Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
snuba

Foot hits pedal shaft

My foot hits the shaft the pedal is mounted to, some time's enough to stop me from pedaling. I use toe clips, and really enjoy riding. Anyone's help with this will be appreciated.

Thanks again

Jim

Hello Jim

There are answers to feet on pedals (and away from the frame), including a simple one that I use, which is to use BIG platform pedals, plus 'terror pins' which stick like glue to rubber-soled shoes. That sticks your foot to the pedal. Second thing is a 'kneesaver', which extends the pedal shaft 20-30mm away from the bike.

Come to:

http://amputees.proboards.com/index.cgi?bo...y&thread=41

and have a read. There's some photos of both the pedals and the kneesavers.

Allen, bka, London.

Hello Jim

There are answers to feet on pedals (and away from the frame), including a simple one that I use, which is to use BIG platform pedals, plus 'terror pins' which stick like glue to rubber-soled shoes. That sticks your foot to the pedal. Second thing is a 'kneesaver', which extends the pedal shaft 20-30mm away from the bike.

Come to:

Allen, bka, London.

I tried to reg. but have to wait approval, will check it out at that time. Thanks in advance

My foot hits the shaft the pedal is mounted to, some time's enough to stop me from pedaling. I use toe clips, and really enjoy riding. Anyone's help with this will be appreciated.

Thanks again

Jim

Jim I use clip on pedals and when I ride i have to use a small allen wrench and toe in my foot. Kind of a pain but it works and only takes a minute.

Abel's solution does of course work, but it also can cause problems - you might not be able to jump off your bike and walk a few hundred yards (for example round a supermarket or hospital) until you have re-adjusted the foot position. And if you DO go for Abel's solution, make sure you put masking tape on both the pylon and the foot, and mark the positions as to where they SHOULD be, so you can put them back in precisely the same place!

I still say that it is better to leave the leg and foot alone, and modify the bike, in this case by using bit flat pedals and 'terror pins', plus a spacer called a 'knee-saver' which moves the pedal crank an inch or more away from the frame.

However, you pays your money...

Allen.

Abel's solution does of course work, but it also can cause problems - you might not be able to jump off your bike and walk a few hundred yards (for example round a supermarket or hospital) until you have re-adjusted the foot position. And if you DO go for Abel's solution, make sure you put masking tape on both the pylon and the foot, and mark the positions as to where they SHOULD be, so you can put them back in precisely the same place!

I still say that it is better to leave the leg and foot alone, and modify the bike, in this case by using bit flat pedals and 'terror pins', plus a spacer called a 'knee-saver' which moves the pedal crank an inch or more away from the frame.

However, you pays your money...

Allen.

Allen is correct that you need to mark your your position before making any adjustments. I should have mentioned that in my earlier post.

Speaking of biking; Amputees Across America is looking for one more rider for its 2010 transcontental ride. We will depart Tustin CA on June 2nd and arrive in Vero Beach Fl the end July. We visit HealthSouth Rehabhospitals and Amputee Support Groups along the route. You don't need to be an expert rider or even a hard core athlete. If you visit www.amputeesacrossamerica.com and brousethrough previous years jounals you will see that we definatly are not athletes, we are not all young. But we all agree that it is not about the ride it is about the paitients we meet. I learned about AAA a few months after my accident and they totally inspired and incouraged me. If you think you might be interested please use the contact info on the Web page or contact me.

Hello Jim

Come to:

Allen, bka, London.

I tried to register.

I have to wait approval, from you

Iwill check it out at that time.

Thanks in advance