Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
cherylm

Make Your Own Amputee Accomplishment!

Easter tor

Taken from the walk :-

The walk for today 06/04/10 was never going to be simple, after my last disastrous

Walk at Ashgill Force.

To start with I had got a new cylinder for the leg and yes I know that they didn’t alter anything it still felt different, added to that I had been stuck at work on night shift so I really NEEDED to get out and do some walking done.

I am a firm believer that the only way to get settled with any changes with the leg is to take it out and push both it and yourselves to “make it” do what you want when you want to I suppose it the fear syndrome

The weather didn’t look that promising but I will worry about that when it happens.

Right where to go there is still a lot of wet mangy snow lying about in the higher hills but towards the east they are mostly snow free so that will be the area, plus there is a weather front moving across from the west so it should give me a bit more time before it starts to rain.

I decided that I would try to do Easter Tor & Newton Tor high above the lovely College Valley.

2nhl0l4.jpg

taken from the walk :-

Getting closer, but as I get more exposed the wind is getting stronger I am at this stage finding hard to swing my left leg forward, I have resorted to twisting it and almost “side stepping”

302qs1e.jpg

full walk link:-

http://northumbria-walkingforum.co.uk/foru...?f=11&t=210

ps Just over 5 miles BUT not a starter route :laugh:

Love the photographs Mick .... brilliant scenery ...must be a lovely part of the world to live in.

Love the photographs Mick .... brilliant scenery ...must be a lovely part of the world to live in.

Thanks Anne,

It is a lovely part of the country to live in, but the thing I like the best is the tranquillity especially when you disappear into the hills.

Mick

The old man of Storr

2h72u5i.jpg

Taken from the walk

This was one of my must do walks whilst we where up on the Island of Skye, dispite the wet weather that we had been having (we spent just over two weeks on the island only having two day of good weather).

I had to do this walk, I had spent months of walking getting fitter and more confident constantly pushing myself and the arty leg just to get to this stage so there was no way that a bit of wet weather was going to stop this from happening so one morning when the weather seemed a bit more promising we set off.

For this walk we chose to follow the popular forest path (risking the mossies) to the unique volcanic landscape of the Sanctuary with its extraordinary rock pinnacles including the spectacular Old Man of Storr and The Needle, from the Old Man and the Sanctuary we wanted to make our way up the footpath heading north and uphill away from The Needle. After climbing uphill on the footpath we eventually come to coire Scamadal where you need to cross the barbed wire fence with a stile in it.

2pzxs1v.jpg

full report please go to link:

http://northumbria-walkingforum.co.uk/foru...?f=11&t=218

enjoy & thanks

ps not a starter route

Steall falls and the Nevis Gorge,

6edshd.jpg

taken from the walk

Last Summer (yes we did have a couple of hot days) me and my better half took the sweat box up to Scotland and stopped at the caravan and camping site in the beautiful Nevis Gorge, now normally we don’t like the big sites, but somehow the owners of this site have got it right, yes its big but somehow the site seems small and extremely welcoming, it could be due to the fact that towering above you is Ben Nevis. But what a view to wake up to in the morning. If you have seen it I don’t need to say anymore, if you haven’t go see.

We had a couple of short walks planned in as we where on a very short stop over , I wish that we had put more time aside because this area was screaming to be walked .

As we set up the van you couldn’t but notice the constant stream of hikers slowly plodding there way up Ben Nevis. I really wanted to have a go myself, I know that I could make it if I set off very early and kept going all day, but the attempted would leave me totally knackered /sore /broken for at least 3 or 4 days afterwards and I just didn’t have that much time to waist sitting around waiting for the leg to heal up again.

Its not often I get down about losing my leg but I so wanted to be one of those plodding up that mountain, later that evening we got talking to some of the hikers at the campsite and I must admit I did feel a bit jealous that they had been up there and I hadn’t. (It’s not a feeling that I am proud about but it’s what I felt at the time) why o why hadn’t I done this when I had two legs. Regrets yes this is another one. Right that’s enough of that you don’t want my life story.

15qdkwz.jpg

full walk please go to link:-

http://northumbria-walkingforum.co.uk/foru...?f=11&t=219

thanks & enjoy

ps just over 2 miles

Mick, you make me wish I could go there. Regrets? Don't we all have some? I regret taking two normal legs for granted. I live on the Gulf of Mexico. There is a bridge here that connects the town where live, Biloxi, to the next town east, Ocean Springs. It was destroyed in Katrina, the big hurricane in '05. It was rebuilt higher (about 90 ft at it's peak) so that it wouldn't have to open for shrimp boats with tall antenna, etc. and has a separate lane for walking. Needless, to say, I could never make it up the hill. As I ride across, I watch the walkers, runners and bicyclers and wish with all my heart that I could go the distance. It's so beautiful on the water but the hill is so high. Sigh... but life goes on and it IS good. I walk the sidewalk along the beach and thank God I can do it. Love your posts and pics.

