Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
cherylm

Make Your Own Amputee Accomplishment!

Hi, Gang -

Our very own Mick has been working on developing walking/hiking routes appropriate for amputees, particularly those residing in northeast England, who are looking to "get out there" into nature. In a couple of days, he'll be starting to post info here on routes he's found, walks he's taken, and some "hints" for those who are interested in learning to do likewise. He's also gotten permission from our Forum "powers that be" to post a link to a walker's forum where he has some interesting stuff posted.

A disclaimer: The link to the walking forum is not in any way related to the Heather Mills Forum, and folks visiting the site are doing so on their own. The Heather Mills Forum neither endorses nor dismisses the information posted on the walking forum and requests that visitors to the walking forum use their own common sense.

That said, my personal opinion is that there is some interesting "stuff" there, along with some lovely pictures and good advice for prospective walkers. If I lived in northeast England, I would definitely be among those checking out the link and getting in touch with Mick for some "tips and tricks!"

Stay tuned for further updates..........................

Thanks Cheryl,

That’s some intro; it’s even made me blush. :blush:

Right

What this section is going to be about is walking/hiking, please feel free to post about your own walks and what you do and how you do it

This isn’t my thread it belongs to you all.

What I am after is to try to set up a small amputee walking group here in Northumberland.

I have done a lot of work in preparation for this but have been let down very badly and so I going to have a go on my own.

I know that not everyone is interested but if one person turns up and have a good day it’s been worth it.

I will be posting links to another forum and would like to draw your attention to what Cheryl has already stated about the disclaimer bit.

Like wise if any one wants a map of the route for a particular walk I have done please pm me (on the walking site) and I would be happy to e- mail it to you.

There isn’t much on there at the moment but I have huge amounts of stuff that will go on there is just that computer skills .isn’t my best subject: - so look at it as a work in progress.

Now just to get the ball rolling an:-

An Armchair look around my National park in Northumberland.

Don’t think about the photos look at the views and the scenery it is all very accessible

I might not take you there by the shortest route but I will get you there if you want to.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14894907@N07/show/

thanks and enjoy ……………….Mick

The hay Meadows at Muker (Swaledale)

I was going to write about how nervous I was going away hiking down to a new area. but I cant, yes it was my first hiking trip away from my area that I knew so well, yes I didn’t know what to expect, but what a delight this area is, coming to the end of this walk left me with a feeling that may be I shouldn’t have been so timid and should have had a bit more confidence in myself and gone higher and further. Like the hills in Northumberland these valleys and hills are calling out to be walked & explored, I have returned to this area several times and each time I have had a wonderful walking experience.

I often wonder if I hadn’t lost my leg would I feel so passionate about the joy walking in some distant valley or on some lonesome hill top I guess that is something I will never know.

23sgf8l.jpg

3539pow.jpg

For full walk link

http://northumbria-walkingforum.co.uk/foru...?f=11&t=195

enjoy ..........................Mick

Hi Mick,

Great pics.

Had a holiday cottage in Swaledale a few years back, it was lovely.

I had my leg then, don't think I could manage it now but I'll hold on to the dream.

I long to get out in the countryside but not possible until I can walk!

Hi Mick,

Great pics.

Had a holiday cottage in Swaledale a few years back, it was lovely.

I had my leg then, don't think I could manage it now but I'll hold on to the dream.

I long to get out in the countryside but not possible until I can walk!

Thanks Lynne

I have to agree with you Swaledale is a lovely part of the country.

I am sorry to hear that you still haven’t got sorted with a leg yet just had a thought have you heard about the new all weather track that runs around kielder water ?it might be a way to get out into the country side .

I haven’t been up there to see it yet but was speaking to a friend it is supposed to be very wheelchair friendly , and one of the meeting I was at , it was proposed that there is going to be boat trips to various drop off points around the lake and various pick up points and times , the idea is you get the boat get dropped off somewhere on the other side have walk / ride along to the next pick up point or as far as you want then get the boat back , its supposed to make it more accessible .

I brought up why not get a land train going round with pick up points as well (like the Eden project ) sort of like a bus service , that went down very well , however I have found out what they agree on at meetings and what actually does get done are two different things .

Might be worth a phone call to see if anything has been set up yet.

