Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
keenan

hello, i'm denis - 35 y/o i'm expecting leg amputation due bad healing after bone break two years ago. i'd like to talk with someone who is amputee before my surgery

What "broke" on you, Denis? I became a left below-knee amputee just under five years ago, due to an unrepairable fracture in my foot. (They tried to repair it three times but all failed, looked at doing a fourth repair, but we decided to amputate since the site had also become infected and I'd been messing about in the hospital for over a year with it.)

I can tell you that, in my case, losing the leg turned out to be a good thing, as it let me get on with my life with no more pain or infection.

Ask any questions you may have...I'll guarantee that someone here will be able to "relate" and get you an answer.

i'm 35 y/o and i was very active before the accident. i have a lot of questions because i have never meet any amputee and simply i don't know what to expect after the surgery. i had bad fall 2 years ago and spend a lot of time in the hospital. i had metal frame around my leg for 14 months and then cast and aircast but leg is in bad condition and i can't walk without crutches because my shine bone is like sponge - i have false ankle just above real one and they couln't fix it. amputation is only solution and i'm very upset because my surgery will be in december. i want to learn more from other peoples experience.

hi i am dave like you i add bad leg like you i add 13 op befor i add amputee lbk but it gets better i still got to the gym plus i go on bike you have just to get on with it you will get on better once you get a new leg it takes time but you will be ok are you in the uk it wood be nice to see some amp befor your op

Welcome to the forum Denis, I'm Higgy, a 7 year plus left below knee amp due to an accident.

Please feel free to ask any questions that you might have. Someone here will answer, I'm sure.

Just pull up your chair, get comfy, and start asking any questions..I know time is getting short for you and I'm sure

that I speak for everyone here when I say that we would like for you to go into it as educated as possible.

Hey Denis,

Being in the UK too I can advise you the following. That you should get an appointment come through from an 'Amputation nurse', she will advise you on the drugs available to eliminate the feelings that you would otherwise 'feel' in your leg should you opt to have the procedure. You should also ask her if you can meet your local amputation group, if you're in a big city i.e: Manchester, London etc then there shouldn't be much of a problem or even if your hospital has a limb centre they will either bring a sample leg to you, or take you to the centre so you can talk to whoever is available.

I should mention that the 'leg' that they will show you will be pretty basic. I cried 2 days solid after seeing that thing, it's simply a cup for your residual limb to sit in at the top, with a length of bar going to where the 'knee' would be, possibly with a 'nut and screw' arrangement which allows you to when sitting down be able to 'twist' the nut and it will bend. Then at the bottom of the adjoining bar there is a 'foot'. I was advised I would use that arrangement post-op for UPTO 6 weeks though depending upon how you proceed, it may simply be a fortnight and then you'll be on the road to a nice new limb that will be suitable for your lifestyle.

It's also worth mentioning at this point that your 'new limb, that's suitable for your lifestyle' is dependant upon your local PCT and whether they actually have funding. The 'leg' apparently comes in 3 parts, there's the 'cup' which your limb goes into, this will be manufacturered by taking a mould of your limb this will then be taken to a limb centre where they will create a sponge type of foam insert that will fit into the 'cup' your residual limb will slot into the foam of course. Then there's the bit that replaces your shin bone this will be whatever they determine is best for your situation and again the same is for the 'foot'.

I'm advised the whole process should take around 6 weeks as I said, though this depends upon how things proceed post-op, if you heal quickly then that's good. If you don't then obviously that MAY extend the period.

If you can manage to do so, you should consider watching the following youtube clips:

Medical and Gruesome (Beware, unless you want to know what's going to happen whilst you're in the theatre)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzdMxFTjFFA

Inspirational

http://www.youtube.com/user/MyAmputationDiary

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ampedchick

That's all I've got for you I'm afraid.

So best of luck with your procedure hope it all goes well.

Dude

Hi, Denis...

Do you know whether they are suggesting an above-knee amputation or a below-knee one? A below-knee is significantly easier to deal with than above-knee, if only because you have one additional natural joint.

Dude has offered you lots and lots of information, and some of it may be relevant to your situation. Some of it also may not "fit" your situation. It may seem pretty overwhelming at first, but it helps to know "what to expect."

Since you have always been active, you might want to know that we have some very active members here. Hikers, bikers, cyclists, skydivers, runners, scuba divers...just about anything you might want to do, you can do (to varying degrees) one-legged. It's all a matter of how much you want it. When you're starting the fitting for your first prosthesis, you'll want to talk to your prosthetist about what sort of "activity goals" you have for yourself...they can help you get there with appropriate components for your leg.

Do all the research you can in advance...it will pay off later!

Hi Denis, I've been an amputee for over 27 years. I'm also a lbka and have had several legs. I'm now in a harmony vacuum assisted leg and I love it. The old legs that I had were the strap style and they were terrible for causing small infections due to the ingrown hair. Please check out all your different options and diferent companies that supply legs. Go to www.amputee-coalition.org and find out all you need to know. Please check out to see where your closest support group. They will help you. Also check out www.oandp.com. It's another great website. Jerry

Hi Denis,

Welcome to the forum! I am a three year old amputee. I was in a bad car accident and had a badly fractured ankle. Like Cheryl after three surgeries I had had it--three years in a wheel chair was no fun especially in our winters. The doctor really didn't want to amputate, but try something new and I said enough was enough and had the amputation. It was the very best decision I could have made. My first year of recovery was too slow for me, but I switched rehabilitation programs and got started and began walking better and better. Now I have a suction leg--different from vacuum--and a brand new Endolite Echelon. It is light weight--when I first tried it it felt like my foot was running and it has great side to side motion. I think it feels as close to a real foot as I ever thought I would have. So patience is a virtue, but you also have to advocate for yourself.

You have a tough decision ahead, but I hope you will have peace with what ever you decide.

Peace, Beth Marie

Hi Dennis

I have been an amp for just over 3 years right leg below knee welcome to the forum happy to answer questions if around alth tend to pop in and out a lot. However the regulars on this site are excellent and helped me so much in my recovery and new life with my leg!

hello again. here i am after a long time. i'm not amputee yet and my leg in worse than ever. i had serious health issues - flu and pneumonia and i couldn't go on the surgery 22 of december. i'm ok now and waiting new term- 8 of february. i'm tired form my bad health. i wonder what could go wrong now :(