Mick, you make me wish I could go there. Regrets? Don't we all have some? I regret taking two normal legs for granted. I live on the Gulf of Mexico. There is a bridge here that connects the town where live, Biloxi, to the next town east, Ocean Springs. It was destroyed in Katrina, the big hurricane in '05. It was rebuilt higher (about 90 ft at it's peak) so that it wouldn't have to open for shrimp boats with tall antenna, etc. and has a separate lane for walking. Needless, to say, I could never make it up the hill. As I ride across, I watch the walkers, runners and bicyclers and wish with all my heart that I could go the distance. It's so beautiful on the water but the hill is so high. Sigh... but life goes on and it IS good. I walk the sidewalk along the beach and thank God I can do it. Love your posts and pics.

Thanks for the kind words Marcia, it sounds like a lovely place to be.

its not often that I have regrets , but every now and then something crops up that triggers some....... "if only ".......thought . I didn’t mean to upset any one but its like you say life is good if you want it to be

…………….Mick

The Quiraing.

Taken from the walk

There isn’t really any thing I can say about this walk; from the minute you park up the car the views are just spectacular.

It took me and my better half about an hour just to get our boots on simply because I just couldn’t concentrate on sorting out the kit. It is just simply stunning , if I ever needed a reason to regain my walking ability it is simply to come here and take in the views , even now when I look at the photos that I took I get a real good feeling about just being there.

szwei8.jpg

2b4c52.jpg

If there is any amputees reading this that are having hard times and wondering is it worth all the pain and hassle trying to walk again, you need to come here any doubt will disappear as this wonder of nature calls out to you inviting you to walk along and simply look out into the …………………………… (Mick now just wanders off with a happy smile on his face)

Enjoy & thanks

full walk (warning long post) link

http://northumbria-walkingforum.co.uk/foru...?f=11&t=220

Mick, that is absolutely breathtaking! It's only been the past year or two that I've started to get my ability to walk over open ground back...until then, I was more or less "restricted" to paved paths in fairly level areas. It was more because of the problems with my right foot, rather than anything with my prosthesis. But it's slowly been improving...and there's some really fine countryside up in the part of the state where I'll be relocating this summer. So I may yet be "picking your brain" for walking tips! :smile:

Hi Cheryl

I don’t know about the picking my brain bit but the real fine countryside up in your part of the state sounds good enough for a few exploratory trips out.

There is nothing like the lure of some beautiful country side to get you out.

Ruck sack on your back full of food and drink, hiking poles at the ready and small mat to sit on,

It doesn’t matter how far you go just being there is enough to start with.

You might surprises yourself how easy and forgiving it is, and once you get hooked you got further and further without even realising the distances.

I can honestly say that I manage so much better out in the wilds than trashing around the town, give me a mountain to climb up over a trip to the shops any day.

And thanks

Holystone starter route.

taken from the walk

This is a lovely walk that can be extended or shortened, depending on the needs of the people that are walking it.

It has several good points and unfortunately a couple of bad points.

The bad points are that there are no toilets and no tea room’s .the nearest being in Rothbury or Alwinton.

1zb6hsn.jpg

Now dropping down towards the footbridge. (This is the only down hill section on this walk)

162jdh.jpg

http://northumbria-walkingforum.co.uk/foru...?f=31&t=227

Easy starter route about 2 miles max

Wow, Mick. Awesome country! Keep on keeping on! :biggrin:

Mooching around Malham.

taken from the walk :-

At Shorkley /Sheriff Hill the land starts to open up, both Yvonne and I stopped and went wow absolutely stunning. And this wasn’t even the “highlight “of this walk.

ive4js.jpg

On top of the cove showing some of the limestone pavements which the dales are well known.

It is the first time I have had to walk on this, and I must tell you that it is extremely difficult; it has the habit of turning the foot just as you weight bear throwing totally of balance in any direction.

Make note to one self WALKING ON THIS FOR THE FIRST TIME ON TOP OF A HUGE CLIFF EDGE IS NOT ONE OF MY BETTER IDEAS.

k01smh.jpg

for full walk please go to link:

http://northumbria-walkingforum.co.uk/foru...?f=11&t=230

enjoy & thanks .................Mick

Just want you to know I am enjoying this section so much Mick. :happy:

A stroll around Shill Moor

Taken from the walk :-

When I did this walk I didn’t really have any real plans where I was going to go , it was a case of get up, grab my kit, and drive . (Big mistake)

I ended up parking the car at Hartside in the Ingram valley.

