Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Tracybuz

Itchy rash

I have recently started wearing an Iceross liner (I am an AK) and find that I have developed an itchy rash! Not all over just in a couple of places! I have tried Sudocrem and also an antifungal cream which both seem to help a little but the rash soon comes back again. Its not too bad when I am wearing the liner but at night when I have taken it off the itching drives me crazy. Any further ideas please ?

Thanks

That's fairly typical of a new Ossur liner. They are the liner of my choice, but a rash can develop at the top of the liner. It is caused by the friction created and the tight fit of the liner. It will go away after a week or two, but in the meantime you can rub a little apple cider vinegar on the rash.

I get that on the very top edge of my Iceross liners. Another tip that might help is to put just a touch of A&D ointment,(It's used for diaper rash, and other rashes in the US,) the clear one, not the creamy one, on your thigh, at the top of the liner.. It works for me with the new liners, or, if I have to trim one down because it's too long.....

You may not find it in the UK, but possibly something very similar.

Keeping the top edge of the liner very, VERY clean seems to be what works for me. I always keep my liners clean, but when they are new I clean them more than once a day. I wipe it down with a hypoallergenic, alcohol-free, antibacterial baby wipe...it seems to help with whatever it is in the "new liner" material that makes things itchy.

At night, after I've taken off the leg, I also use hydrocortisone cream on my stump for about the first week with a new liner.

Between the two, it keeps me comfortable until the liner and I have adjusted to each other!