Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Cat

This should be interesting

Click Here and see what you all think.

Can leave a comment for him underneath

Thanks for posting this Cat, but not worthy of leaving him a comment from me.

Reminds me of an old adage: Never argue with a fool, people might not know the difference.

Amazing! Do you know anything about the guy, Cat? Does he make it his "thing" to be provocatively stupid? 'Cause that's certainly what he seems to be!

Oh My Gosh! :ohmy:

In my experience, I've seen facial expressions which sum up this dope's opinion. But they have always been on women's faces. :dry:

What people will write to get attention. I will not dignify his article with a comment as it will only encourage him to write more.

Cat, what an a--hole!

Wow, it's all I can say. Of course I'm more shocked by some of the comments that agree. So it's not just one fool but a gaggle.

I did comment. I can't stand that kind of attitude. He appears to be a respected writer. Pitiful.

He's an ignorant moron. He thinks leg coverings are plastic? Since when?

Do you know anything about the guy, Cat?

Nope

I hope the Grim Reaper visits him early. I also hope the moron doesnt have any offspring to pollute their minds with that kind of thinking (lack of). What a waste of air.

I just revisited this site and he is getting lambasted by many amputees. Serves him right.

I find that any body part prosthesis that pretends to be a real body part and fools the onlooker is great until such time as the viewer realises it isn't real. When I am the onlooker I feel shocked, it's spooky, almost ghoul like. I feel I've been conned, it's eerie. As an amputee, I save people from this by not wearing any kind of cover, so I'm being honest with the viewer, I'm not trying to fool them in anyway, far from being inconsiderate, my care is for them, not for me, I will never be shocked by finding out my leg isn't real. I just don't want anyone else to go through that spooky, eerie feeling on discovering I've tried to con them into thinking I've got two legs.

See... far from being inconsiderate, I'm doing him a favour!

I agree,OBL. I went as far as to get a black foot shell. I wear the transparent c-leg cover, but that's it. And when weather breaks I usually switch to shorts full time til fall. I think hiding it contributes to the "creepiness" felt by others. Pretty much perpetuates it by giving our hardware a taboo status.

I'm not always the best at it, but i find most folks' responses are based more on what's on your face than what's on your leg. :wink:

Well, I have "both!" My regular walking leg does have a cosmesis...mainly because that's what my leg guys told me they were going to give me when I got the first leg and I didn't know any different then. :smile: My technician at the time was a real artist with cosmesis construction, and I've grown to like it. Unfortunately, he has left the practice (and I'm going to be moving anyway), so I'll have to see what my next leg looks like...a poorly shaped cosmesis can look pretty "creepy" and I'd rather just go naked than look patently "fake."

My water leg is naked and, aside from the fact that it points out just how very, very misaligned my body is, I think it looks just dandy. If I could have a spiffy design on my socket and some sort of way to reconcile the footshell and the pylon (your black footshell sounds like an interesting idea, Shane), I'd be perfectly happy to go uncovered.

I tend to think of a prosthesis as something that you can use as a way to express yourself...not just as a method of mobility. There's some pretty amazing technology out there, and we ought to feel free to make it our own.

I tend to think of a prosthesis as something that you can use as a way to express yourself...not just as a method of mobility. There's some pretty amazing technology out there, and we ought to feel free to make it our own.

How inconsiderate of you! :laugh:

I find that any body part prosthesis that pretends to be a real body part and fools the onlooker is great until such time as the viewer realises it isn't real. When I am the onlooker I feel shocked, it's spooky, almost ghoul like. I feel I've been conned, it's eerie. As an amputee, I save people from this by not wearing any kind of cover, so I'm being honest with the viewer, I'm not trying to fool them in anyway, far from being inconsiderate, my care is for them, not for me, I will never be shocked by finding out my leg isn't real. I just don't want anyone else to go through that spooky, eerie feeling on discovering I've tried to con them into thinking I've got two legs.

Well quite surpised by that comment OBL, but each to their own, suppose it shows how different we all are.

I am quite happy with my two foam coloured NHS prosthesis ... and certainly don't see them as 'spooky' or 'creepy' as someone else mentioned.

Well quite surpised by that comment OBL, but each to their own, suppose it shows how different we all are.

I am quite happy with my two foam coloured NHS prosthesis ... and certainly don't see them as 'spooky' or 'creepy' as someone else mentioned.

Irony Ann.... :rolleyes: no wonder I get misunderstood :wink:

I don't feel the need to "defend" my choice to wear a cosmetic cover. It's definitely a personal choice, and should be accepted and respected as that. Have never had anyone creeped out by my prosthesis when they realize I have one... maybe it's not realistic enough? :unsure:

It really IS up to each of us to decide what we want in the "look" of our prostheses, and I don't think there's any need of "prosthesis police," either ABs or other amps, to declare what is or is not appropriate. If YOU like it, it's right for you.

There is a picture I've seen (it might even be somewhere in the bowels of this Forum) of a customized socket that featured an elaborate sculpted dragon wrapped around the top. I don't know how well it would "walk," but I think it's one of the prettiest things I've ever seen! If I had unlimited prosthesis funds, I'd love to have one myself!

Wouldn't THAT freak out our "inconsiderate author?"

I agree, it's totally a matter of choice. A prosthesis should look like the owner wants it to. My father is bilateral ak/bk and uses cosmesis and never wears shorts. By "hiding" it, i'm refering to going out of the way to try to keep our prosthesis a secret...then they glimpse the truth and...hmmm...how 'bout this:

At my place, we've got assorted animals. Ok, 4 horses, a miniature horse, 2 dogs, a cat, a wild burrough, and a Llama. Much to everyones' surprise, they hardly raise their head when a dirt bike goes screaming by. Why?

Cause they've seen it a million times. :wink: