Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
kennie

Spasm/clenching sensation

It is now some 3 years ago that my left leg was amputated ATK.

Occasional phantom pain, in the past intense, has not been felt for several months since practising ‘mirror therapy’. However an irritating spasm/clenching sensation (which seems to prompt the stump into

involuntary movement) occurs frequently through both day and night - at roughly 2 or 3 hour intervals. Although it could be described as a kind of pain (in a similar category to cramp, perhaps) it is not the type to make me go YOW - as the phantom pain did!

So far, I’ve been unable to control this; will-power is only very marginally effective, and a course of acupuncture has not helped.

I therefore wonder if this sort of discomfort has been experienced by other amputees - and would be very grateful for any suggested remedies that I could try

Kennie

I sometimes get a sort of "cramping spasm" when I've taken my leg off after only having it on for a very brief period of time (such as putting it on in the middle of the night for a "bathroom run.") If I've been wearing the leg for several hours, I don't get this sensation at all. When it happens, it only lasts a minute or two, then goes back to normal.

I also have an occasional somewhat painful sensation that will sometimes occur in one particular spot on my stump...it lasts only a few seconds, but may repeat several times once it starts. That one happens only when I'm wearing my leg. If I make a point of "stamping my foot" on that side, it will usually go away.

I've been an amp for almost five years, and these sensations have been with me for several years now.

I'm afraid that's the closest I can come to your sensation.... :smile:

Hi Kennie

I think we continue to get 'sensations' which come and go through the years, for whatever reason really, sometimes it seems no reason at all. I had my original amputations nearly forty years ago and a revision last year, but I still get varying sensations now and again, I wouldn't describe them all as painful as such, but sometimes they make my leg jolt or make me jump, they come and go, but don't usually last long.

Its probably only something you can judge, but if it was me, and it was pain that was new and beginning to bother me, (enough to make me even think about acupuncture) then I would def get it checked out, and also look get my prosthesis checked to make sure it was fitting correctly etc. For me personally, I know if I worry about my legs its liable to bring on or prolong any kind of phantom or nerve pain, so for me, getting it checked out would put my mind at rest, but thats just me.

Ann

I have never had any phantom pains, very lucky. Just at the begining I had some phantom sensations, toes or feet itching. Now I get an occaisional sharp, quick pain(s), but if I adjust how I'm sitting or lift myself off my butt it goes away. It may take a couple seconds or maybe up to 1/2 minute. I had read it may just be a blood vessel that I have cut off the circulation to or a nerve I'm compressing.

I hope you find relief in some way. Hang in there. :wink:

I didn't really have problems until about a year ago when I had a screw come loose. It was put in at my amp and held the tibia, bone-bridge, and fibula together so they meshed correctly. I have a bad habit of breaking things.

Anyways, now I have intense pain when I try to do much. I woke up this morning and it felt like a spike was being driven through my foot that isn't there. I have found some relief though. I am trying Lyrica, although I am not sure how well that is working. I am also using Lidoderm patches at night in the area of pain (bottom of stump). I leave one on while I sleep. Makes a huge difference and I totally dig them. Unfortunately, I cannot use them while I have my leg on :unsure: but I sure wish I could.