Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
myztogen

New to site and Amputation

Hi to everyone on here. My name is Keith. I am from Wales in the UK. I have recently had a right leg above knee amputation. This was due to a sporting injury ( Rugby Union). I am unable to wear my NHS prosthetic leg due to pain, I hope this will get easier in time.

Its great to find a site like this, and chat with like minded people.

Welcome to the forum Keith....

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems and are unable to wear your leg... Do you know what is causing all of the pain when you try to wear your leg?

Hi Keith,

Just like to welcome you to this site,

Losing a leg is bad enough but not being able to wear your prosthetic leg really sucks .Hope that you get the pain sorted out fast. And as a rule it does get easer as time go on.

Take care …………Mick

PS just being nosey is the pain because of your prosthetic limb?

Sorry ignore that last question Higgy has already asked. :closedeyes:

Keith,

Coming here was a good move, I have learned a lot from others here. I lost my left above the knee (LAK) a little over a year ago in a car accident. I also had a revision recently due to some bone spurs that developed. The bone spurs were so painful that I couldnt wear my prosthetic leg.

Along with Higgy and Mick, my question would be to learn more about where you feel the pain, and even what kind of pain - does it hurt on your skin, or bone, or do you feel too much pressure? I bad fit can cause all sorts of interesting pain.

My first question is how long ago was it that you had your amputation?

Dale

Hi, Keith, and welcome :smile: I'd ask the same as the others have: what sort of pain do you feel, and under what conditions do you feel it? I'm not an AK, so I'll leave the technical stuff to our AK members, but I can say that a prosthesis is NOT supposed to hurt. Figuring out why it's hurting for you would be a big step toward improving matters!

Hi there, thanks to all who emailed. The pain I believe is to do will bone and nerve. Also I have open wounds that wont heal, The surgeon had a look and said that blood wasn't getting to the end of my limb.

I had the amputation done just over a year ago. I have caught MRSA four times, so this wont help lol. Im not sure if an operation can be done to sort the nerves and bone.

I hope everyone had a lovely weekend

keith

Good luck... I'll say welcome too.... I'm a RAK, for 25+ years, any questions fire away, I'm in Hampshire if you're ever over this way... as Mick says, things get better over time hopefully, just need to get rid of those infections and things will look up...

Welcome, keith. Glad to have you on the site. MRSA truly does suck and I wish you the very best. There is a lot of experiance to be found here. Just keep asking for what you need to know.

hi, nice to see you on here, good place to be, great folks & great help if needed. i'm RBK for 19 years now, wear the leg all day, but if i can't i'm not a happy bunny!!!

once again nice to see you, i'm in york by the way

maggie