Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
JohnnyV

Heather Mills Dancing on Ice Message

post-53-1262930433_thumb.jpg

Dear friends and supporters,

I am writing to wish you a very Happy New year and to let you know my latest news. If you haven't heard already, I will be taking part in the TV show, Dancing on Ice for charity. This launches on Sunday 10th of January on ITV at 1800.

Training over the past few months has been hard - but you know me, I love a challenge! I can tell you ice-skating is the hardest thing I've ever tried.

Dancing or skiing is a doddle in comparison! I couldn't find any other amputees to advise me and now I know why - technically it's very hard when the artificial foot will not point or articulate side to side. But I'm

really determined and I don't care if I'm not the best skater there but if I can inspire just one amputee or a person with two left feet to be brave and have a go at something they've never tried before, it will have been a success.

Apart from the fun of competing, I am learning a brand new sport that I will be able to teach and enjoy with my daughter after having the privilege of being taught by the best. Chris, Jayne, Mark and Karen.

Thank you so much you have been incredible.

I would love you to watch the show every week if you can, pick up the phone and support me to raise funds for our charity campaigns.

I can't thank you enough.

With warm regards,

Heather Mills

Is ITV a British network/will we get to see it in the US?

Is ITV a British network/will we get to see it in the US?

ITV is British Network. I'm not sure about any US coverage, but if I find out, I will post it.

You can only view it if you live in the UK.... :sad:

After watching that, I feel like a slug :blush: I'd like to know how her leg was covered.

Thanks Johnny...these are terrific. I too would like to know how they made Heathers knee look so smooth with no lip sticking out...and yes, the covering is something else. Why can't everyone be offered the same good looks for their prosthesis. :smile:

Thanks Johnny...these are terrific. I too would like to know how they made Heathers knee look so smooth with no lip sticking out...and yes, the covering is something else. Why can't everyone be offered the same good looks for their prosthesis. :smile:

Hi Ann

I watched this also on Sunday night, and thought Heather did quite well. I think it looked like all the competitors were wearing thickish flesh coloured tights or a body stocking which seemed to be integral to the skates, so Heathers prosthesis would have been covered with this, but agree her leg looked a good shape. At the beginning of the programme she was shown putting on her prosthesis, that looked like a pin type, but it looked like it didn't have covering, and presumably wasn't the same one she worn for the competition, am thinking the one worn in the competition must have had foam or some sort of covering.

If you are reading this Heather ... get back to us ... sure everyone would like to know the details.

Ann

Hi Ann,

I read in the paper that she had a leg especially made for the dancing on ice show. It could be that it is all molded from the skate upwards to give more stability in the ankle. Not a case of putting the prosthesis in the skate boot but the prosthesis is the skate boot if you see what I mean. It aslo said that the problem she had was the lack of ankle movement in the prosthesis.

Thought she did very well and what ever happens......the lady had guts :smile:

Yes, she has alot of guts & talent.

If you are reading this Heather ... get back to us ... sure everyone would like to know the details.

Ann

Both Heather's limbs and HM Cosmesis are made by Dorset Orthopaedic in the UK. I recommend that anyone interested contact Dorset Orthopaedic direct at http://www.dorset-ortho.co.uk for further information. It's the best that I can do for now and will let you know if I hear of anything else..

Hello Heather here,

Thanks for all your support, some of you enquired about the leg I'm using. At first I had a soft ankle to get some movement but as I've progressed I've moved back to my old flexfoot, I use a Ottobok pin liner for security when I'm slung around but also to fill out the atrophy above the knee that makes my leg look skinny. The reason I have no lip sticking out on my prosthesis is Bob Watts at Dorset Orthopaedic really copies the mould of the plaster of Paris

precisely.

Discuss and take a pic of my leg to your prosthetist, wether your below or above your socket with time and care can look smooth.

In addition one of you guessed correctly all skater wear 2 sets of Danskin flesh tights one plain one fishnet. It could make the most cellulite of legs look incredible I've ordered a few so I can wear a short skirt in the summer instead of just the winter.

Any urgent question follow me on Twitter at heatherofficial.

Keep watching Hxxxxx