Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ren

Ice Hockey

Hi All,

My name is Ren, i'm 62, have been a below knee Amp for 45 years. I've played golf at St Andrews, walked the course and carried my own bag. I owned and trained two Quarter Horses and showed them at variuos western events in Australia.

For 8 years i have played inline Hockey(on rollerblades) to 'b' grade level. The past 3 months i have converted to ice hockey because i have been invited to play on a world team in the Standing Ice Hockey World Championships to be held in Montreal Canada at the end of April 2010.

In Australia there are only 2 of us who can play ice hockey and we have tried for 4 years to get other Amputees, especially young guy's and girls to try it.

Unfortunately its the hardest dicipline to overcome thats why there are no ice events at the winter paralympics except for sledge hockey(wheel chair stuff) and wheel chair curling.

It took me 2 days, on an old wooden leg, to learn how to ski all the blue runs on the mountain with normal skis and stocks, no gimics or gadgets. TOO EASY no challenge, thats why i took up the hockey. Unfortunately the only competitors i had were able bodied but when they trained i did it double time.

I contacted the international paralympic committee to ask about speed skating but not enough countries can field skaters and now the "International Standing Ice Hockey Federation"- ISIHF- want standing ice hockey introduced at the 2014 winter paralympics but we need more countries to get involved or more young Amputees to at least give it a try. In 2014 i'll be 66 and if Australia manage to get a team together i'll be on it kicking some sorry arses.

If anyone out there wants to give it a go pad up because like me your gonna fall a lot and it will hurt but if you've got as much guts and determination as i have you'll overcome it. Standing ice hockey is not easy like skiing or running or bike riding or riding a horse and thats why so few of us can do it.

Come and join the elite few around the world and get together an English ice hockey team and we'll keep trying to get an Australian team up and we'll see you in 2014.

If a 62 year old man can do it, all you young amputees, especially the ones who think they're athletic, should set yourselves a real challenge and jump on the ice.

Take it easy Guy's, and my motto is - SPEEDS YOUR FRIEND.

REN.

This sounds fun Ren, is there any video footage of you guys playing? it'd be helpful to see it and encourage more people to think about having a go.

This sounds fun Ren, is there any video footage of you guys playing? it'd be helpful to see it and encourage more people to think about having a go.

Hi Mate, do i call you oneblueleg?

No video's i'm afraid, that i know of. ISIHF have a web site but its very junior at the moment and hopefully after the world championships they will put some pictures and video's up.

The Canadian team is made up of mainly arm Amputees and those players that didn't get selected for thier main team have jumped onto the world team, thats why we have some Russians, Czechs and Canadians with us.

The Amputee Ice Hockey is non contact so its not as full on as what you see in NHL plus each player has to have a number on his or her helmet to signify the degree of amputation. The most accumalitive numbers on players helmets any team can have on the ice at one time is 15. For eg:- An Arm Amputee is 3 points - below knee, like me is 2 points - above knee is 1 point so in effect a team could have more players on the rink than another team. The Canadians as i said are nearly all arm amps so the most players, besides a goalie, they can have is the usual 5 (each player with 3 on the helmet = 15). Another team could have 2 arm amps, 3 below knee, and 3 above knee = 15 points but 8 players. Obviously players with 2 good legs will be quicker and be able to turn and stop better than a leg amp so this evens things a little. Having said that, the Canadians win just about all their games but i've heard they have 300 amputees to chose from so to get on their team you have to try out for selection.

The beauty of being English or Australian is there aren't enough amputees who can skate so selection isn't an issue and it doesn't matter if your male, female, old(like me) or just learning everything about ice hockey, jump on the ice and your in the team.

Hope i've given some incite into the sport but this sport will take amputee abilities to another level.

REN.

Im sure standing hockey is plenty of fun, as I am a sledge hockey player I can appreciate the feel of the rink and the rush of the game. There are hundreds of amputees in sled hockey(as its referred to in the states). I have personally check into standing amputee hockey and the fact that its not contact is what keeps me from it. I know the same is true for many of the other amps playing sled hockey. I am a little concerned by one of your comments,

"Unfortunately its the hardest dicipline to overcome thats why there are no ice events at the winter paralympics except for sledge hockey(wheel chair stuff) and wheel chair curling"

I have no doubt standing up and skating on a prosthetsis is a huge challenge, however there are plenty of athletes in the paralympics who have never used a wheelchair and probably never will.

