Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Karen

Ski + Me = Success!

Hi, everyone!

I thought I'd let you all know that, thanks in part to the excellent advice I received from Captain KB, I learned how to ski using my prosthetic leg (with microprocessor knee) while on a family trip to Lake Tahoe last month!!!! I can't describe the feeling of accomplishment and sheer joy I experienced when I was able to ski down that mountain with my two girls! :smile:

I was lucky enough to find a disabled ski school within 30 minutes of our resort, and they helped get me set up properly. As Captain KB said, having the foot and shin/pylon positioned correctly was crucial to skiing successfully. We spent some time experimenting with pads, etc. The first day I used two poles with little skis on them to help balance and make turns. I was speeding down the mountain in no time.... what a rush!!!!! My next lesson was at the resort I was staying at. I wanted to try skiing with "regular" poles, so that took some more instruction. It was definitely harder for me to turn LEFT (my amputated side), but once I got the hang of it I did pretty well. Fortunately, since we had over 7 feet of snow fall that week, any time I did miss a turn and wipe out it would be into a nice fluffy bed of powder!

I'm back home now, safe and sound, with lots of wonderful memories. I'd encourage anyone thinking about giving it a try to go for it! If your residual limb isn't long or strong enough to provide enough stability, there is alternative equipment for just about any circumstance! Below is a pic of my daughters and I after a run down the mountain. Hopefully it is sized appropriately, but if not, someone please fix for me.... thx. :blush:

post-1209-1265149539_thumb.jpg

xo Karen

Karen, even when I had two legs I couldn't ski...I'm terribly IMPRESSED! :biggrin:

The girls are getting so big. Glad you had a good time and didn't break anything!

Awesome job Karen well done!!!! :biggrin:

Great pic too

What a great story Karen. I'm so happy for you. Maybe I'll try it one day.

I am so thrilled that your trip was so much fun for you. Great picture, you look very proud and happy to be on the slopes with your kids.

I am actually trying the Mercury now that you had discussed on an earlier post. I just picked it up today, tomorrow I will be on it for the first time. Can't wait!

Wakeboarding in the summer?