Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Madleggs

Skin Issues

Hi all I got a quick question about some new skin issue's I am having.

I am a newbie with all this amputee business so if this is a dumb question so be it.

I have a few spots directly over my scar line that after wearing my prosthesis for a few hours become really loose.

When I remove the liner the skin is very white and looks like It was sitting in a bath tub for too long, yes I do sweat alot. I dry my leg off about every three hours through out the day. It does not hurt at all, but looks really bad. It dries out pretty quick, usually in 20-30min after doffing the leg. I have tried lotion and creams with little success.

I just got a new socket but the problem started with my old socket which was really too big for my stump, my prosthetist said she thought it would get better now that I am in a new socket.

I am curious if anyone else had dealt with any thing close to this and what they did?

Should I stay out of the leg for a few days?

I just got a new socket and have a similar problem when playing golf and sweating a lot. The prosthetist said it was a water blister and suggested that I try adding a sock when that happens. That doesn't seem to help much. He did say to not pop the blister, just let it alone.

After a couple of weeks of this, a lot of dead skin is flaking off and it seems to be getting better. I try to make sure my stump isn't sitting in a pool of sweat for too long at a time, drying it off every couple of holes. I never stayed off the leg because of it.

I just got a new socket and have a similar problem when playing golf and sweating a lot. The prosthetist said it was a water blister and suggested that I try adding a sock when that happens. That doesn't seem to help much. He did say to not pop the blister, just let it alone.

After a couple of weeks of this, a lot of dead skin is flaking off and it seems to be getting better. I try to make sure my stump isn't sitting in a pool of sweat for too long at a time, drying it off every couple of holes. I never stayed off the leg because of it.

have you tried the silipos socks? i had similar probs, til i was given one of these, they have a silicone liner & this prevents sweating & also chafing as the sock sticks to your skin & stops the sweating, surprisingly, whci means no sweat dry skin no need to change socks so often & no spots etc

maggie

ps i'm also a rbk as result of m/cycle accident, my daughter was pillion but shes ok

Thanks for the suggestion, Maggie, I'll ask the prosthetist about Silipos socks.

I'm glad at least 50 percent of the riders on that motorcycle escaped unscathed. ;-)