I was going to have a walk up to the top of Shill Moor (528meters)

But half way up it seemed so boring I decided to go around it instead.

21bu1kp.jpg

xkx3ew.jpg

also taken from the walk

All in all a good little walk much more rewarding than just bagging another hill.

Naturally I got a good rollicking when I got home because I hadn’t left word where I was going or even a drawing on multimap on the p.c for my better half to see. (She worries about me)

And the fact that I didn’t answer the phone when she rang me didn’t help.(no signal then flat battery) I was in big trouble when I got in, it wasn’t until I did some serious grovelling and offered to go shopping for a new outfit for her did she forgive me.

So the lesson here is always TELL SOME ONE WHERE YOU ARE GOING, it saves you a lot of ear bashing and is cheaper than going shopping. It cost me just under £ 200.00 for that shopping trip.

I won’t make that mistake again.

Enjoy my misfortune …………….Mick

full trip report

http://northumbria-walkingforum.co.uk/foru...?f=11&t=233

thanks & enjoy ...........Mick

Mick, glad you made it up the west coast. Last time I stayed at Glen Nevis, 17 wheelchairs and their users went up Ben Nevis, I'm now thinking that I could do it in my wheelchair. I did get the opportunity to climb Nevis when I was younger, bad weather stopped us in the end, never got the chance again. Tip: Always holiday in Scotland in May they seem to get their best weather then.

Steall falls and the Nevis Gorge,

6edshd.jpg

taken from the walk

Last Summer (yes we did have a couple of hot days) me and my better half took the sweat box up to Scotland and stopped at the caravan and camping site in the beautiful Nevis Gorge, now normally we don't like the big sites, but somehow the owners of this site have got it right, yes its big but somehow the site seems small and extremely welcoming, it could be due to the fact that towering above you is Ben Nevis. But what a view to wake up to in the morning. If you have seen it I don't need to say anymore, if you haven't go see.

We had a couple of short walks planned in as we where on a very short stop over , I wish that we had put more time aside because this area was screaming to be walked .

As we set up the van you couldn't but notice the constant stream of hikers slowly plodding there way up Ben Nevis. I really wanted to have a go myself, I know that I could make it if I set off very early and kept going all day, but the attempted would leave me totally knackered /sore /broken for at least 3 or 4 days afterwards and I just didn't have that much time to waist sitting around waiting for the leg to heal up again.

Its not often I get down about losing my leg but I so wanted to be one of those plodding up that mountain, later that evening we got talking to some of the hikers at the campsite and I must admit I did feel a bit jealous that they had been up there and I hadn't. (It's not a feeling that I am proud about but it's what I felt at the time) why o why hadn't I done this when I had two legs. Regrets yes this is another one. Right that's enough of that you don't want my life story.

15qdkwz.jpg

full walk please go to link:-

http://northumbria-walkingforum.co.uk/foru...?f=11&t=219

thanks & enjoy

ps just over 2 miles

Hi Sparky,

Since I did that walk we went back only this time we where beaten by the weather, the cloud came down and total blotted every thing out we did make it half way to the lake err! Sorry Lochan Meall an t- Suidhe (try saying that when your drunk) :laugh: but you couldn’t see 10 foot in front of you.

The path up to that point would not be a problem to that machine that you ride, but I don’t know what it is like after that.

We started from the camp site and went straight up the side I really wouldn’t go from there. It is much better to go from the visitors centre, a much better track.

If you ever get round to having a go, I would be honoured to accompany you but would need a couple of weeks notice , however I draw the line at pushing , don’t mind sitting on your lap for the ride down .

Will remember May next time we go up there , take care ………..Mick

Church Point

Taken from the walk

Yet another beach walk perhaps not the best beach that we have up here in Northumberland but it has its own rewards and offers a few views that you have to see to truly appreciate.

This walk starts at the car park just before Warkworth golf club.

At the car park there are public toilets and a few wooden benches which make a good spot to a break out the coffee and get your boots on.

On the down side this is a very popular spot for the dog walking brigade.

On leaving the car head down the path straight towards the beach, this path isn’t that great for the like of amputees as it stepped & sloped with loss stones but it is passable with a bit of care and it’s only 100 meters or so long.

289g3uu.jpg

also taken from the walk

Now when I walk through here there is a lovely old couple who often stop me for a chat , I always put on my best puppy dog eyes & begging look till they offer to offer me a cup of tea .and if you are really lucky a slice of cake .

So when walking through here it pays to be extremely nice to any one who speaks to you.

