Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ribmaster

better foot

hello everyone i have a freedom plia knee with a freedom foot. my prothetist said the foot was the cadilac of feet but is there anything out there that would work better for mre active people thanks in advance

Prosthetic feet are not one size fits all. It is very personal what works best. I will start by saying that I'm BK. I have used two Freedom feet and was well pleased with them. I heard about the Perfect Stride foot so I decided to try it. I like it a lot also. All of these feet are K4 (highly active) rated.

Most manufacturers offer a 30-60 day return policy on their prosthetic parts. I simply tell my legman that I want to try something and he orders it for me to do just that. If I don't like, he replaces it with something else. It is a bit of a pain, but worth it if you consider using a poor foot for years. It is important that you be honest with your legman considering your activity level. The high activity feet are stiffer for more energy return. They can be harder to use as a daily walker because of this. Many K2 users think that a K4 foot will be better because of its higher rating. Not so!!!!

These are just things to consider when examining feet. It's good to do your homework as you are. Search the internet for more options. I will make no recommendations as I really don't know what works best for AK amputees.

well thanks for the input i appreciate it .. maybe someyone will chime in that is an ak with some more info. you being an bk is like being on another planet as far as the way a foot will work for you then as it will for me

"I'll be your huckleberry." :biggrin:

I haven't had alot of feet, but here they are-served up with bbq sauce.

Flexfoot VSP- Tough as nails. Has vertical suspension and rotation. Carbon leaf-style spring on side is a little goofy looking with a sock over it, but works really well. This foot is a Flexfoot with the vertical suspension pylon(VSP) ridin' piggy back. Uses bushings in both the pylon and the spring. I found the spring bushings get loose quicker than i'd like, but it's an easy replacement and off you go. Changing out the leaf spring is easy, should a person want to change up the vertical "give."A little heavy. Nice energy return. But the torsion, i say, is pretty much regulated by "slack" in the spring. Still, it works fine. They got it right with the Ceterus.

Ceterus- Another flexfoot, very similar to the VSP, but without the leaf spring design. All the spring action is internal and the torsion (twist) is controlled with a nice resistance. They market the Ceterus with a little air pump that you can use to stiffen the vertical give in the foot for "higher activity". But added air will find it's way out rather quickly. Ossur says this is by design. I say they are full of it and couldn't make it seal up, then put it out anyway. Doesn't matter, though. Once the foot is set up for you and your weight, most folks never touch the pump. It's a little lighter than the VSP and for daily use, a better foot. But don't discard the VSP because i picked it apart. It's a fine foot for high activity, especilly when new and fresh. To me, ease of repair means alot. And the VSP has that.

I checked out a Pathfinder once. Nice foot, walked like the 2 above, but heavy as a tank.

Now i'm in a C-leg and use their action foot. It's low profile, which i assumed meant that i'd be giving something up. But the foot walks nicely and the torsion is there. If i had to give a less than great mark, it would be energy return. It's fine, but not like the 2 gladiators above.

well thanks for the input i appreciate it .. maybe someyone will chime in that is an ak with some more info. you being an bk is like being on another planet as far as the way a foot will work for you then as it will for me

I'm an AK and I would say as far as feet are concerned, what a BK says is very much related to what an AK will feel, we both use feet, there's not reason to suggest we are that disimilar in terms of feet. The only difference may be that BKs may be more active mostly, but not in all cases.

I only have experience of some Endolite feet, the website pretty much describes them and their activity level suitability. I currently wear an Eprius and like it.

Hi, Ribmaster

I'd like to know more what your definition of "active" is (ie., for some it's running, and high impact sports and others it's being a busy person on your feet and moving all day). If you have the Freedom Renegade foot, it is definitely a high activity, high impact type of foot. For me, it is way too much energy for my day to day life, although I wouldn't mind having one for sports only. Would be nice to have that option! :smile: The Freedom Runway is a great all around smooth walking and active daily life foot, but I wouldn't run on it.

