Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CanAm

Hanger ComfortFlex Socket System

Hi all,

Is anyone out there using the Hanger ComfortFlex socket? If so, what do you think of it?

Hi there CanAm!

I have the Hanger socket and really enjoy it. Now it's the only socket I have ever had so I am not much to compare to. :tongue:

On the other foot (hee hee) this is my third socket that I have made, due to shrinkage and reshaping after a revision surgery, so I have gone through the process a few times. The first two we just did measurements, then I insisted on being cast for the third (huge difference). Since I am a knee disarticulation my limb is quite different than a regular AK in being that I have the end of my femur.

What kind of questions do you have about the socket, maybe I can answer those better than just rambling. :biggrin:

I have the Hanger Comfort Flex..and would say I like it. The weird thing for me is it is made to be flexable but I don't really see the flex yet. I think the plastic will loosen up over time and will probably give a bit more then, but it is still pretty new and I just don't notice it. It is easier to sit in though :) This is my third socket but first one from Hanger. the other two were made by a different company and they sucked--had nothing but trouble. Changed companies and started going to Hanger --things got better. I am having a lot of trouble with pain on the bottom of my stump--but we think that is do to me bottoming out on the NOT RIGHT socket I had from the other company--So I think I did some damage to that area along with it just still trying to heal from the amputation.---With that said though--I am having a lot better luck with the Hanger socket and the Hanger team in general. they have been a great company!!

Thanks Anthony's Mom and Trailmaster Toby!

It's good to know you like the Hanger ComfortFlex socket. I went to see a new prosthetist last week for a liner that didn't make me itch and he was showing that socket to me.

I think the fact that you both like it, and hearing that it is less uncomfortable when sitting is why I posted my question. This new prosthetist and the articles I've read on it were all positive about it, but I wanted to get some actual unbiased user oppinions too. So thanks.

The prosthetist also said it was three pounds lighter than the one I have now, since mine was made 8+ years ago and it's like solid hard plastic. To me that statement sounded a little hard to believe though since I'm 6'5" and I figure my whole prosthesis weighs 7-10 pounds. I DO believe it IS lighter though, but just not that much.

Anyway, thanks. I was just curious and looking ahead. Times are tough financially these days so I went ahead and ordered the hypoallergenic liner I came in for, plus a sock and a shrinker. The 20% I have to pay for those items will be around $112 and THAT I can afford. But, my 20% cost to replace my old socket with this new ComfortFlex will run me over a $1000 and that will have to wait for now.

I have a Comfort Flex socket as a LAK. I use a more firmer plastic that still is flexable but not flimsey. Also, I pull my stump into the socket using the parachute material. There is no liner as my skin is tight against the plastic socket which fits inside the frame. No problems at this time.

• Like 1

Freddy,

Are you still in your Comfortflex? I'm looking into getting one myself w direct suction like yours. I've ALWAYS had direct suction until 3 years ago I got the pin lock. I don't like it because I have to get liners, they bunch up inside my leg at times and difficult to line the pin up. I've been an RAK for over 44 years. Any thoughts?