Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jacqui

In need of some courage!!

5 days til the big progress begins, Jacqui. :smile: In just weeks, you'll be doing things you haven't done in years! :biggrin:

E-mail me as often as you want or need to. I'm right here. :wink:

Wow, I am late to this one! Today is the day!

I know you will not read this for a while as you will be healing and all.

I had my amputation after trying to keep my busted up leg for a year after a motorcycle

accident. I had a lot of pain in my leg and would need many more years of surgery to end up with

a fused ankle and many bone grafts if I kept it.

I am glad I took the plunge and had it done.

Recovery really was not bad as you will find.

I had my surgery 900 miles away and we drove back three days after the surgery.

And I was up on crutches and getting around without a problem. It felt weird to put it down but not bad.

Anywho, I'll be praying for ya! Let us know how things went.

God bless!

Was also wondering if anyone can give me advice about driving, Ive had lots of mixed messages about cars etc. Id like to get back to it as soon as I can. Ive been told I might be fine to drive with a right leg prosthetic but I have to inform the DVLA, they might ask me to go for a driving assesment??? Also, does it affect your insurance??

hi !!! I got a left foot accelerator put in. Its a little pricey. Cheaper than hand controls. The hard part is stopping at red lights, it feels funny using my left leg on break. I am used to it tho. Good luck and hope to see you when you get out. NO it doesnt affect insurance. Not mine... Hopefully someone will hook you up with getting your parking permit so you can park in handicap spots... you can get tag for your plates, or a sign for a friend to take you somewhere in their car. Good luck again:)

hi, i'm the same as mkbiker, i drive a manual van, ( small one, suzuki carry, pedals are nearer to you) have a licence no problem, also i have a yamaha virago 535 motorbike i use an extended brake pedal, which is the only adaptation i have on it. so long as dvla is informed you should have no problem

cheers maggie