Right after you drag yourself away carry on along this footpath by this time you should be in the Buston Links section and have gained a small amount of height

23mphk7.jpg

full walk please go link :-

http://northumbria-walkingforum.co.uk/foru...?f=31&t=234

Enjoy and thanks ................Mick

Sorry it would appear that the links no longer work on my other walks never mind theres always another one.

Latest walk Great Hetha :angry:

Taken from the walk:-

For some strange reason when I woke up this morning I felt that I had to go to the summit of Great Hetha , why I havent got a clue , but long ago I discovered that if something is bugging me the only way to get rid of the feeling is to do something about it.

So that was the walk for today.

Being an extremely wise person I informed my better half over a cup of coffee, and drew a nice little map of where I was planning to go. Not that she needed the map as we have been up that way so many times I am on almost on first name terms with most of the sheep.

on my way up the burn

znrkef.jpg

the summit

axxmco.jpg

me

e81sfc.jpg

full walk see link (if it works )

http://northumbria-walkingforum.co.uk/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=239

enjoy ...............Mick

taken from the walk

St Abb”s

Over the last five years we have been attempting to slowly walk bits of the coastline, it started off by us doing a trip to someplace having a walk along , then next time pick up from where we left off, slowly we are working our way up .

We Started near Scarborough and have slowly worked our way up, we have by passed the built up areas after all who in there right mind wants to walk along a front street with all the holiday makers or the industrial sections.

As we got further away from our home the distance to travel for a day walk became too far so we started to take the caravan with us and would spend a few days on location before moving on. A bit like wild camping :wacko: but with a bit of comfort and style thrown in.

This walk was taken from one such trip.

It’s in Scotland, so the weather was its normal self and it rained non stop.

2hfp4w3.jpg

Me (secretly praying that the rain would stop before my better half pushes me over the cliff) :ohmy:

2v983k3.jpg

Another few shots of the coast line, we decided to call it a day at this point, it’s no fun walking when the wind is blowing and it’s that very heavy drizzle type rain that gets every thing soaking wet.

2v98xz8.jpg

full walk link :-

http://northumbria-walkingforum.co.uk/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=240

A wander to Longknowe Hill

My walk today was one that I had mixed feelings about because I had never walked in that particular area so I didn’t know what to expect, also the route that I was going to do didn’t follow any footpaths (it’s all open access so it’s not trespassing or anything like that).

So I was a bit excited that I was going to start to create my own paths again but a bit apprenstive if I got it wrong or it was above my ability.

The other thing was one of the Hills that I planned to reach this day was one that I had learnt to hang glide on, I really have got happy memories about that hill, and as any one who knows me will tell you it is the one sport that I loved yet had to give up since I lost my leg. (I have to be honest here I was pretty crap at landing anyway).

However I did have one disaster on this route, which if you want to know about (and have a good laugh) :laugh: you will have to read the full account.

ddkw8l.jpg

96b7t2.jpg

http://northumbria-walkingforum.co.uk/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=241

enjoy & thanks ..........Mick

A small walk around Alwinton.

I m going to class this small walk as yet another starter route for several reasons .the main reason is its just under two miles , however it ticks all my boxes, for example :

There are toilet facilities both at the start / finish and about half way round.

There is also food and drinks available at the start and half way round.

The pick up points for cars is about 80% of the route, yet you would never realise it when walking.

The walking conditions are very good with a bit of all types of surface to walk on, which is never a bad thing, after all to walk safely on all types of terrain we do need to practise on it.

I mean I have never come across an outside surface that is like the floor in the limb centre, so practise and a bit more practise.

Ok the walk

ae18qb.jpg

6psqh3.jpg

http://northumbria-walkingforum.co.uk/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=242

enjoy .............Mick

taken from the walk

St Abb"s

Over the last five years we have been attempting to slowly walk bits of the coastline, it started off by us doing a trip to someplace having a walk along , then next time pick up from where we left off, slowly we are working our way up .

We Started near Scarborough and have slowly worked our way up, we have by passed the built up areas after all who in there right mind wants to walk along a front street with all the holiday makers or the industrial sections.

As we got further away from our home the distance to travel for a day walk became too far so we started to take the caravan with us and would spend a few days on location before moving on. A bit like wild camping wacko.gif but with a bit of comfort and style thrown in.

This walk was taken from one such trip.

It's in Scotland, so the weather was its normal self and it rained non stop.

2hfp4w3.jpg

Me (secretly praying that the rain would stop before my better half pushes me over the cliff) ohmy.gif

2v983k3.jpg

Another few shots of the coast line, we decided to call it a day at this point, it's no fun walking when the wind is blowing and it's that very heavy drizzle type rain that gets every thing soaking wet.

2v98xz8.jpg

http://northumbria-w....php?f=11&t=240

Mick, I was in St Abbs last May and guess what...

IMG_0212.jpg