Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Amptrooper

Now that I am an Amputee

Hey y'all,

I made it. The surgery took 7 hours longer then expected. 10 total hours. I am now an RBK.

The Dr. that did it was one of the best in the world, Dr. Jan Ertl. He said it was one of the hardest he had ever done.

He said I may need a small revision in the future as he just could not keep me out any longer.

He said it looked great right now but that he would have liked to give it a better shape.

The hospital I was in was horrible. And that is being nice! They have given me NO instructions as to the care.

Can some one please share with me what they know about first weeks of care.

Things like showers, pain when standing, warping it, exercise, anything that you think would help.

I could really use it. We are guessing right now.

Thank you all and God bless each one of you!

Corey

Glad you made it back Corey. :biggrin:

As to care, I can't believe the doctors and staff didn't give you any instructions. Can you call and talk with Dr. Ertl?

For me it was changing the bandage daily, keep it dry until the suture line heals and stay off any weight bearing, but that was my case.

Are there any friends that are nurses? They might be able to give you guys a hand and some good pointers.

Talk with your prosthetist about rehab options and what excercises you can start doing to strengthen your leg.

Hope this gives you some ideas and a starting point.

Good luck!

I'm so glad that you are back and it's over. I also can't believe that the hospital gave you no instructions as to care. In my case, my surgeon checked in on me every day the first week I was in the hospital and if I remember correctly, by the end of that week, removed the bandages and put the elastic wraps on my legs. He also made special braces for my legs,to keep them straight, so my knees didn't bend and become constricted. That's something you need to remember, to try and keep your leg straight and do not put it up on a pillow with the pillow under your knee. Makes it harder for you to straighten out your leg when you get up on your prosthesis and start to walk. Because I am bilateral below knee, I then went to another hospital mainly to begin physical therapy to see how I would get along and during that week, I was introduced to my prosthetist who put my legs into shrinkers (ouch) for the first time :) I was able to take a shower and get my legs wet the 2nd week. Then went home. Like Erik said, this was my experience, your surgery may mean you can or can't do the same.. Had my stitches removed the 3rd week after surgery, which I think was a few days too long since it hurt like heck when he removed them. I think it depends on the surgeon or what kind of surgery you had to have as to if they have to dress the wound. Mine didn't. It was covered, but no medicine or anything on it. They should have set you up with a prosthetist, and a physical therapist. I agree with Erik, can you call your doctor? You had the best surgeon, I would think he would not be happy if he knew they dismissed you with no instructions. Let us know how you are and what is going on...I can't think of one excuse as to why a hospital would do this.

Hi Corey

Glad everything went well, can't believe you have been given no advice after such a major op. My initial amps were different, but with my revision last year was given very 'clear' instructions when I went home on what I could do and what I could not do, and was given an outpatients appointment for a couple of weeks later. My experience maybe a bit diff as I had plastic surgery, had no stitches to be taken out (were dissolving kind) and until I went back for appointment which was the third week, it was regularly checked and bandaged by district nurse, no exercising and no showers, and leg was kept bandaged out straight. I was at home for a few weeks then went to a rehab unit.

Think I'd be getting back to them, if I were in your situation and asking for advice.

Ann

I was in a cast for two weeks. No bandage change of any kind. It was a little scary, but everything looked great when they took the cast off. From there, it was business as normal concerning showers.

Because it was an Ertl, I'm thinking that aftercare was just a bit different, but I'm not sure.. Check with your doctor, and maybe you could pm one of the people from your earlier post that have had Ertl procedures...

Best option, check with Dr. Ertl.. he alone knows precisely what sort of aftercare he wants you to do.

Glad that you are back with us.....