Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Falstaff1485

Suction Socket

I have had my new Echelon foot and it’s great. It has transformed my way of walking. It has led to a problem with my leg, however. This foot sits a little higher than my previous foot, and because I’m a shortarse with quite a long socket, my pylon with its lovely shock absorber was cut to its absolute minimal length. In order to have this shock absorber I have to have a longer pylon and this necessitates a shorter socket.

My wonderful leggist has suggested, and I quote, a “total contact style of socket fitting and combine it with a suction suspension system in view to gain space under the socket to accommodate for the Torque and shock absorber.” I went for the recast this morning. The liner feels lighter and more comfortable than my present gel liner with a pin, but obviously I won’t know what it’s going to be like until the new leg is fitted.

I thought that I would ask my fellow amps if anyone has experience of this, and can make any comments or give any suggestions or advice?

Anything you say is, as always, gratefully appreciated. I’ll keep you posted on progress.

Cheers, thanks and regards

Roger

I have had a total contact suction socket for many years now. I have a container that contains the polypropylene socket. No gel liner, I pull myself straight into the polyprop socket and screw a valve in, press the button to evacuate any air left and that's it. I wear it all day every day and can't imagine anything else now.

The fit is important and that's up to the Prothetist... I have had a couple of different shaped sockets though, one that was shorter and bunched up my excess tissue around the bone gave less control. I prefer the tissue around the bone to be left to hang when being cast so the socket is longer and allows more control. The tissue between the bone and the socket is less then, so I get more feedback and control owing to the longer length.

If you're moving from a pin system though, you will gain a fair bit of space just by not using the pin system.

Good luck, having a new socket is always an unknown...

I can't fit a shock pylon and an Echelon :sad: , you're licky! I'm only 5' 6" and use a turntable below my socket which has the effect of lowering my knee as I have quite a long socket.

I have had my new Echelon foot and it’s great. It has transformed my way of walking. It has led to a problem with my leg, however. This foot sits a little higher than my previous foot, and because I’m a shortarse with quite a long socket, my pylon with its lovely shock absorber was cut to its absolute minimal length. In order to have this shock absorber I have to have a longer pylon and this necessitates a shorter socket.

My wonderful leggist has suggested, and I quote, a “total contact style of socket fitting and combine it with a suction suspension system in view to gain space under the socket to accommodate for the Torque and shock absorber.” I went for the recast this morning. The liner feels lighter and more comfortable than my present gel liner with a pin, but obviously I won’t know what it’s going to be like until the new leg is fitted.

I thought that I would ask my fellow amps if anyone has experience of this, and can make any comments or give any suggestions or advice?

Anything you say is, as always, gratefully appreciated. I’ll keep you posted on progress.

Cheers, thanks and regards

Roger

Just started with my suction type socket, I was in a socket with a belt, wow, glad to get rid of that, so far I like this system, it does not come off by itself at all. It does alow alot more room under the stump for more options, this is the reason I went with it, I will keep you informed of any apdates, in the future.

I just got my suction socket and still getting the adjustments done. but it seems to hit my butt bone.. does everyone elses? its painful and we cant seem to get it to stop and still have my socket up high enough to hold me stable....

Kelly

I just got my suction socket and still getting the adjustments done. but it seems to hit my butt bone.. does everyone elses? its painful and we cant seem to get it to stop and still have my socket up high enough to hold me stable....

Kelly

There's a balance to be struck, but your weight shouldn't all be taken by your 'butt bone', it should be spread around the whole stump to some extent... persevere, it'll be worth it... don't accept compromise

Kelly

There's a balance to be struck, but your weight shouldn't all be taken by your 'butt bone', it should be spread around the whole stump to some extent... persevere, it'll be worth it... don't accept compromise

I agree :biggrin:

Kelly

I agree :biggrin:

Having some problems also with the socket being to high, they have been cutting it lower, but still catches me as I step over on it.

I thought that I'd report back after a week of wearing my new leg. Overall I'm very pleased with it. The suction socket is much snugger than my previous pin socket. It's moulded closer to the bottom of my stump and this allows me to have my shock absorber on the pylon, which combined with my echelon foot is really lovely. During the process my wonderful leggist found why I'm having horrible pains in my right ankle (the amputated one). A nerve ending receives a lot of pressure from my prosthetic leg and this causes the referred pain. I've had it since my amputation; at least it's nice to know the reason. At present I can't find any negative points about the new leg, but I'll let you know.

As always thanks a million for all your comments and support. May the Easter Bunny nibble gently on all your peglegs!

Cheers

Roger

I thought that I'd report back after a week of wearing my new leg. Overall I'm very pleased with it. The suction socket is much snugger than my previous pin socket. It's moulded closer to the bottom of my stump and this allows me to have my shock absorber on the pylon, which combined with my echelon foot is really lovely. During the process my wonderful leggist found why I'm having horrible pains in my right ankle (the amputated one). A nerve ending receives a lot of pressure from my prosthetic leg and this causes the referred pain. I've had it since my amputation; at least it's nice to know the reason. At present I can't find any negative points about the new leg, but I'll let you know.

As always thanks a million for all your comments and support. May the Easter Bunny nibble gently on all your peglegs!

Cheers

Roger

I have been using a AK suction socket since 1980. The socket I use now is a soft/flexible plastic socket fitted into a carbon/graphite frame. It holds suction well and I wear it all day. I never used anything other than a suction socket. It has worked well for me. My first sockets were hard sockets made from the frame material and had no flexibility. They were painful, but the flexible socket I have today is very comfortable. Best of luck with your socket!

Freddy

I've now got the Echelon and given up the torque/shock absorber. The smoothness and way the foot complies with the ground regardless of angle of the terrain underneath me means that of the two devices I'd rather have the Echelon as I 'have to' make the choice because of my limited height and length of socket.

I know that's nothing to do with the suction socket subject but thought it worth mentioning should anyone else have the same dilema.

The interesting thing is, it took me about three full days to come to that conclusion.

I've now got the Echelon and given up the torque/shock absorber. The smoothness and way the foot complies with the ground regardless of angle of the terrain underneath me means that of the two devices I'd rather have the Echelon as I 'have to' make the choice because of my limited height and length of socket.

I know that's nothing to do with the suction socket subject but thought it worth mentioning should anyone else have the same dilema.

The interesting thing is, it took me about three full days to come to that conclusion.

I saw the picture of it and was impressed. However, Otto Bock will not allow the use of non-OB feet. It is all about the money and not the patient.