Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
ann

Boots

Ok ladies, need your help here.

I haven't worn knee high boots since I became an amputee (40 yrs ago). But I know other amputees manage to wear them. So this year I decided to indulge, so I found a pair, right heel size, zip down side and wider than average calf which have just arrived by mail order.

Just tried them on and can't get my foot in. Anyone have any tips. (am bilateral b/k) Am beginning to wonder if I should have ordered the boots a size bigger than the foot. Help please.

Ann

I haven't worn knee high boots since I became an amputee (40 yrs ago). But I know other amputees manage to wear them. So this year I decided to indulge, so I found a pair, right heel size, zip down side and wider than average calf which have just arrived by mail order.

Just tried them on and can't get my foot in. Anyone have any tips. (am bilateral b/k) Am beginning to wonder if I should have ordered the boots a size bigger than the foot. Help please.

Ann

Hi Ann

I'm a RAK and have also tried boots without success.......can never get the foot in the boot. Someone did suggest to me once about trying to find boots with the zip at the back, or even taking them to someone (shoe repair place???) who could put an extra zip in ?? Have not tried this yet but its an idea.

Good luck, would be interest to hear how you get on

Tracy

Hi Ann,

just a thought, have you tried putting each foot onto a cheap supermarket carrier bag, it may help it slip in.

I know someone who wears ugg boots which have no zip, I always wonder how she gets them on!

If you can get them on. wonder if you'll ever get them off. Practice on your spares legs :unsure:

Lynne

Hi Ann,

just a thought, have you tried putting each foot onto a cheap supermarket carrier bag, it may help it slip in.

I know someone who wears ugg boots which have no zip, I always wonder how she gets them on!

If you can get them on. wonder if you'll ever get them off. Practice on your spares legs :unsure:

Lynne

Did try the carrier bag Lynne, because I think someone had told me that, or I had read it somewhere. But the foot still didn't go in. I think I need a more bendy foot ! LOL

I haven't tried boots but have used a knee high hose for shoes that are hard to get into. The hose really helps the foot to slide in.

Ann

Put a plastic bage over your artificial foot.

Judy

Put a plastic bage over your artificial foot.

Judy

Tried that Judy. We have now decided to try to go up a shoe size than I would normally wear.

Ann, did you try the hose? Just curious if it would work.

Hi all! I tried my daughter's Ugg boots (the short ones) on and they are a size bigger than my foot, and I could get them on. So, maybe if you did try going up a size, it would work for you too! Let me know! :tongue:

Ann, did you try the hose? Just curious if it would work.

I wasn't quite sure what you meant by the hose Marcia, I do wear either tights or knee high stocking type, over the knee highs they give me to cover the foam, not sure if thats what you meant.

Flip - hubby suggested getting Boots one size bigger too, so am going to send them back, re-order and try again.

Thanks everyone.

That's what I meant Ann. But you already have stockings on!

Not meaning to sound daft, but I have a below knee amputation and manage to wear knee high boots in my normal size (and ugg boots).

What really helps me get them on is a shoe horn! My foot slides in easily with it.....often after i've struggled without one for ages. I now have a few of the long handled ikea ones kicking around the house.... FAB!!

:)

I am an AK and have recently succeeded in getting on a pair of knee high boots!!! Unfortunately the boots I found and liked and were the right type of heel didn't have a zip in so there was no way I could get them on, so I got a side zip but in the 'false' leg side, taking it down as low as possible, and with the help of a long handled shoe horn got it on. This might be pretty obvious but i'm gonna say it any way.................trying boots/shoes on in a shop is a non started as to have any luck getting them on you have to take your leg off !!! (This it what I have found anyway)So I always mail order shoes and boots now so I can wrestle with them in the privacy of my own home!!!!! Might get some funny looks in the shoe shop if you suddenlt whip your leg off !

Might get some funny looks in the shoe shop if you suddenlt whip your leg off !

Oh, I don't know ... it's a long story, but I once took a foot shell (in it's box) into a shoe shop to find some shoes to fit ... the staff weren't too chuffed at first! :wink: I see it as my one and only Cinderella experience. :rolleyes:

This reminds me of a story from my "first shoe-shopping trip as an amp." I was on the road with a couple of friends, and we'd stopped at an outlet mall to stretch our legs. I'd had a whole bunch of adventures, traveling with my prosthesis for the first time, but I thought I'd done more-or-less OK at it...at least I'd usually managed to keep my sense of humor about it all!

