Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
JohnnyV

Aimee Mullins and her 12 pairs of legs

Aimee and her legs are fascinating, humorous, and yes even "inspirational." She has a marvelous attitude toward her prostheses and a highly creative spirit!

However...whenever I see her in those "6'1"" legs, with those incredibly high, HIGH heels, it just makes my foot hurt! :laugh: I know that prosthetic feet really can't feel anything, but it looks soooo uncomfortable!

Maybe she's onto the way to comfortably wear stiletto heels??? :wink:

If I put on a pair of those """high"" heels the first step I would take would land me on my face.....in fact I think she walked alittle funny on them. But Yes that was a great video...enjoyed it very much Johnny. :smile:

How do you afford 12 pairs of legs??? I think it's great but feel it may somehow give people the idea that this is the "norm".

I've seen this before and I always figured that someone is sponsoring her and paying for all of those legs. I've done some checking on her before as a bilateral, but I can't find what kind of legs she wears. Anyone know what kind of system she wears? In reading about her, it seems like she has had her legs made in different countries, just don't know what kind it is. Doesn't look like a pin system.. As a bilateral, she has some really well fitting legs to move around like she does...twice as tough when it involves both of your legs.

I would love to know all this info. She definitely doesn't have what your typical amp has. Do we need to get some company to sponsor us?

I would love to know all this info. She definitely doesn't have what your typical amp has. Do we need to get some company to sponsor us?

Evidently so!! :) I have really looked into what type of prosthetics she uses now on a daily basis and can't find it. I also can't find an email address so that I could possibly write to get some names of some good leg people in the states for below knee bilaterals that she may know about...can't find anything! Ok...anyone on here know how to get in touch with her?? Happy Sunday to all!

That was great. Thank you. I've never heard of this woman before. I'll have to look her up. She's a great speaker.

I've seen this before and I always figured that someone is sponsoring her and paying for all of those legs. I've done some checking on her before as a bilateral, but I can't find what kind of legs she wears. Anyone know what kind of system she wears? In reading about her, it seems like she has had her legs made in different countries, just don't know what kind it is. Doesn't look like a pin system.. As a bilateral, she has some really well fitting legs to move around like she does...twice as tough when it involves both of your legs.

Flip ... she mentions Dorset Orthopaedic, which is over here in the UK ... so like you say it seems like she has the legs made in different countries. To me it did look like those legs were pin-lock, unless they were some sort of suction, as she didn't appear to be wearing any kind of sleeve to hold them on, unless she is wearing some kind of tights or whatever like HM's is using for Dancing on Ice .... interesting though the way they were designed, if you look at the back of them when she is turning .. the legs look kind of shaped differently (well different to how mine look) and maybe that is connected with the suspension. You are right she does move around quite a bit ... but think thats a bit of a necessity when you are bilateral ... I know I find it quite hard to stand still.

Marie .... I am with you with the cost ... money obviously makes a difference...and does give people the idea that this is the norm, when a lot of amps are just trying to get one leg that fits, on the other hand though, its shows what is possible.

Eag About those heels, although they look high, remember they set both feet up to accommodate them ... when I was younger I used to wear pretty high heels, and it was fine as long as the heels were chunky ... it didn't affect my balance at all.