Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
snuba

where should I be

As a RAK for 6 months, Im walking with a cane for short distance's. I have some stump pain which is the reason for the short durations I can go. The questions is, am I normal? Am I where I should be for 6 months? At rehab everyone always says how good I do, but Im sure this is also what the tell every one. Any help with this topic?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, snuba, and welcome!

There are so many variables attached to becoming an amputee that it's hard to make a statement based on what little you've told us. What sort of shape were you in before your surgery? Had you been very immobile before, or fairly active? What does this "pain" appear to be? At six months, that could be a socket fit problem, which would make walking much more difficult. Or it could be phantom pains, or any number of other things.

I'm a LBK, myself, and at six months I was still using a walker for longer distances and a cane around the house. (Of course, it took me a full four months to get my first prosthesis, too!) Now, at almost five years, I still "sometimes" use a cane...I have some balance and weakness issues with my "good" leg, you see.

One thing I've found helpful is to not try to determine what's "normal." Instead, look at what you're currently able to do, compare it to where you've been in the past, and, as long as you're still making progress, you're on the road to normal. The one thing I'm concerned about for you is that "pain" issue...in an ideal state, walking with a prosthesis is not supposed to hurt.

Hi, snuba, and welcome!

There are so many variables attached to becoming an amputee that it's hard to make a statement based on what little you've told us. What sort of shape were you in before your surgery? Had you been very immobile before, or fairly active? What does this "pain" appear to be? At six months, that could be a socket fit problem, which would make walking much more difficult. Or it could be phantom pains, or any number of other things.

I'm a LBK, myself, and at six months I was still using a walker for longer distances and a cane around the house. (Of course, it took me a full four months to get my first prosthesis, too!) Now, at almost five years, I still "sometimes" use a cane...I have some balance and weakness issues with my "good" leg, you see.

One thing I've found helpful is to not try to determine what's "normal." Instead, look at what you're currently able to do, compare it to where you've been in the past, and, as long as you're still making progress, you're on the road to normal. The one thing I'm concerned about for you is that "pain" issue...in an ideal state, walking with a prosthesis is not supposed to hurt.

I was very active before the accident, I liked to swim, walk, bike ride, and we travel quite often. There still is some issues with the fit. I have trouble with the socks often, to little/ to many! Phantom pain gets bad the longer I wear the leg, they are trying different things to help this. Last week I went thru some steroid injections to try to help, which I didn't see any help at all. I can wear the leg a min. of 8 hours a day, trying to make it from the time I get up till bed, have not got to that as of yet. I do see progress so I guess I'm on the right road.

Thanks so much for your reply.

Hey Jim!

Progress comes with what you and your body can do. After the surgery the leg will shrink considerable once your activity picks up.

For myself, I got my leg Aug. 27th and was back to work Oct. 23 and getting a new socket Nov. 15th because I was using so many socks that

my leg wouldn't stay on straight.

For increasing distance, I became a treadmill nut. Log many hours on that darn thing. :tongue:

I would talk with your prosthetist about the fit and how many socks you are wearing throughout the day. Might be time for a new socket.

What type of socket system do you have and which knee.

I have Hanger's Comfort flex socket with a C-leg.

Keep asking questions, here and your prosthetist's office.