Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MARTAN

stubbies protheses?

Hi all

i back again, ihad need and other surgery on my left leg.

now i have ampute my leg rak and lak. doctor says that is better for my a short stubbies protheses . iwould like to know if anyone has uses this protheses.

regards

Martan

Hey there Martan!

While I am not a bilateral, I have talked and worked out with a lady at the prosthetic office who just got her stubbies.

From what I have read and seen, this is a start to the process. You learn on this length for a little while and then your

prosthetist will keep increasing the length until you are ready for a knee.

There are plenty of bilateral AK's out there who can share more to this adventure.

Good Luck.

Hi MARTAN,

And hello again Trailmaster Toby.

Do either of you have an article on stubbies that you can post here while MARTAN is waiting to hear from others who use this prosthesis?

For those that receive the ACA magazine, the last publication (July/August '09) had a great artcile in it just for bilateral AK's.

I'll see if I can download it.

Hi all.

Thanks for your replys. I dont know what to do i think i´ll never to walk with then and by other hand im afraid for the look with these devices. my large is 1,84 m and doctor says with stubbies will be 1,48m more or less.

thanks again

I had stubbies for a while a few months back. It definately is a good way to work on your balance and learn to ambulate again.

I'm attempting to add a picture that I pulled from somewhere showing stubbies.

stubbies.jpg

kap Thanks for your request. the question is to be prepared to begin this new step. it was so much traumatic for you walking out home ?

regards

Martan, I only used them while going to physical therapy and around the the inside of the home. I never attempted to go out with them. I only had them for a couple of months and then moved on to a longer pylon with regular feet.

Hello Marten:

Methinks that you are still at the "newbie" stage of life.........wanting to be what you were.....NOW!!

In time, this passes and the need to be vertical and functioning to any degree outways personal desires etc. I never was in stubbies. I wish now that I had started out in these in the first place. Perhaps then my learning curve would have been shortened.

I am a BAK amputee. Those succesfull BAKs I know of all started out in stubbies and still use them today for certain aspects of their lives. I am now seven years old as an amp and even today, I want and have ordered a set of stubbie feet for function!!!.

I would suggest you have a look at my latest entry in the "Adventures of ED" under the "Tips and Tricks" category of this forum. Also, I included a bunck of pics from this years ACA conference that will give you an idea of a couple of other BAKs who use stubbies.

ED