Generally, most AKs I know tend to go with feet with a softer heel as a good all around choice. But if you are a big guy and put a lot of weight/energy into your steps, a higher activity foot might be better for you. Hopefully your prosthetist will let you try a few. Most manufacturers let you trial them for a month or so. Good luck!! Hope I haven't confused you! :tongue:

Karen

Hi, Ribmaster

I'd like to know more what your definition of "active" is (ie., for some it's running, and high impact sports and others it's being a busy person on your feet and moving all day). If you have the Freedom Renegade foot, it is definitely a high activity, high impact type of foot. For me, it is way too much energy for my day to day life, although I wouldn't mind having one for sports only. Would be nice to have that option! :smile: The Freedom Runway is a great all around smooth walking and active daily life foot, but I wouldn't run on it.

Generally, most AKs I know tend to go with feet with a softer heel as a good all around choice. But if you are a big guy and put a lot of weight/energy into your steps, a higher activity foot might be better for you. Hopefully your prosthetist will let you try a few. Most manufacturers let you trial them for a month or so. Good luck!! Hope I haven't confused you! :tongue:

Karen

its a freedom renegade

I'm an AK and I would say as far as feet are concerned, what a BK says is very much related to what an AK will feel, we both use feet, there's not reason to suggest we are that disimilar in terms of feet. The only difference may be that BKs may be more active mostly, but not in all cases.

I only have experience of some Endolite feet, the website pretty much describes them and their activity level suitability. I currently wear an Eprius and like it.

thats your opinion but i think your dead wrong. having a knee makes up alot of ground vs not having a knee ive got a bk friend and its a world of diff between the way he walks and what he uses vs what i would use a person with there knee can withstand more in most cases vs an ak walking is diff everthing is. not saying they dont use the same feet but i would like opiniouns from aks although i appreciate his thougths too

thats your opinion but i think your dead wrong. having a knee makes up alot of ground vs not having a knee ive got a bk friend and its a world of diff between the way he walks and what he uses vs what i would use a person with there knee can withstand more in most cases vs an ak walking is diff everthing is. not saying they dont use the same feet but i would like opiniouns from aks although i appreciate his thougths too

In my job I meet AKs and BKs, and I'm an AK amputee myself, so my opinion isn't completely worthless (some may say, most not :biggrin: ). I realise the kind of loads a BK puts through the limb are different. What I was trying to convey was that when it comes to feet, broadly speaking the kind of reaction you get to questions about performance and feeling from a BK are similar to that of an AK all else being equal.

I understand completely you want to know about the experience of AK amputees because you are one, but I'd suggest it's more important to concentrate on listening to amputees who have the same activity level as you, not focusing so much on the level of amputation they have.

An active amputee, regardless of whether they are AK or BK will have more meaningful comments to make of a particular foot than a mismatched, less active amputee who is coincidentally an AK.

lets see my activity level includes raqutball fishing riding atvs doing stuff aorund the house. carrying heavy stuff alot around the house too everthing i do is more active than the normal joe for the most part

lets see my activity level includes raqutball fishing riding atvs doing stuff around the house. carrying heavy stuff alot around the house too everthing i do is more active than the normal joe for the most part and i never said your opinion was worthless just disaggreing with you..there a diff :biggrin:

Hi, Ribmaster,

I have the elite 2 made by endolight, cant say how it compares with all the other k4 feet but it enables me to work, ride, sort of run / jog, carry heavy loads just like all the other feet do, the only difference that I have had done is for my hiking foot, I got my leg guy to retro fit a heaver duty spring at the heel for all the jumping across ditches act.

When I put it on it does feel incredibility hard with no give in it, but once I have my boots on and am bounding along rough ground it comes into its own.

Maybe worth a look at Elite 2

………………………Mick

Hi, Ribmaster,

I have the elite 2 made by endolight, cant say how it compares with all the other k4 feet but it enables me to work, ride, sort of run / jog, carry heavy loads just like all the other feet do, the only difference that I have had done is for my hiking foot, I got my leg guy to retro fit a heaver duty spring at the heel for all the jumping across ditches act.

When I put it on it does feel incredibility hard with no give in it, but once I have my boots on and am bounding along rough ground it comes into its own.

Maybe worth a look at Elite 2

………………………Mick

Mick is an AK by the way ;o)