Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Trailmaster Toby

Hey all you AK's!

I was seeing my leg guy the other day about a wierd blister that developed on the top of my leg and he asked if he showed me the new Alps full suction liner. Of course I said no since I have never heard of this and he proceeded to produce this gel liner that looked more like the monster you throw on the wall and it walks down. :biggrin:

Well we put it on, sprayed some alcohol on and slipped in for a test walk. Needless to say I was running around the shop in disbelief. How could a liner with no ring hold suction and be comfortable? The amazing part was that it stretches like the dickens and conforms to any shape of leg. The reason we tried this was because I was having pockets of no suction or too much pressure with the traditional Iceross liner.

All I can say is that I have had this for the last 5 days, put it through a really tough workout and don't even think of going back to the iceross.

If you are an AK and don't really love your liner, check out the Alps, it made a huge difference to me and I think it will help a lot of others.

I was seeing my leg guy the other day about a wierd blister that developed on the top of my leg and he asked if he showed me the new Alps full suction liner. Of course I said no since I have never heard of this and he proceeded to produce this gel liner that looked more like the monster you throw on the wall and it walks down. :biggrin:

Well we put it on, sprayed some alcohol on and slipped in for a test walk. Needless to say I was running around the shop in disbelief. How could a liner with no ring hold suction and be comfortable? The amazing part was that it stretches like the dickens and conforms to any shape of leg. The reason we tried this was because I was having pockets of no suction or too much pressure with the traditional Iceross liner.

All I can say is that I have had this for the last 5 days, put it through a really tough workout and don't even think of going back to the iceross.

If you are an AK and don't really love your liner, check out the Alps, it made a huge difference to me and I think it will help a lot of others.

I forgot to mention that the liner costs about a 1/3 of the iceross! :biggrin:

Lynne,

Are you saying you can use these liners without suspension sleeves.....on a B/K amputee?

I wasn't saying anything Ann,

just thought the link to the Liner that Erik mentioned in this post would be helpful.

I think from reading the first post that they are for AK amps and as Erik has tried one he would be the best person to ask.

Lynne

Erik or Lynne,

Do either of you know if these liners can be used in a locking pin system? The link that Lynne provided didn't say anything about that and the picture of them makes me think it can't. Am I right?

Hi CanAm,

I really don't know but like you would assume not from the picture.

It is also a suction liner, and that is what keeps it on.........not a pin.

It looks good but will be inteesting to see how durable it is, it looks like it would tear easily because it has no material matrix like the Iceros seal in liner.

Why don't you contact the manufacturer?

Lynne

Just a note to say I wrote to them, BUT, I also found a variety of pin system liners by clicking on the word PROSTHETIC from the link you sent us Lynne. So thanks. :)

I have that system too Erik. the liner is crazy--but for me it has worked great! the only thing I have trouble with is that I am still shrinking quite a bit and pretty fast so I lose suction which makes farting sounds-which is NOT GOOD--haha but just push the button and it is holding strong again. My leg guy liked this liner for me because you can still add socks to take care of the shrinking issue.

I have that system too Erik. the liner is crazy--but for me it has worked great! the only thing I have trouble with is that I am still shrinking quite a bit and pretty fast so I lose suction which makes farting sounds-which is NOT GOOD--haha but just push the button and it is holding strong again. My leg guy liked this liner for me because you can still add socks to take care of the shrinking issue.

Now I was told that you couldn't add socks to this liner. Where do you put them? Under the liner?

Now I was told that you couldn't add socks to this liner. Where do you put them? Under the liner?

I haven't tried socks yet because I am still able to get a suction tight enough to hold--but I guess it would be under the liner--it would have to be because you need the slipperiness of the liner to get it on so I don't think it would work on the outside. I will let you know when I have to add--it should be VERY soon--UGH :)

Hey Erik,

Do you have to roll the liner over the top of your socket? My guy told me too to hold the suction BUT it tends to ALWAYS unroll and it just bunches up right under the rim of the socket--I would LOVE to cut the extra off the liner-but was wondering if you were told the same thing about folding over before I push the idea of cutting it haha :)

Hope you are well!

Cari

Hi there Cari! Happy New Year!

Yes I pull my liner up over the top edge, but of couse it slips down on the high side. Mine doesn't bunch, might be since I am a knee disart so my leg is very long.

I have poked a hole in one of the liners so I try to keep that spot on the low side so I'm not pulling on it to make it worse.

My understanding on trimming the liner is to make it easier to pull over the edge since it stretches so much it needs to be a little short of your socket.

Take care,

Erik