Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mcatlin

Knee presure for BKA

Hello- I am 4 months post op and into my 3rd temp. socket. My volume changes have started to moderate to about 3 ply's throughout a long day. I try to be as active as I can (walking 2 miles a day, down hill snow skiing, snow shoeing, general homestead project, ect). I have what I assume is the KISS system from others discription. I also have a long stump and a bone bridge. I have two questions:

1. How much weight should be on my patteller tendon? Seems like my knee is starting to get pretty sore by the end of the day. If I try to add sock ply's it seems to really start hurting my bridge area.

2. How much knee bend should I expect? I have been try to increase my stair climbing and have a hard time bending my leg (I have full range of motion without prosthetic on). My leg guy is reluctant to trim the back down. It appears to me that the socket, liner and suspention sleave all get bounded up behind my knee. Any tricks??

Thank You

You can try the Wave type liners from Ossur. I use one. They stay contoured to the leg instead of bunching up behind the knee. It is hard to retain full range of motion when using multiple plies of socks. I can bend beyond 90 degrees, but not sustain it for long periods of time.

It sounds like your trim lines are too high or you're too low in the socket. You might need to cut the toe out of the sock so as not to bind the distal end of the stump. You end up with a tube that you need to place just below the knee.

I hope this helps.

Neal

You might want to be careful about cutting back the trim lines on your socket me and the physio hassled my prothesist to cut mine back and the socket became unstable though i have a fairly short stump and i developed bruising on the bone on the front of my stump down the bottom this has yet to be resolved after three and a half months.

I was very active and running at four months after the amputation i was only following the advise from the physio therapist's i would try and take things easy i wish i had.

narooma