Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
CaptainKB

I am skiing again with my C-Leg!

I've had my prosthesis since 5/1/09 and my ultimate goal was to ski and teach skiing again. I've realized both goals over the last 35 days.

If you don't like hearing doctors or prothetists telling you you can't, fire them and find new ones!

Here's a YouTube url of my C-Leg in action.

Toby have you gone out yet with the X-T9? I'm getting that leg next week and will have to learn how to ski all over again. Oh well! Let us know when you get out on your board.

• Like 1

Looks good. I've never skied so I don't really know what goes into it. I would never guess though that you were using an AK prosthesis.

Looks good. I've never skied so I don't really know what goes into it. I would never guess though that you were using an AK prosthesis.

Thanks Neal. My dad was from Enid, OK.

The best thing is I can now volunteer teaching adaptive skiing to the cognitive and physically challenged population'

Captain

Thanks Neal. My dad was from Enid, OK.

The best thing is I can now volunteer teaching adaptive skiing to the cognitive and physically challenged population'

Captain

How cool was that!!! Anytime we can once again get that feeling of what we used to do before any of this happened is awesome! I was always a water skier. Not many hills in central Illinois for snow skiing, wish that I had traveled a couple of hours north and learned. Make sure you let us know how you are doing. This is exciting for you!! Good job!

Flip

Way to go!!!!!!! So happy for you!!!!

I will attempt skiing for the FIRST TIME EVER in a couple of weeks, so you have really inspired me!

Think I will PM you for some advice! ... :smile:

Karen

I will attempt skiing for the FIRST TIME EVER in a couple of weeks, so you have really inspired me!

Karen

Since when does it snow in Orlando? LOL

Be careful Karen. Have fun!!! I'm jealous. I need to get away, but I'm thinking someplace warm with pools and drinks with little umbrellas in them.

Nice video there Captain!

I haven't put the XT on the slopes yet, we are adjusting the socket since I have switched to a different liner and it is totally different than the iceross.

I am planning a trip in Feb. so don't wear out the snow cuz I'm on the way! :biggrin:

Karen

Since when does it snow in Orlando? LOL

Be careful Karen. Have fun!!! I'm jealous. I need to get away, but I'm thinking someplace warm with pools and drinks with little umbrellas in them.

Neal! It's really COLD enough for snow in Orlando... 28 degrees tonight!!!! :ohmy: But I will be skiing (hopefully) out west - Lake Tahoe!! Very excited and nervous, but just got some excellent advice from Capt KB that I will print and take with me. Will let you know how I do when I return, although I doubt there will be any video for youtube (maybe America's funniest videos!?)..... stay tuned...

Karen

That looks great CaptainKB. You can't really telll which is the prosthetic leg!!

I have just come back from my second go at three-track skiing (skiing on one leg) at Breckenridge, Colorado. Had a really great time and found it a bit easier this time as well which was good!!

I didn't know that you could ski on a C leg, I have heard of the XT -9 but I don't think the good old NHS will stretch to this for me so I'd better persevere on the one leg I have !!!

Here is a link to a fund raiser that my company, friends, neighbors and just plain old caring folks are giving to. The adaptive ski program at Sunburst ski area. This is a press release link.

I am just the poster child and it's not about me, but all about the program to raise money for equipment that is used with cognitive and physically challenged folks.

Fox 6, the local news station will have a piece on it this Saturday and I will be a guest bartender at a hot spot where drink specials will be made and the cost will be donated.

NOT ASKING FOR ANY DONATIONS HERE. We have already reached our goal even before the weekend event. Just want to bring awareness to giving back to those that maybe a lot of us can help.

I am very lucky to be alive and I feel the need to give back.

Volunteer if you can, especially with the kids.

Captainkb

http://pitch.pe/39618

Very very cool Captain KB!! Congrats!! :biggrin: Hope you get to enjoy many more runs before the winter in over!

I am going to attempt my first ski trip next month. It is not only my first ski trip as an amputee, it is my first ski trip ever! I could never hit the slopes before because there was always too much danger in injuring my fragile leg. Now that it's gone, don't have to worry about that anymore. Now I just have to worry about breaking the one good leg I've got left!! :ohmy:

I also didn't know that you could ski on a C-Leg. I do have a C-leg but I am a Hip Disarticulation Amp, and they say it is better to ski without the prothestic on one leg. I live in Philadelphia and I am currently researching mountains in Pennsylvania that will accomodate amputee skiers and can offer lessons. My sister and her family are avid skiers so they have agreed to take me for my first trip. Can't wait!

-Chrissy

I've had my prosthesis since 5/1/09 and my ultimate goal was to ski and teach skiing again. I've realized both goals over the last 35 days.

If you don't like hearing doctors or prothetists telling you you can't, fire them and find new ones!

Here's a YouTube url of my C-Leg in action.

Toby have you gone out yet with the X-T9? I'm getting that leg next week and will have to learn how to ski all over again. Oh well! Let us know when you get out on your board.

<a href="

target="_blank">

Have you progressed to reds+ since the video? I was was concerned about taking my weak leg out if I tried to revisit what I used to do (all ountain on and off piste) Goy the mojo fully back this year and will be closing out the year in Zermatt where younger daughter is doing a season.

Very old post. But to answer you yes blues so more of the intermediate runs now. Blacks and double blacks are from days gone by I'm afraid.

That is amazing. Thanks for posting your vids. Are you using vacuum or suction?

Hi Everyone,

While I'm hoping to get back to skiing this winter for the time being I've been out on my brothers sail boat over the July 4th holiday. A nimble deck hand not, but it felt great to be out again on the water. My sailing skills are improving and it was such a great way to stay cool!

We even lucked out and were able to see the fireworks display put on by the Boothbay (ME) Chamber of Commerce. A large, nasty looking storm stayed just to the south of us. Further luck held in that no one had a camera handy when I was getting in and out of the dingy and getting off and on the boat. I'm short, the hull is high...it wasn't pretty but I stayed dry in the end. I can't wait to get out again.

Jane