Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
snuba

C-Leg vs Rheo knee

C-Leg vs Rheo knee

Any one have any input here?

I am interested in unbiased opinions regarding differences between the C-leg and the Rheo knee. For those of you who have experience with both of these knees, your opinion is especially appreciated.

Hey there Snuba!

I haven't had the pleasure of the rheo but I do love my c-leg!

What are you looking for?

There's lots of pros and cons for both.

Happy New Year!

Hey there Snuba!

I haven't had the pleasure of the rheo but I do love my c-leg!

What are you looking for?

There's lots of pros and cons for both.

Happy New Year!

On a Total Knee now and have to make a decision on what knee to go with. Have a week or two to make up my mind on the knee and also what foot to go with.

What knee would be best for everyday, Im not into sports, but am very active! Since I have my choice, I want to go with whats the best for me. Im going tworards the Rheo so far, just seems like a good every day knee along with the LP Vari-Flex® with EVO foot from Ossur.

Hi Snuba,

Just a thought.

Is it possible for you to try out both knees and then choose the one that you like the best, I have heard of people doing that. perhaps you should ask your prosthetist about it.

Good luck with what ever you choose,

Lynne

Hi Snuba,

Just a thought.

Is it possible for you to try out both knees and then choose the one that you like the best, I have heard of people doing that. perhaps you should ask your prosthetist about it.

Good luck with what ever you choose,

Lynne

Lynne

Im trying to do just that, but trying to get some input from other's. Looks like I'll be able to try both legs, but just in the office, not in real life.

Prosthetist is pushing the Rheo, therapist is for the C-leg.

Jim

Hey Jim!

I've been looking at Ossur's site about the Rheo and it seems the only difference is that the C-leg has the second mode which you can set up for any activity. Mine is for golf. :biggrin:

I don't know how Ossur is about the warranty if you can have another manufactuer's foot or not. Otto Bock of course doesn't but I have the Journey foot and it does everything I need and I can't see anyone putting more of a test on it since I abuse the snot out of my leg, knee, and foot. :tongue:

I would really try both and try to find the differences in feel.

When I chose my setup, it was asked of me to decided on what I actually like to do, not wish I could do sometime. Makes it more realistic. Now for the stuff that I dream about doing is why I got my sport leg setup. I was fortunate enough to have my out of pocket paid last year and was able to get the leg paid for by insurance at no cost to me. That was a deal.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I do not believe the Rheo is available with a knee disarticulation version, so, if you have a long residual limb, the Rheo knee pivot point will be further down than you can get with a C-Leg (in relation to your "real" knee).

As a knee disartic myself, that and the 2nd mode (which I use for driving and other tasks) convinced me to go with the C-Leg. The swing phase of the Rheo does appear a bit more natural, in my opinion, but probably only noticeable to a trained eye.

I've done a demo on the later Rheo 2 knee...(which is not as bulky and used by some knee disartic.)

It feels really good when walking on level ground and gives an even more natural gait than the C-Leg, it feels awesome if you get the correct foot combination to suit you (and the knee) so try a few feet with it.

I noticed is that it requires you to use the muscles of your residual limb more (mainly extension), and it requires more accurate foot placement when descending stairs or it does not yield consistently, which you would of course get used to in a week or 2

By comparison the C-Leg is very confidence inspiring as it always remains constant. Rheo feels more like an advanced knee and requires you to be more in tune with it which some people prefer, C-Leg doesnt require much input really which others may prefer (its limited on types of foot you can use with it though)

All points noted, get a weeks trial on both as they give very different feedback and only you will know which suits you better (and they will give you a trial if you refuse to buy one without)

Would be nice to hear your opinions on them too

I've done a demo on the later Rheo 2 knee...(which is not as bulky and used by some knee disartic.)

It feels really good when walking on level ground and gives an even more natural gait than the C-Leg, it feels awesome if you get the correct foot combination to suit you (and the knee) so try a few feet with it.

I noticed is that it requires you to use the muscles of your residual limb more (mainly extension), and it requires more accurate foot placement when descending stairs or it does not yield consistently, which you would of course get used to in a week or 2

By comparison the C-Leg is very confidence inspiring as it always remains constant. Rheo feels more like an advanced knee and requires you to be more in tune with it which some people prefer, C-Leg doesnt require much input really which others may prefer (its limited on types of foot you can use with it though)

All points noted, get a weeks trial on both as they give very different feedback and only you will know which suits you better (and they will give you a trial if you refuse to buy one without)

Would be nice to hear your opinions on them too

Thanks for your input

Looks like Im going with the Rheo 2 and the Vari-Flex with EVO foot. Had the casting done a few weeks ago, so should be getting on with it soon. I'll keep you posted.

