Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Tint

Icy Britain

Hi everyone

I was just wondering if anyone has any tricks for avoiding slipping over in our newfound icy country

I fell over 3 times last week! Its never been this bad in previous years!

Hi everyone

I was just wondering if anyone has any tricks for avoiding slipping over in our newfound icy country

Im a newbie to all this, being my first winter, and ice is very hard for me to deal with, fell a few times already. I'll be watching this thread very close.

Hi everyone

Hi Tint

My tip would probably be not going out in it unless absolutely necessary. Everything is at a standstill where I am anyway at the moment, roads are closed etc. etc. I have just ordered some of those grippers to be worn over shoes (they haven't arrived yet !!) but in the past I have tried tying socks around my shoes, gives a bit of grip short term.

Ann

Being from the hot sunny Deep South, I've never even given this a thought. But seeing as it's getting down into the teens tonight AND it's raining, there will be ice tomorrow. I'm planning to stay in but if I have to get out it'll be socks over shoes for me too! Thanks for the info. This cold is supposed to last thru next Tuesday. Brrrr....I'm not used to this.

Hi Marcia! Be careful out there, you aren't used to bad weather like this. We got another 7 inches of snow today on top of the 8 inches we still have on the ground. I have grippers, but honestly, I try to not have to go out if I can help it if it's this bad. This bad weather was predicted, so brought the laptop home with me and have the work blackberry, so I just worked from home today. We have high winds now whipping all that snow around into beautiful but dangerous drifts. We'll see about tomorrow, just may work from home again.

Be careful if you get out there. I would rather drive and/or walk on snow any day of the year than the ice that you may have....Be safe

Hi Marcia! Be careful out there, you aren't used to bad weather like this. We got another 7 inches of snow today on top of the 8 inches we still have on the ground. I have grippers, but honestly, I try to not have to go out if I can help it if it's this bad. This bad weather was predicted, so brought the laptop home with me and have the work blackberry, so I just worked from home today. We have high winds now whipping all that snow around into beautiful but dangerous drifts. We'll see about tomorrow, just may work from home again.

Be careful if you get out there. I would rather drive and/or walk on snow any day of the year than the ice that you may have....Be safe

What we have here are layers of ice over the snow, so its getting more slippy as the days go by. But we can't even get our car out - no one is going far. We were def not prepared for this, peoples own food supplies are dwindling and supermarkets are emptying.

:ohmy: It will soon be like the film 'the day after tomorrow' hope i dont have to start burning my furniture though

The rain stopped last night and temps are above freezing today so, thank goodness, no ice! Y'all be careful.

I've never tried the socks over the shoes trick but I have been out in the ice a few times now even though I do try and stay in as much as possible.

I stick by taking baby steps, I make sure that I put one foot down before moving the next one and I never put it too far in front, I find this stops the skidding element. So far so good, although it takes me a while to get anywhere.

When I have to go out in the ice & snow...I take extra small steps...and as Katie-D has said, I do not put my foot out in front of me too far & wait until I know I'm not going to slide before I move the other one. Have I made sense to everyone? :smile: