possible to you, or am I mistaken?)

Swelling can be such a frustrating problem, in part because it is so hard to diagnose and just seems to take its own darn time to resolve itself.  I know that my swollen stump drove me crazy!  Try to keep yourself occupied as much as possible...if you're not wearing an elastic bandage on your knee, ask your doctor about doing so and have someone show you how to properly wrap it.  Elevate your knee as much as possible, too...keeping it above the level of your heart can help with swelling.  So can ice.  I know that doesn't sound all that exciting...but getting you healthy enough to start "rehabbing" is a good goal.

And speaking of Physio...at the very least they should be working with you to keep the rest of your muscles and joint strong enough to help you during your recovery.  You may have to be very assertive about your needs through all of this...amputees in general are not particularly common, and amps with complications sometimes just leave health care workers "flummoxed."  Do all you can to advocate for yourself........I'm pulling for you!

• Like 1