And don’t forget the cream teas at Kielder castle.

Copper snout

wkh4ee.jpg

Despite all the shortage of breath & aching all over for the next few days going up and down those steep hills really did teach me something about this limbless business (apart from pay more attention to the map in future), it gave me a hell of a boost with my self confidence, after all if I can walk down and up them without too much difficulty, it meant that I could do steeper and harder walks with confidence,

Maybe its something that we should do every now and then just push our comfort zone out a little bit, you may surprise yourselves where you end up.

2qmgozo.jpg

Full walk................... enjoy

http://northumbria-walkingforum.co.uk/foru...?f=11&t=198

As per normal I wouldn’t take a new amputee on this route but there sections that are a joy to walk on and give excellent views , so if you live in the northeast and fancy a trip up here give me a .p.m…………………Mick

The scenery is breathtaking, Mick. Thanks for sharing it.

ASHGILL FORCE AND NEARLY THORTERGILL FORCE

30w819k.jpg

255nhhx.jpg

taken from the walk :

Heading towards the farm at Loaning head, this is the last photo simply because the knee totally failed at this point, despite winding the extension and flexion up and down and trying different setting I just couldn’t get the leg to straighten out,

This knee has the ability to go “free” or lock but unfortunately nothing worked. So the hiking poles came out for a bit of support and the camera went into the rucksack for safe keeping, this walk was over.

It was fortunate that we where only a mile or so away from the car and I found that by forcing the leg straight then swinging it round in a half circle I was able to sort of weight bear on it while I took a step with my good leg.

It took the best part of two hours to get to the car and I was very happy to be there, naturally it was raining but the worst thing that I found was whilst hobbling through the village every man and his dog came out, normally I would stop and chat and have no problems talking about the fact I have lost a limb, but I actually felt embarrassed that I was reduced to using two poles and hobbling along obviously struggling. (Not a way I like to portrait myself) pride it’s a funny thing at times.

for the full walk please go to :-

http://northumbria-walkingforum.co.uk/foru...?f=31&t=203

enjoy & thanks ............................Mick

Hey Mick,

hope you managed to get the leg repaired and it won't stop you getting out and about over the Easter bank holiday.

Thanks Lynne,

Just got back from limb centre, leg fixed, feels rather strange walking “normal” again (gives my back a chance to get back to normal) other leg should be ready early next week.

Unfortunately I am at work this Easter weekend (night shift) so wont be going anywhere, however it should give me a bit of time to get some more walks posted on the web site. (It takes me longer to post them that what it does to walk them. :laugh:

………..Take care ………………Mick

Hareshaw Linn

fxz893.jpg

Taken from the walk

However in the wet months (speaking as an amputee) the path is very muddy and slippery and throw in a covering of dead leaves it is like walking on ice, plus the path has sections of rounded stones to walk on which tend to twist the foot right as you are about to weight bear, I will post some photos so you know what I am on about. However the lack of foliage does open up the views of the river and there tends to be more water coming down in the wetter months. So my friends the choice is yours.

2q9bg1y.jpg

Full walk link:

http://northumbria-walkingforum.co.uk/foru...?f=31&t=205

Enjoy & thanks ……..mick

Hi Mick,

Would it be possible for you to give the distance and or time it takes for each of your walks?

Both on this site and the linked site.

It would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Hi Lynne,

I can’t put down how long it takes simply because it all depends on who is walking with me, and what the weather is like, for example if it’s a nice sunny dry day we will have lots of stops and sit downs (have been known to sunbath on some occasions) :blush: so it wont be a true time but if its wet/cold we tend to push on a bit harder.

And I don’t want to get into the situation when it’s a race to get finished, so all my walks WILL take all day (it’s a fun day out) it doesn’t matter if its 3 miles or 15, if we finish too early there is normally a tea shop /pub to visit or somewhere to stop and have a look around on the way back. I treat it as a nice relaxing day out, not clock watching sorry.

However point taken about the distance I will start putting down the distance, but as I have stated on the other web site I have printable route maps for all the walks that are there for the asking the only reason I don’t show a map of the route is because I am not sure about copyright ECT. And I don’t want to upset the site owner (who is a smashing). All my walks are recorded by gps and downloaded onto my pc using memory map. So they are there for the asking.

