Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
flip

NEEDED - GOOD PROSTHETIST IN ATLANTA, GA

Hi All - have been having major, major problems getting a prosthetist who is good at fitting below knee bilaterals in my city. It's not a major city, and I don't know of one other healthy below knee bilateral person around, so there is no expertise to be found.

My daughter happens to live in Atlanta, Georgia. So I thought I would reach out to anyone who might know of a really good prosthetist in Atlanta, Georgia who has fitted below knee bilaterals. I am trying to find a place where I don't have to go and spend 2 weeks in a hotel in order to get fitted. That's alot of extra money. I know there are great places in Florida and Oklahoma City and believe me..I am at the point where I may have to go there. But please, if anyone has any names of reputable prosthetists who know what they are doing in Atlanta, Georgia and who have fitted bilaterals, please let me know. I am at the point of just trying to get any good names of anyone who knows what they are doing with bilaterals.

I am thankful for anything you might have, I am reaching out....thank you...

Flip

yes, took me a few tries to find a good prothetist. i live in santa monica , calif. to have someone make your legs far from your home could be an issue if, a few months down the road, u need more adjustments. i seemed to have needed them a lot, though, i use swiss balance in santa monica, ca, maybe call them and ask for suggestion in atlanta, they are really stellar

good luck

Hi Flip,

Here are 2 recommendations.

I use C.H. Martin Company, mainly because when I started with them, they and Hanger were the only legists in my insurance network. My only complaint with them is that they are not real quick on doing anything. Their main office is in downtown and have offices in Fayetteville and Stockbridge.

The second is Procare Prosthetics. My only contact them has been at the ACA conferences. They seem to be very nice and knowlegable. If they were closer to me I'd probably switch. I have a friend who uses them and praises them highly. On their web site, they say that that can cast and produce a definative leg in one day. Main office in Sewanee and another in Conyers.

www.procareprosthetics.com

C. H. Martin

329 Marietta St.

Atlanta, Ga. 30313

404-525-1533

Fax 404-525-9819

Good luck in your search.

You could get in touch with Scott Rigsby. He lives in Atlanta and is a DBK. I don't know how to reach him myself, but you could google him and see if you find an email address. He is fairly well known in amputee circles. He made history when he ran the Ironman triathlon last year.

Just got off the phone with Procare Prosthetics in Suwanee,Georgia. They seemed great. 3 different prosthetists in the office and up to date on everything. They mentioned Scott Rigsby also. I will need to find out when I can get down there, book a flight and check them out. They say what they do is when someone comes in from out of state, they book everything so that I can have a consult, and if I decide to go with them,do everything within a week if possible. They have alot of experience with below knee bilaterals..whew..

Since I just got back from visiting there this last week, need to see when I can get away from work and book a time. It may be a month or two.

Thank you, keep your fingers crossed...

I see you live in Illinois. McKinney Prosthetics in Gurnee, IL is who I switched to recently and I live in Milwaukee. It was worth the drive to find the right leg guy. Ray lectures also at NorthWestern U.

Ron Santo the voice of the Cubs and a long time star with the team lost both legs BK and he is a patient of Ray's. Ray uses a proprietary vacuum system that I swear by. No discomfort, no moisture and you can wear it all day long. I am an AK but he specializes in BK patients.

My first visit there a woman that flew in from India was just walking out with her new leg.

You have one of the best in your own state my friend.

Hope this helps.

CaptainKB - Thank you for your info. I knew about Ron Santo, but forgot about checking to see where his prosthetist is.

Both Ray and the prosthetists in Georgia all graduated from Northwestern. I have talked to Georgia today, will call Gurnee tomorrow. It actually would be quicker for me to fly to Atlanta than drive to Gurnee from central Illinois, they devote a whole week to only me, where they evaluate you, cast you, make the legs, see what problems you have before you go home. I can stay with my daughter while there instead of a hotel. My town has a nonstop flight to Atlanta which is pretty cheap. But, at this point, I don't care about the distance. If I need to drive to Chicago, I will do it. I will do my research on both. Both places specialize in vacuum systems.

Thank you for taking the time to let me know this so I can check it out. I have tried my best to use the local leg guys here.I have spent too much money and too much time with not much luck. I am healthy, with no skin problems, it's just that the leg guys around here have hardly no experience with active, bilaterals.

Thank you again, wish me luck...:)

Flip

I see you live in Illinois. McKinney Prosthetics in Gurnee, IL is who I switched to recently and I live in Milwaukee. It was worth the drive to find the right leg guy. Ray lectures also at NorthWestern U.

Ron Santo the voice of the Cubs and a long time star with the team lost both legs BK and he is a patient of Ray's. Ray uses a proprietary vacuum system that I swear by. No discomfort, no moisture and you can wear it all day long. I am an AK but he specializes in BK patients.

My first visit there a woman that flew in from India was just walking out with her new leg.

You have one of the best in your own state my friend.

Hope this helps.

Good luck, Flip. It's time you were up and running...so to speak.

Thanks Marcia! I'm up and running, but in pain...no more. One way or another, I'm going someplace else. Just got an email from a friend who is a pretty famous bilateral Mark Inglis...he brought up a very good point. Make sure they understand that I don't have to necessarily have the latest and greatest, I have to have what works for me...not what works for some big guy, but for me. If the latest and greatest is perfect for me,fine...but don't let them force anything on me. Mark is wonderful...look him up sometime on google, what a hero...

Thank you for always checking on me, you're the best. Not sure when I will get all of this arranged, but hoping sometime in the next month or so....

