Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Trailmaster Toby

Hitting the wall, finally!

Hey there everyone!

Just wanted to share my recent day last week.

After being an amp for 1.8 years, I have finally hit the climbing gym again. Boy, was it alot of fun! :biggrin: Of course I didn't like that my grip was a little weak, but working on that and will be climbing a whole bunch more now.

The XT-9 was great to setup in, but a little hard in finding the right hold to place on since the knee stays extended until loaded.

I encourage anyone to try climbing, it's a great workout and very rewarding physically and emotionally.

post-2479-1267692077_thumb.jpg

post-2479-1267692070_thumb.jpg

post-2479-1267692061_thumb.jpg

post-2479-1267692049_thumb.jpg

post-2479-1267692037_thumb.jpg

That's great Erik. It just takes some time to get back in the swing. Anesthesia takes it's toll as well as the energy to learn how to use a prosthetic leg.

Sweet!! :biggrin::biggrin:

Hi Erik

Thanks for sharing that looks pretty amazing, just a couple of questions if you don’t mind, did you actually use the leg to push, or was it a case of just using it to support yourself whilst it was locked straight, whilst you picked your next hand hold, sorry that hasn’t come out to well, what I mean is can you use the leg to “push up” whilst it loaded.?

And do you think that this leg could be use when playing with traction (power) kites either on a board or even on water.

Any way well done on the climbing and I agree with you about it being physical I went to bed totally knackered after my last attempt. And when I got up the following morning I ached all over it took nearly two days to get back to normal…………………Take care & have fun …….Mick

Hey there Mick!

The XT-9 is made to push you back up. The spring loads as you put weight on it and then releases the energy to help you pop up.

I think it would be perfect for kitesurfing. I want to do a snowboard trip with it but the snow is going fast and I can't seem to get a big enough break from work. I guess it's better to have lots of work than not really in this economy.

You should check out the website for a little inspiration. www.xt-9.com

Take care!

I've always thought the XT-9 was a cool design. I'd like to meet someone who's ridden motocross in one to see how it works for mx. A friend of mine, Mike Shultz, made his own version using a Fox gas charged MTB shock. He won silver at X Games and gold at Winter X using it. I've been jacking around with my own design for a year or so now. I guess if it works out, i'll have to give up my gimmick. (pretty sure i'm the only one that rides competitively without a prosthesis, so far.) If i could actually stand up and charge- Oh Boy! I'd be out to hurt some feelings!

One of the biggest issues for me is a foot design that won't fall off the peg, but will break away when i go down. (several times in a 2-2.5 hour race.) This is the biggest hold up for me. The riders that use a prosthesis seem to be stuck on using a prosthetic foot.(MX riders, my forte is X country) I'm going the "peg" leg route with my project.

Can you set a "sweet spot" with xt-9? Meaning a specific knee angle were the knee's resistance increases abruptly but doesn't keep pushing up further from that position? Picture standing in a slightly squatted position with the prosthetic knee carrying weight.

Now i've confused myself. I hope everyone else can understand? :unsure:

Hi Erik,

Thanks for the link, pleased the leg is working for you, yes it looks like it would be great for kite surfing it would take a lot of strain off my good leg which at the moment does all the work, my arty leg is just used to help keep me balanced nothing more, I have often thought about not having a leg on, but once i come off I would never have the balance in one leg to get the kite up and stable again.

It’s a pity that the leg couldn’t be used as an every day leg as well that would be perfect, still give it a couple of years they might come up with something.

Shane I know exactly what you mean, it’s a pity that we couldn’t get together in a fully equipped workshop and put a few ideas together, :glare: get the tools out and see what we could knock up, then go out and test them (we would most likely kill ourselves in the testing stage ) :laugh::laugh:

Still seeing you on your bike I don’t suppose that would concern you :laugh:

Take care all ……………………..Mick