And one other thing I haven’t put the distance/time down because I don’t want it to look like I am boasting like” look at me I did 10 miles in 6 hours ECT,”

I just want to….perhaps ….give a bit of encouragement to any new amputee that think getting out into the hills is a thing of the past, if they can see me... overweight, old, past my best, bits missing , out there it might give them a bit of hope or something to aim at ,

I feel uncomftable drawing attention to myself on this site as it is……………but if anything is going to be set up in the north east area it’s the only way I can think of doing it . hope that you understand, take care ………………Mick

Gunnerside Gill

This is another walk that we did in the Swaledale area and I have to say as much as I love the Northumberland Hills I would recommend this walk to any one.

riygbq.jpg

taken from the walk

Still climbing up, yes the weather is doing its best to ruin this walk but it stands no chance

Not even Yvonne is complaining; the views are getting better by the minute.

qpnk08.jpg

full walk please go to link:

http://northumbria-walkingforum.co.uk/foru...?f=11&t=206

enjoy .......................Mick

ps Just over 5 1/2 miles

Gordale Scar

taken from the walk

It was my better half that had suggested that we go away for a long weekend somewhere to get away from it all, we booked up in a lovely little hotel down me the dales and off we set.

Once at the hotel we quickly thumbed though the booklets/ leaflets and saw Gordale Scar which we both liked the look off , the receptionist stated that the main path is was disabled friendly (to a certain degree) so that was planed in for the next day.

9893qd.jpg

As far as walks go this was rather a small one but I was in the early days of learning to walk again and didn’t want to go too far out of my comfort zone.

Any way the walk,

28luvro.jpg

for full walk please go link:

http://northumbria-walkingforum.co.uk/foru...?f=31&t=207

enjoy & thanks Mick

ps This was less than two miles Lynne :biggrin:

Thanks Mick,

I do appreciate what you are saying.

I hope to be able to get out into Northumberland in the summer and start some gentle walks. Even if I have to use crutches!

I agree that it should never be about distance and time not in any competitive sense! I was coming purely from a planning point of view.

It would be beneficial to know approximate times and distances so I can plan my day, and not go beyond my capabilities!

Perhaps others who might be thinking of joining an amp walking group with you would need this info also?

I am sure you are an inspiration to others and will continue to be so.

Best wishes

Lynne

Sorry Lynne,

Some times I can’t see the wood for the trees,

I was hoping to talk to the person over the phone, even before we started just to get an idea of what there level was so I could tailor a walk to there needs.

I know what you mean about planning , but the beauty of the walks that have been earmarked as shall we say the first few “ starter or tester walks” can be extended or shortened depending on what that persons comfort zone is .

The idea is that if someone is struggling there is Always a VERY SHORT way back or even a near by pick up point where it is possible to get a car or even a quad bike to that person

I want to encourage people out there knowing that it is up to them to go as far and as fast as they want to, knowing that I have got a safe way or means to get them back if things don’t work out. (It doesn’t matter one tiny bit if we don’t finish the walk)

Once they are confident we can go further and higher, all I am doing is providing a bit of first hand local knowledge about what to expect in that area or how to get to another area.

Just as a matter of interest I haven’t posted any of the walks that I have done with the national parks service yet as I am still hoping that they will do them in time for the warmer months, and even if they don’t I know that I can still expect some sort of support from the ranger service even if its just a call in and out, but if this takes off I would hope for a bit more from there department. They are nice people.

Anyway, please keep the questions coming because I don’t really know how to go about setting this up and need any feed back both good and bad .

I have a meeting at the limb centre next week to see if they will allow me to put up posters they had no problems when it was going to have some sort of official backing but now its just me they might have different views .so keep your fingers crossed .

………Mick

Ingram Valley hill tops.

Taken from the walk

When I did this walk, I have to say I got it totally wrong & once again learnt the importance of checking the weather even for a low level walk. And it shows how quickly the weather can change up in the hills.

xp37k5.jpg

15hlpbp.jpg

Full walk link:

http://northumbria-walkingforum.co.uk/foru...?f=11&t=208

Not one of my better walks, but there is a lesson to be learnt here. Keep an eye on the weather it can and does change very quickly up here.

thanks and enjoy ...................mick

just under 6 miles but not a starter route