Sorry I'm checking in so late on this...I've been on vacation for a while and have not had much time on the old computer.

Flip, I wish you all the best in your search for a decent leg guy. It sounds like you've gotten some good advice here...and also like you've really been doing your reasearch! I hope you're up and pain-free soon!

I know a great prosthetist in Atlanta, but they only work on kids! Don't guess that would help you out much :unsure:

Good luck on getting up and running.

Kelley

Sounds like your friend gave you good advice, Flip. Go get 'em... :smile:

Have checked out 3 places in 3 different states. Have booked a flight for Atlanta, Georgia for the week of February 8th for Procare Prosthetics. I'm going with my eyes open and a heck of alot more wisdom than I had 2 years ago when this happened to me. Legs are very sore right now from ill fitting sockets, so am trying to take it easy before I go see them. Am even having to limit my walking around at work to going to and from meetings :) Usually, I'm walking all over the place..not now...ouch.. Thank you to everyone for helping me. February can't come fast enough. You all are the best...

Hello all! I haven't disappeared off the face of the earth yet, but have been busy! I have just gotten back from my 2nd trip to my new prosthetist - ProCare Prosthetics in Beauford, GA. All I can say is...WOW!!! I cannot express enough the level of caring and expertise that the owner of this company has. He spent hours and hours with me, weekends included. A brilliant, caring, compassionate man who really knows what he is doing. Top level prosthetists, and engineers from Georgia Tech, counselors to assist with anything you might need, and even a place to go for a camp to learn everything from running to swimming, etc. I got to meet some of the countries top triathaletes and even Scott Rigsby from the Iron Man was there. People from all over the country and the world have found this wonderful place. I learned so much. But none of this would be worth much if you didn't have top notch people really listening and knowing what they were doing when it comes to making sockets. I ended up coming home with the electric elevated vacuum system (the electric, just because it was the lightest)....and the coolest Echelon feet. It was so strange to actually feel my ankles/feet move again...what a difference! I finally found someone who knows how to build a comfortable socket and not have my shin bones hurt. These new legs and new feet are alot to get used to, but it isn't that hard when they are so comfortable! So much more steady than the pin system. I will go back in 3 weeks to a month to make sure there aren't any changes needed and have my coverings made. Just wanted you to all know that there is an amazing place in the suburb of Atlanta called ProCare Prosthetics and they are planning to be at the conference in California! I am so sorry I didn't find them when this happened to me almost 3 years ago...but at least I found them now! Yeah!!

I am so glad for you Flip ... it just goes to show the difference when you get a good Prosthetist and a good set up. Keep us updated with your progress.

Ann

That is great news!!!!

There are many fantastic prosthetists out there. The problem is finding them. I won't go to any of my local prosthetists. I've tried one and heard many bad things about the others. I've driven 100 miles for 5 years now to get my legs. My favorite legman was killed a few years ago. I'm still trying to replace him. The last leg I had made is less than perfect.

Give this lady a call also. Very good. Works with Hanger. And is in Tucker, GA.

Paula G. Katz C.P.O.

2258 Northlake Pkwy. Suite 100

Tucker, GA 30084

770-939-2640

Good Luck!!

Neal, I totally agree with you!! I have found an amazing prosthetist and I am so happy I took the extra effort to find him. You are so right. They are only 1 hour 20 minutes away by direct flight from me!! Any tough fits, bilaterals, etc....put Procare on your radar. They know what they are doing!

Thanks all for the encouragement, it worked!

I'm glad you found the RIGHT person, Flip! That's great news!

I'm going to be facing a similar situation once I retire and relocate...my lovely little prosthetist's office will be 430 miles away, and I'm not at all certain that my insurance would even allow me to go there if I wanted to make the trip. (I'd have the same general HMO, but northern and southern California operate as two independent regions...so we'll have to see........)

So...Flip...how did you approach finding your "right" person? And does anyone know of someone good in the California North Bay area??

I'm glad you found the RIGHT person, Flip! That's great news!

I'm going to be facing a similar situation once I retire and relocate...my lovely little prosthetist's office will be 430 miles away, and I'm not at all certain that my insurance would even allow me to go there if I wanted to make the trip. (I'd have the same general HMO, but northern and southern California operate as two independent regions...so we'll have to see........)

So...Flip...how did you approach finding your "right" person? And does anyone know of someone good in the California North Bay area??

Thank you Cherylm - so far, so good. Need a couple of tweaks, but will handle those when I go back. In my situation, I had to find someone who had done alot of work with below knee bilaterals, which seems to make a big difference. In my home town, there are only 2 prosthetists, one full time who doesn't have any experience with active below knee bilaterals, and the other is only here one day a week and has very limited experience with bilaterals, so I had to travel. I looked at ratings for prosthetists in the country and Procare is listed in the top five in the country and is the number one user of the elevated vacuum system in the whole country. I also came on this website and asked for help. By that time I was focusing on Georgia, mainly so that I could stay with my daughter to save on hotel costs, even though Procare also has it set up with a wonderful hotel down the street from them that also arranges for transportation back and forth to their office. If you would like, I would be happy to ask Stephen or others there if they might know of good prosthetists where you are relocating to. They are all graduates of Northwestern and the engineers are from Georgia Tech, so they seem to know people all over the place. If you want to either send me the name of the city where you are going to on this site, or send it to me privately, I would be happy to see if he knows of anyone. :biggrin:

I'm so happy you found what you need :smile: You deserve it. Life is so much better when your legs don't hurt! Keep us posted.