Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Trailmaster Toby

Have you read this?

I have been reading the study reports filed about Oscar Pistorius chances of running a race with able bodied.

There are two distinct sides on the issue and the most troubling part is the comments people are saying about the whole thing.

Everyone that has commented thinks that amputees should not participate with able bodied because it's clearly an unfair advantage.

What's unfair about not having your lower leg, ankle and foot? Do you think we should run on straight peg legs?

I'm not meaning to rant and rave, it's just this issue really gets to me.

Aimee Mullins really has some good stuff out there to help voice a proper perspective, in my opinion.

Read up and comment what you think...

Articles can be found at amputeenews.com

I'm still not sure whether or not the aspects of Oscar's prostheses give him an "overall advantage" or not. I can see arguments on both sides. I am wondering, though, just how much emphasis the study gave to each stage of the running of a sprint. Oscar appears to RUN like a flash, but every race I've seen broadcast also shows him having real problems with starts...does one "even out" the other as far as "advantages" go?

I did have some real frustrations when reading all the comments to the article! I simply don't believe that able-bodies have any knowledge of just what, exactly, wearing a prosthesis entails. They're making conjectures based on their own opinion of what does or does not equal an "advantage" or a "disability." And I found the comment that Oscar should participate in the "Special Olympics" particularly ill-informed! While both programs are certainly worthy, there is a difference between the Special Olympics and the Paralympics. It's a sign of just how out of touch some of these commenters are!

One possible "plus" to the article, though, was the statement that all of the studies have focused on only one bilat amp sprinter, who just happens to be one of the best in the world. I do think that looking at a number of bilat sprinters might give a more well-rounded picture of how much of Oscar's speed is related to his own athletic ability and how much is a direct result of his prostheses.

It is, also, promising that the world at large is at least STARTING to look at "our" athletes as possibly being REAL athletes!

Well said, Cheryl! :smile:

I agree with the fact that they have only looked at one individual. I do like the comment by the Harvard folks saying they want to study a single blk so they can compare a "normal" leg to the prosthetic. I still believe that if the guy from MIT that is a bilateral would head the project, then the facts would be more focused on the ability of the athlete and not the "cyborg". :tongue:

I like the fact that Tiger Woods has had not one but two lasic surgeries and no one claims any wrong doing, but that is truly augmenting his natural body to better perform.

Anyone else?

I read an article this past week about this subject. Six unilateral paralympic amputees were used as study subjects to see if there is an "unfair advantage" in using Cheetah legs. The article I read stated that there was nothing advantageous about the legs.

It is further ludicrous considering Oscar was given the chance and could not qualify.