Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Freddy

Hip Disarticulation Prosthetics

Hi folks,

Being an AK since 1979 I do know a lot about AKs. However, my cousin's husband is having hip disarticulation surgery next week. I have been searching the web and called my prosthetist to get information for them. I found a prosthetist near them who builds this leg.

I am going to see him this weekend. Is anyone on this board a hip disarticulation amputee who could help me out with this?

Thanks

Freddy

Hi there,

I am myself a hip disartic and live in Australia. I have done quite a lot of searching for information in relation to legs. I have a young prosthetist who is willing to try different things. I have had one leg which did not work so well for me as it did not have padding in places where I needed it. I visited a prothetist in the US who works with Iraqi vet who have lost limbs and he uses body armor pants with gel bonded inside to give greater comfort. I know a couple of other disartic men who don't have those kinds of issues but they have been amp for many many years! I need comfort. I will get the leg on 5th Nov and am happy to send photos. My prothetist will be happy to share what he is doing. It has been a learning eperience for him! We use a socket that hugs your buttock and hooks over your hip bone. It does not go over to the other side as the old ones used to. He either used a velcor belt system or a ratchet (like the kind you get on a skate boot). I like the ratchet as once tight it does not move. Ask me questions and I will see if I can help. Good luck Linda .

• Like 1

Hi Freddy,

I'm a hip disartic as well, since this past Feb. I live in Philadelphia, PA. I still don't have my leg yet as I had a very bad reaction to the Vicryl sutures they used to sew me up during the surgery and have gone through a long healing process. But I have finally been cleared to start using my prosthetic.

I am incredibly blessed and fortunate that my leg will have both a C-leg microprocessor knee and a Helix Hip. They are both made by Otto Bock. The combination of the two are the latest in technology for HD amputees. If you can get the insurance to agree to it, go for that! (I fought my insurance company for a year just to get the microprocessor knee.) I have been fitted for my socket, which will be a traditional "bucket" socket and now I am just waiting for the rest of my leg to be made up and then I will check into the rehab hospital to do my prosthetic "boot camp" and learn to use it. Hopefully next month.

Please feel free to ask any questions. We are here to help any way we can. I am glad you found this place! It is wonderful and we don't have many HD amps on the board. Hopefully your cousin's husband will join us!

Best of Luck,

Chrissy

@LuckyLegs: Hi Linda! Good to see you! I haven't been around much lately. I hope things work well with you new leg.

Linda and Chrissy,

Thank you both for your responses. I was not able to see my cousin's husband before surgeryt as he was too tired for company and my cousin was ill.

My cousin's husband had his leg amputated yesterday. I have not heard the details of how much he lost of his femur/hip. He is doing well as of yesterday afternoon in recovery.

I saw the picture of the Otto Bock hip disarticulation prosthesis on their site. It looks very advanced. I sent a picture of it to them before the surgery. Eventually I will speak with him about prosthetics. The prosthetist I found for him has evperience with hip disarticulations.

I will let you know how he is doing as his recovery progresses.

Thanks

Freddy

Update

Surgery was last Friday and it went well. He has 2 inches of his femur left. He is a diabetic and was sent to Spalding Rehabilation Hospital in Boston where they have a team specializing in amputee recovery. I told my cousin to ask the prosthetist about experience with a high AK and hip disarticulation prosthesis. She is taking the photo of the Otto Bock hip disarticulation prosthesis that is on their website. I will visit him when his wound is healed and he is going to be fitted. He is working out on crutches and a walker.

Hi I'm a hip disartic too I dont understand how your socket works but sounds good if it doesn't have to go over both hips can you possibly post a pic of it? Thanks

Hi I'm a hip disartic too I dont understand how your socket works but sounds good if it doesn't have to go over both hips can you possibly post a pic of it? Thanks

The prosthesis is the girdle type with a hip joint and a C-leg. His stump is very short. He has great difficulty wearing the leg and is mainly using a wheelchair. When I visited he did not seem to want to use it.

Hello everyone,

My name is Macaela and I am currently in the process of trying to build a prosthetic leg for my cousin, who has HD. I need people who have HD to take my survey of five questions, for my class. I would love to stay in contact with all of you during my journey. Here is a link to my survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/r/9TYJQHY Thank You in advanced!