Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
hannahc410

how did elective amp effect relationships

As ive said in my last post I am just waiting on a date for a lbk. But one thing that plays on my mind is how my husband will feel about it! he says its still me and he will love me no matter what.But Im only 26 and im worried he might go off me. Can anyone tell me how their husbands/partners have dealt with it all ?? xx

As ive said in my last post I am just waiting on a date for a lbk. But one thing that plays on my mind is how my husband will feel about it! he says its still me and he will love me no matter what.But Im only 26 and im worried he might go off me. Can anyone tell me how their husbands/partners have dealt with it all ?? xx

It'll sound harsh, but the truth is, you should listen to him! ... and if he was to 'go off' you, you'd be well rid... my wife loves me for who I am... or so she says ;o)

It'll sound harsh, but the truth is, you should listen to him! ... and if he was to 'go off' you, you'd be well rid... my wife loves me for who I am... or so she says ;o)

Hi,

I agree, you should listen to him. If he does go off...then you`re better off without him!! I haven`t had my surgery yet and my b`friend has been right by my side with all the pain I am having. He keeps telling me he will be staying by my side even after the surgery and will be there to help me. BUT for what ever reason he won`t be there....then I know he`s not worth it!!

Mary

Hi,

I agree, you should listen to him. If he does go off...then you`re better off without him!! I haven`t had my surgery yet and my b`friend has been right by my side with all the pain I am having. He keeps telling me he will be staying by my side even after the surgery and will be there to help me. BUT for what ever reason he won`t be there....then I know he`s not worth it!!

Mary

Agree again, if he turns out to be the man you thought you married it'll never be an issue. my wife never faulted even now after I've given more bad news.

Give your man a chance to get used to things. Don't forget he is new to this as well. He already knows you for the person that you are, the amputation shouldn't make a difference but to begin with it will. It took my husband quite a while to open up to me, he still loved me but admitted that he didn't like the look of my stump (hey, i don't think its my best feature either, so why should he). Nothing changed in the relationship though, our sex life is just as good as ever, our social life hasn't changed at all but we did need time to get used to things.

Like Meggy said Hannah ... Give him a chance to get his head around it all ... you may have been thinking about it longer than him. If you can take him along with you when you see the surgeons or whoever so that he realizes what it all entails etc etc.

My hubby has only ever known me as an amputee, but when I had revision surgery knew he was really worried about me having it done, he doesn't like hospitals or anything medical, and I found it quite difficult to get his opinions because he said 'it was my decision to make' but he did come along with me when I saw the surgeons, before and after the op.

Same here..... it didn't really effect our relationship in any way.. I was injured so badly, that my husband didn't care if I didn't have a leg, he just cared that I was back among the living and going to survive..

I agree with the others, you have listen to what he is telling you.... if things were to change in the future, then, chances are, they would of anyway..

Leslie... glad to see you back as well....

Thanks guys i agree. I think it will be a big change but I do trust in him and he is a good man. Its more my insecurities about how my body will have changed that will cause the problems if any. xx

Thanks guys i agree. I think it will be a big change but I do trust in him and he is a good man. Its more my insecurities about how my body will have changed that will cause the problems if any. xx

Knowing that is most of the battle... sounds like you'll be fine to me

Our relationship is stronger than ever.

Sitting down or in the car, and affectionate hand may come across and she is still occasionally surpirsed to find a socket not a thigh!

Losing a limb is unfortunate, but it is not a whole identity.

Be of cheer!

Losing a limb is unfortunate, but it is not a whole identity

No it isn't. Good post, Caveman.