I am sure you meant no harm by your statement and I am sure by me voicing my opionion you wont agree with me either, but it might go better for recruitting those young athletes if one didnt take shots at one of the sports/venues many of us aspire to participate in.

Im sure standing hockey is plenty of fun, as I am a sledge hockey player I can appreciate the feel of the rink and the rush of the game. There are hundreds of amputees in sled hockey(as its referred to in the states). I have personally check into standing amputee hockey and the fact that its not contact is what keeps me from it. I know the same is true for many of the other amps playing sled hockey. I am a little concerned by one of your comments,

"Unfortunately its the hardest dicipline to overcome thats why there are no ice events at the winter paralympics except for sledge hockey(wheel chair stuff) and wheel chair curling"

I have no doubt standing up and skating on a prosthetsis is a huge challenge, however there are plenty of athletes in the paralympics who have never used a wheelchair and probably never will.

I am sure you meant no harm by your statement and I am sure by me voicing my opionion you wont agree with me either, but it might go better for recruitting those young athletes if one didnt take shots at one of the sports/venues many of us aspire to participate in.

Sorry Madleggs, but i think you've miss-understood the comment i was making. I have nothing against sled hockey and it was offered to me many years ago but i refuse to play a sport strapped to a sled when i can do it standing up (my preference), and most of the standing ice hockey players come from sled hockey.

What you have to understand is, i wanted to speed skate against other amputees and the Australian paralympic committee said i was the only person they knew that could do it, which i didn't believe, so i contacted the International Paralympic committee and they said there are not enough countries in the world that can put foreward competitors to hold skating events. That means there are others who can skate but there are a lot more who can ski, play sled hockey, or run or ride bikes, therefore it stands to reason that skating is a harder dicipline to conquer. My comments are based on fact because i've tried all the other diciplines, 5 min to learn how to run, 2 days to ski all intermediate runs, 10 min to ride a bike, 2 years of pain to be a reasonable inline hockey player, and now 3 months on the ice and still trying to adjust and learn after spending at least 8 hours a week skating.

There's over 300000 amputees in Australia and only 2 can play ice hockey in the standing position. There is probably more Amputees in the U.K. and i've posted stuff on a few websites to find others who can do it or have tried to no avail. In Australia we've tried for 4 years and offered to supply gear to no avail. Don't you think its safe to say that skating is the hardest dicipline for an amputee to overcome if very few have been able to conquer it?

The point i wanted to make was for athletes to set themselves a higher challenge and try it.

I know an paralympic runner who was rated number 4 in the world at one stage but cant skate to save his life and said it was too hard when i asked him to come and play hockey.

Good luck with your sled hockey but i'll hang out for standing hockey being introduced at the 2014 winter paralympics and maybe i'll see you there.

REN.

Hi Guy's,

The crazy Aussie here again. My first post was a little over the top now i've read it again, but the famous rivalry between the Pomms and Aussies was the motive behind it really.

We've allways done the sledging between us over the cricket, rugby, and any other sport but its allways been a healthy bit of fun so i figured i'd stir you guy's up a little and maybe get some of you motivated into playing a sport i love.

By the way, i love the contact and full on body checks but i dont make the rules and there are some people who wouldn't play if there was full contact. Us Aussies do the pommy bashing with words(only joking, lighten up).

My main disapointment is i know ice hockey is played in England and i'll be playing on a World team in Montreal. Our team Roster is made up of 6 Canadians, 6 Russians, 5 Czechs, 1 Italian, 1 Israely, 1 Finland and 2 Aussies. No one representing England, which used to be my homeland(i lived in Stockwell).

Anyway, forget the first post which was mainly me stiring you guy's up and try and get a team going, you have fun.

REN.

Oh, I'm glad that peace seems to be breaking out here! :smile: I'm just an old gal from the US, and I wasn't sure who was doing what to whom, here! I just hoped that it was meant to be in good fun....

Seriously, guys, WHATEVER we decide to do to keep ourselves active is just dandy! I happen to think all our amputee athletes are quite splendid!

I hear you Cheryl,

Overcoming the loss of a limb is hard enough, but combating any sport is inspirational to any Amputee, and yes the rivalry between England and Australia has been an on going thing for the last 100 years.

They are called Pommy's by us and they call us diggers and probably other names too but all in all its friendly rivalry.

REN.