Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
CanAm

GOT CALLOUSES?

When I lost my leg in 1994 the doctors and nurses told me I would eventually get callouses on my stump. But for me that didn't start to happen until recently. Maybe it's because I'm not a very active person. Who knows. Anyway, I am just curious as to how to handle this.

GOT CALLOUSES?

BKA since 2003. No callouses here. :smile:

When I lost my leg in 1994 the doctors and nurses told me I would eventually get callouses on my stump. But for me that didn't start to happen until recently. Maybe it's because I'm not a very active person. Who knows. Anyway, I am just curious as to how to handle this.

GOT CALLOUSES?

It may be just because the leg is not fitting and you are putting pressure where you shouldn't be or haven't before CanAm. You might want to get it checked out with your Prosthetist.

our stumps change size, if weight gain loss , atrophy, i just went thru something similiar with some cuts on my leg since it shrunk a bit, i now added a sock, my prothetist said it might get bigger again, smaller,

see your prosthetist, maybe you just need more padding or an adjustment

i think this is common and can be fixed

take care

No callouses here either...amputee since 2001. Do you use cream on your leg? Might help. :smile:

been an amp since '91, never had callouses, i do use a cream like e 45 or diprobase every night, maybe thats why i don't get them

maggie

Thank you all for your thoughts and advice.

I do use and have tried many different creams, ointments and lotions. I have used one or more every night at bedtime for the past fifteen years. And, I also know that my stump can vary in size.

However, it just so happens that I AM going to see a new prosthetist this afternoon about something else, and I will ask him about my new callouses.

Thanks again.

Hi mmarie,

Are you a very active person?

I consider myself pretty active. I have a home, husband, 3 grandchildren, work part-time, shop, etc. Used to exercise a lot, regularly. I say "used to" because I can't seem to get motivated lately. Not because of any leg issue. Just laziness :smile:

i have a few callouses but i am very active i go to the gym 5 days a week plus ride bike i still put e45 cream on every day

i have a few callouses but i am very active i go to the gym 5 days a week plus ride bike i still put e45 cream on every day

hello do u mean you ride a pedal bike? this is my next goal, i have only ridden stationary bikes and giant three wheelers, how do u keep foot on pedal on bike? i worry about using a strap on pedal in case i fall and need to put foot down quickly, thanks

where leg all day and am very actiive.

mosturize stump at "contact" points getting up and going to bed.

Have issues when very hot - not a callous but the skin gives up.

Have discovered COMPEED blister plasters to be a brilliant fix

There is a small percentage of people who are at risk of "keratoderma" who may have an inherited genetic tendecy towards callouses- thats why some labourers who work on building sites get them on their hands, but others dont. In these people no amount of E45 or Diprobase will prevent them- they will only soften them. It is usually a sign of chronic friction/trauma though and some extra padding may relieve them.