I wasn't actually supposed to be shoe-shopping at the time...but the three of us wandered into a shoe store, and there they were: dress flats in my size! In two different colors! On sale! With the right heel height! Of course I had to try them on!

So I sit down and have at it. Of course they don't just slip on easily...and my shoehorn is back at home as I wasn't planning on changing shoes. So I ask the clerk if they have a sturdy shoehorn. It's an outlet store...of course they don't. But the clerk comes over and attempts to help me wiggle it on. No luck. At this point a reasonable person would have given up, but we all know that I'm not reasonable. So I say "the heck with it; do you mind if I take off my leg?" and I do so.

From that point on, it was a circus...the leg got passed from me to my shopping companions, to the clerk, to her colleague...everyone trying to get the shoe to either go on or come off! We were laughing and joking and having a fine old time...other shoppers came in and looked at us and generally turned around and left quickly...but a couple came over and joined in and took a crack at getting the shoe on. And...eventually...it went on! And then I decided that we weren't going to get it back off without my sturdy shoehorn...so I put on the mate, bought them, and wore them home!

I still go out shoe-shopping...but now I stick to full-service shoe stores that have some experience with folks with foot problems (if not necessarily with prostheses).......... :biggrin:

I thought I would revive this thread since the winter months are apon us.

This is my second winter with my hip-disartic prothestic. Last winter I wore only sneakers as I had just received my leg and was still getting used to it. During this past spring/summer I ventured into ballet flats and this winter I decided that I wanted to try to get a fashionable pair of flat "riding" style knee high boots. I really didn't think it was going to happen with my type of prothestic.

I picked out a great pair I liked on-line. Since my prosthetic straps around my waist there was no way I could take my leg off to try them on at the store unless I went into a dressing room! They finally arrived and the other night I sat down prepared for battle to try to see if I could get them on my leg. If not, they were going to be returned. I had ordered up a half size from my normal shoe size. I put a thin knee-high stocking over the foot to help the boot slid on. After about 10 minutes of work with a long handled shoe horn-Success!! I had it on.

It was a very exciting moment and I can't wait to wear them. :biggrin:

Congratulations Chrissy! That is a big deal getting boots you like...I really like those flat riding boots you are talking about...I did break down and buy 2 pairs of UGG boots this year and went up a size and didn't have any trouble at all.

Have fun with your boots...that is awesome!!!

Flip... :biggrin:

I thought I would revive this thread since the winter months are apon us.

This is my second winter with my hip-disartic prothestic. Last winter I wore only sneakers as I had just received my leg and was still getting used to it. During this past spring/summer I ventured into ballet flats and this winter I decided that I wanted to try to get a fashionable pair of flat "riding" style knee high boots. I really didn't think it was going to happen with my type of prothestic.

I picked out a great pair I liked on-line. Since my prosthetic straps around my waist there was no way I could take my leg off to try them on at the store unless I went into a dressing room! They finally arrived and the other night I sat down prepared for battle to try to see if I could get them on my leg. If not, they were going to be returned. I had ordered up a half size from my normal shoe size. I put a thin knee-high stocking over the foot to help the boot slid on. After about 10 minutes of work with a long handled shoe horn-Success!! I had it on.

It was a very exciting moment and I can't wait to wear them. :biggrin:

Thats really good Chrissy, glad you were able to get the pair you liked too. Must admit been so busy this autumn I haven't been actively looking for boots, you have reminded me though.

I recently tried on a pair of high boots with a zipper on the side. I can get it on but can't zip it up as I am a chopart amputee and my prosthetic is kinda bulky in a certain area so I can't zip up the boot. I wanted to get some fashionable boots, guess I'll have to stick to the shorter boot for now. Urgh!

Good idea to buy boots with no zipper and just get one put in, by the back might be better?

Mary

I recently tried on a pair of high boots with a zipper on the side. I can get it on but can't zip it up as I am a chopart amputee and my prosthetic is kinda bulky in a certain area so I can't zip up the boot. I wanted to get some fashionable boots, guess I'll have to stick to the shorter boot for now. Urgh!

Good idea to buy boots with no zipper and just get one put in, by the back might be better?

Mary

Agree Mary, zips can be a problem. Think for most of us b/k's getting knee high boots to fit we are going to need slightly bigger size round the calf/knee area.