Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Gingertop

Lubricating a suction liner

I used to use vaseline ( petroleum jelly) to lubricate the suction ring on my Iceross liner.

My prosthetist gave me Ottoblock pro comfort gel (probably just glycerinre ?) and a spray of Iceross lubricant.

Both of these seem better lubricants and less 'sticky' than vaseline. They really help you get right down into the socket straight away whereas in the past it took a an hour or so in the morning before I felt comfortable.

My prosthetist is a bit cagey giving these out and I suspect they cost the NHS a fortune.

Is there a good cheap alternative which won't damage the liner.

I have recently started using a liner and got given a spray bottle of the lubricant which works really well. I was told that when it runs out to fill with water and this would be just as good !! Still using the bottle as it seems to last for ages, so as yet dont know if water will do the job. Would be interested to hear what other people have to say.

You really shouldn't use Vaseline as it doesn't evaporate which means that it could help your socket slide off just has it helped it slide on.

Personally I would say that whichever NHS centre prescribed you the liner should have budgeted to supply you with the correct spray. A replacement liner costs £450 (last year) and, given that petroleum jelly can cause some rubber/latex compounds to rot asking you to use them is only going to reduce the life of the liner. Your limb centre has a DUTY OF CARE to supply you not just with a suitable prosthesis but also a suitable method of donning and doffing it.

The spray isn't cheap, if memory serves it costs around £50 a bottle but one bottle lasts a lot longer for me than donning sleeves which cost a lot more. So cost shouldn't be a problem when compared to other forms of socket suspension.

Having said all of that, if you still can't get the limb centre to supply you with the correct products you could try asking your GP to prescribe it, meaning you'd only have to pay £7.20. This might be a little difficult to set-up as I doubt your GP has the correct lube on their system but once it is set-up you should have no problem (I don't know that this is possible, the lube would have to be on your PCT's prescription tariff).

The other option is to use an isopropyl alcohol spray as this is essentially what the Iceross spray is, surgical spirits mixed with water in a spray bottle.

I have recently started using a liner and got given a spray bottle of the lubricant which works really well. I was told that when it runs out to fill with water and this would be just as good !! Still using the bottle as it seems to last for ages, so as yet dont know if water will do the job. Would be interested to hear what other people have to say.

NO, water won't do the job (in my experience) I have this type of suspension on my swimming leg and if I take the leg off I have to lube it up before I can get it back on. I've tried just forcing it on while it's wet but it just doesn't work any where near as well.

Hi,

Gave up on the sprays when the last bottle run out .tried the limb centre and managed to beg half a bottle which I feel I only got as a personal favour off my leg guy , so I decided to try experiment with some other stuff. Some worked some didn’t.

The best that I have come up with so far is to spray the inside of the socket with a …………..P.T.F.E. Spray ……….. (Its makes your frying pans non stick) and let it dry, it has worked very well for me for the last year or so, ever 3 months or so I have to respray when you can feel it getting harder and takes longer to get fullying in the socket. It takes seconds.

Because it is an inert substance it does not affect the liner in any way likewise it doesn’t affect the socket.

All it does is put a very fine non stick film between your liner & socket to aid donning. Hope this helps…………………………Mick

Ps. contacted the manufacture for there data sheets just to make sure it was ok & wouldn’t damage my liner or socket.

I use a mixture of Alcohol and water (50/50) in a spray bottle. Spray the inside of the socket and slip right in. I've used this for two years. It's what I was told when I first got the new seal-in liners.

I've been in the Iceross liners for @ 4 years. i've use lotion, water, water/alcohol, hand sanitizer, ptfe(teflon), and silicone. I really like the last 2 because they are really slick and dry quickly. My last liner came with a nice, little, new, empty, spray bottle. But, now, i use nothing and prefer it. Though i have to be sure not to wait too long to don in the mornings.

side note- anything that is wet will trap and hold dust/lint/etc. This can CAUSE your valve to leak ever so slightly and be a booger to track down the problem.

From my own recent experience, if you wear a seal in liner(esp. AKs) and have a problem with it leaking down- check the valve. Better yet, temporarily relace it with a rubber one(how i discovered the problem) or just tape it off. Why? Well, we've checked my sockets many times and (incorrectly) decided the valves (even new) weren't the problem. Well, turns out the valve was the problem. It only leaks at high suction and, then, VERY slowly. The valve i used, and still do, is the common, white, screw in type with a push button for air release.