Perhaps a bit late for you to consider...........

I am ED, a BAK............always have been using C legs which I supose I always will. That aside..............

I have seen video footage between a "star" amp using his Rheos, being challenged by "star" amps using thier C leg knees.

The Rheo guy could not do many of the functions the C leg users were doing...........no matter how hard he tried.

I vote for the C leg, understanding that it takes the practise, experience and training as well as attaining of the "sweet" spot required for the individual settings for the user.

ED

Hey Ed,

Nice to have you around.

Do you have a link for the video footage you mention, would be interested to see it.

Sorry but I do not think this is around anywhere on the net. I spent a couple of weeks at a prot place in the States getting new sockets and have my butt kicked in their boot camp. During that time, I was taken to their video room to watch hours of stuff. I can only say what I saw. I only know what I know.........that these two systems and amps were brought together in one place to compare........side by side each system's capability. The Rheo guy was their best BAK and the C Leg guys were the best that I know of.

Now I know that the skillsets of the individual amp are extremely important and are a huge factor when using ANY knee unit, but when the Rheo people are strutting their stuff in this kind of situation, I can only assume that their amp's skillset was high. Assuming this, the amp wearing the Rheos could not match the visual finness of the C Leg wearers nor could he accomplish a lot of what the C Leg guys were doing..............and he tried again and again to no success.

I am not saying that one is better than the other, but I am very aware of several very successfull BAKs and they all wear C Legs. I am not, to date aware of one wearing the Rheo and God knows I've hunted for them for the last seven glorious years.

Myself, since I started on Clegs, I will only use them. In the near future, I will only use the next X2 generation of C Leg 'cause I've seen video concerning them also. I am so looking forward to attaining the ability to walk backwards if necessary without having a knee collaspe and have a knee that compensates for my lack of skill doing stairs etc.

ED

I am so looking forward to attaining the ability to walk backwards if necessary without having a knee collaspe and have a knee that compensates for my lack of skill doing stairs etc.

ED

I saw this in a video, and was surprised then. Now I'm surprised again. You say this as if it'll be the first leg where this will be made possible!

It isn't, by a mile! Though I have worn hydraulic cylinders that release stance support by loading the toe, I have mostly been wearing legs for the last 25 years that do not. My leg allows me to walk backwards, sideways, up, down, whichever way I want without ever collapsing.

It has a free knee and stabilises upon loading anywhere up to approx 25 deg from straight, this talk of something I've always took for granted as if it's a first makes me smile a little.

this talk of something I've always took for granted as if it's a first makes me smile a little.

Understood and quite interesting!!!

Truthfully, I have never even tried it with what I have but in my mind I cannot see it happening. However, I will give it a go soon as I get back home. That aside, I am do for new kit and am trying to put it off until the new generation is available.

ED

I have had a Rheo for two years. I use an Elation foot, I find the adjustable heel very useful to tune a leg for the exact heel/toe action and have the same foot on my Mauch leg.

I had a limp before losing my leg due to messy left leg; on good days and people who dont me are surprise I am am amputee. The gait is very natural.

I did not get a chance to try the C. My Prosthetist thought was the best for me. When shopping around 2 other were going for the C; that I think is down to the ubiquity of the C its a safe prescription.

The Rheo is cheaper.

The C has 2 modes. the Rheo has as many as you wasnt which can be set up on a PDA. I don't bother as the knee adapts so fast.

Will look to try a c when it is time to replace.

there is nothing I cant do on the Mauch, but the Rheo is easier.

I have had a Rheo for two years. I use an Elation foot, I find the adjustable heel very useful to tune a leg for the exact heel/toe action and have the same foot on my Mauch leg.

I had a limp before losing my leg due to messy left leg; on good days and people who dont me are surprise I am am amputee. The gait is very natural.

I did not get a chance to try the C. My Prosthetist thought was the best for me. When shopping around 2 other were going for the C; that I think is down to the ubiquity of the C its a safe prescription.

The Rheo is cheaper.

The C has 2 modes. the Rheo has as many as you wasnt which can be set up on a PDA. I don't bother as the knee adapts so fast.

Will look to try a c when it is time to replace.

there is nothing I cant do on the Mauch, but the Rheo is easier.

I went with the new version of the Rheo, get bit in two weeks, I'll keep you informed.......