Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Shorty1994

Stump Nicknames??

My Username on this forum is named after my stump!!!

When I first met my husband and had to do the whole 'Nice to meet you......and oh! by the way!!! I have half a leg' thing we got talking about my stump (hate that word) and when getting to know each other he came out with one day 'dont call him......(HIM) stump call him Shorty, and it's stuck!!! lol So now, not only am I a girl and my stump is a HIM, when ever we talk about my stump, its wee shorty. People look as us like we are mad but it made me feel better about myself when my hubby made up this cute name for my ugly, embarrasing STUMP!!!! My hubby's the best :blush:

It's not really an official "nickname" for my stump (and I'm one who has never particularly minded the word "stump"), but I DO "talk to it" sometimes, especially when I'm having a day where it's tough getting my leg on...and on those occasions, I call it "short stuff." As in, "Come on, short stuff, cooperate with me here!"

My leg is named Lefty the Leg........

Just call it my leg. No nicknames & certainly can't stand the name stump.....but, everyone is different. :smile:

Short Stuff!!! that's cute too lol.

By!!! the way dont mean to insult anyone by saying I hate the name Stump for my leg, as mentioned everyone is different thats just my opinion and also I got that name from medical professionals, thats the only name iv known my leg as......thats of course until I met Matt, my husband. And now I have a shorty lol

:biggrin:

Just fun!! :happy:

What I have left is a stump... no name, no personality, it's a stump and I've never felt the need to call it anything else in the same way I wouldn't have a special name for my left elbow or my right thumb nail... it's a body part simples

Everyone has a right to decide what they do or do not want to have their residual limb called. "Stump" has always been fine with me, but I know a lot of folks who can't stand the term and it's certainly fine for them to decide what, if anything, they want to call that body part and to ask those around them to respect that decision. :smile:

Let's hear it for variety!

Everyone has a right to decide what they do or do not want to have their residual limb called. "Stump" has always been fine with me, but I know a lot of folks who can't stand the term and it's certainly fine for them to decide what, if anything, they want to call that body part and to ask those around them to respect that decision. :smile:

Let's hear it for variety!

Here here!

I'm so glad you've allowed them to decide for themselves... phew!

I still refer to it as my left leg. I rarely refer to it as my stump. I have refered to it as my residual limb. Not so creative there I'm afraid.

What I have left is a stump... no name, no personality, it's a stump and I've never felt the need to call it anything else in the same way I wouldn't have a special name for my left elbow or my right thumb nail... it's a body part simples

B...O...R...I...N...G!!!!!!!! can always count on you OBL to reply with your......''no name, no personality,''........................''I wouldn't have a special name for my left elbow or my right thumb nail'', comments. Pointing down your nose at those on the likes of DLA and who have FUN pet names for their stumps.

Get a life!!!!!!

Aw well, prob going to stick to technical topics since it seems this forum is laking personality from some people.

Topic wasn't suppost to be about the word STUMP....it was supposed to be just a bit of FUN but hey ho!!!

I call it my "leg" as I still have my leg...I am missing an ankle and foot, not my leg...

Call me crazy :laugh:

I call it my "leg" as I still have my leg...I am missing an ankle and foot, not my leg...

Yea, I go with calling it "my leg" stump is something thats just doesn't sound good, not a good ring to it at all.

Yea, I go with calling it "my leg" stump is something thats just doesn't sound good, not a good ring to it at all.

Exactly!!!!!!!!

Like a few others, I also call him Stumpy...and it's definitely a HIM because sometimes he's a pain in the a**. The term stump doesn't bother me at all. I actually prefer it to the politically correct term residual limb, because for some reason that term makes me think of residue which is not what I think of my cute little stump.

Lorri

Like a few others, I also call him Stumpy...and it's definitely a HIM because sometimes he's a pain in the a**. The term stump doesn't bother me at all. I actually prefer it to the politically correct term residual limb, because for some reason that term makes me think of residue which is not what I think of my cute little stump.

Lorri

OMG it's Lorri!!! You've been quite the stranger lately. Glad to see you back.

So glad to hear from you Lorri! How the heck have you been??

I still call it my leg and my prosthesis my "pretty leg" as the fellows at Saskatchewan Abilities let me bring in material and they laminate it to the socket. I pick something that looks like country living.

Peace, Beth Marie.

PS I know I have been very absent this year, but I have one more paper to grade and then I can start on my holidays until I retire 30 June--so I will be more present next year. Looking forward to seeing you in Kansas City.

My wife named my stump "Herbie" years ago and that's what it's still called.

She has a name for something else but I'm not telling. :smile:

"Residual limb" is so PC and clinical but "stump" isn't so great either.