My personal fix? Well, it causes a little extra effort in the morning donning. But, i took one of the valves and injected super glue into the little air hole. (let it dry completely!!!) Now it can't leak. I don with one of the untouched valves and then replace it with the glued valve. Like alot of you, AKs especially, I've had that little annoying leak down problem from the beginning. I now have the e-pulse setup and the extra pull of the pump made the valve leak even more. But now, after the glue treatment, it doesn't exist. :smile:

Been using ALPS Lubricant, work well, and just reordered it a few minutes ago. Have been told 50/50 water alcohol mix, but never tried it yet.

I was told, and use, the same thing Neal mentioned, 50/50 alcohol and water. Fill up a spray bottle that has a fine (mist) spray setting and mist away. Seal-in liners come with a pen type mister for portable use.

Bill

Something new is happening, Im loosing suction as the lube dries out, I take the leg off and spray it again and am good to go for a few more hours. Any Ideas, to stop this?

I've been in the Iceross liners for @ 4 years. i've use lotion, water, water/alcohol, hand sanitizer, ptfe(teflon), and silicone. I really like the last 2 because they are really slick and dry quickly. My last liner came with a nice, little, new, empty, spray bottle. But, now, i use nothing and prefer it. Though i have to be sure not to wait too long to don in the mornings.

side note- anything that is wet will trap and hold dust/lint/etc. This can CAUSE your valve to leak ever so slightly and be a booger to track down the problem.

From my own recent experience, if you wear a seal in liner(esp. AKs) and have a problem with it leaking down- check the valve. Better yet, temporarily relace it with a rubber one(how i discovered the problem) or just tape it off. Why? Well, we've checked my sockets many times and (incorrectly) decided the valves (even new) weren't the problem. Well, turns out the valve was the problem. It only leaks at high suction and, then, VERY slowly. The valve i used, and still do, is the common, white, screw in type with a push button for air release.

My personal fix? Well, it causes a little extra effort in the morning donning. But, i took one of the valves and injected super glue into the little air hole. (let it dry completely!!!) Now it can't leak. I don with one of the untouched valves and then replace it with the glued valve. Like alot of you, AKs especially, I've had that little annoying leak down problem from the beginning. I now have the e-pulse setup and the extra pull of the pump made the valve leak even more. But now, after the glue treatment, it doesn't exist. :smile:

Nice one Shane! :biggrin:

I use a mixture of Alcohol and water (50/50) in a spray bottle. Spray the inside of the socket and slip right in. I've used this for two years. It's what I was told when I first got the new seal-in liners.

Whisky, Gin, or will lager do?

Depends on your taste, really. Maybe a little Gentleman Jack in the winter, but the smell of Malibu is nice during the hot months! :laugh:

Depends on your taste, really. Maybe a little Gentleman Jack in the winter, but the smell of Malibu is nice during the hot months! :laugh:

Grey Goose is the way, keeps the spray bottle from gumming up!!!!!

50/50 alchol and water--I actually tend to put more alcohol in the spray bottle though because it dries-if there is too much water it won't dry completely and you get a puddle at the bottom of the socket :)

50/50 alchol and water--I actually tend to put more alcohol in the spray bottle though because it dries-if there is too much water it won't dry completely and you get a puddle at the bottom of the socket :)

The bottle i get states 70% so I just put that right in the spray bottle.

this is weird..i get the Iceross spray for 60 NIS a bottle at my leg guy, which is about 10 UK pound. The first time Israel got something cheaper and it's alcohol mixed with water...

[

The spray isn't cheap, if memory serves it costs around £50 a bottle but one bottle lasts a lot longer for me than donning sleeves which cost a lot more. So cost shouldn't be a problem when compared to other forms of socket suspension.

The two products I am talking about seem to be

1 a spray of alhohol and water

2 a Glycerin based 'lotion'

If the NHS is paying a lot for these then I think I'm going to start making them up and selling them!

Lets try and find out what they cost.

One can of ptfe or silicone spray from the auto parts store is cheap,lasts a long time, and lubes better than the others- from my experience. If something is labeled for prosthetic use, rest assured it's gonna be outrageously priced for what you're actually getting.

Anything that will evaporate away, alcohol wipes work well as do the hand sanitising alcohol gels!

Tried to go with out anything lubrication, and started to get pain in the end of the stump, don't know if its related or not. But it was the only change, went back to Alps Lub. to see if it improved or not. Keep you all informed.