Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gibby

New here - introduction

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and thought I would introduce myself. I have been RAK since 1983 due to Ewing's Sarcoma. I'm kind of a forum junkie but of late have not been active in any kind of amputee forum. I tried to join this one at one point in the past but it was temporarily closed. Anyway, I've found I can always learn something new by hearing what others are doing and maybe I can add something helpful for someone else.

I have gotten along pretty well as an RAK and I really can't complain. My non-traumatic amputation was probably easier than some caused by trauma. I also had nine months notice to prepare myself for the eventual surgery. The hardest times I've had were in the early days when I had a crappy prosthesis due to a lousy prosthetist and the fact my insurance coverage was very limited. I've had a full suction socket but for the first year when I had a horrible thing with a belt while my leg was still shrinking. I've had a c-leg for quite a while now - maybe five years or more. I have a Freedom runway foot.

One thing that has really changed for me over the years is that I quit having a cosmetic cover on my leg. Once I got a c-leg I just dispensed with that foam cover completely and that has been a very liberating experience. I used to be so obsessed about that foam cover and the shape of it and whether the knee was wrinkled and it took longer to get it on and off and get that foam cover all "perfect". I wear shorts and skirts in the summer and it's no big deal. At most people are interested and curious and I tell them about my c-leg.

I'm happy with the whole setup I have right now. It's comfortable and I can usually walk quite a distance - 45 minutes or an hour - a couple miles or more. Before I found a decent prosthetist and improved insurance coverage I'd reached the point where I couldn't walk to the end of my driveway. At that point I never dreamed I'd be able to walk pretty much wherever I want or walk for exercise.

I'm married - 32 years - no kids. I have a nice career - a lot of work but I like it and make a good living and have decent insurance - so far. That of course is up for change each year with my U.S. employer but so far so good. I bike recreationally, sail, kayak in the summer along with walking for exercise. I also hit the tennis ball but I rarely play a game since there's a lot of the court I just can't get to fast enough. I play doubles once in a while but mostly I like to just get out and hit the ball. In the winter I ride an exercise bike and not so much walking outside as I'm a bit concerned about the ice. If it's nice, packed snow and no ice then I go out. I have osteoporosis in my right hip - really would hate to fall and break that baby.

Anyway, that's kind of it in a nutshell. I have been reading here a bit prior to posting - interesting to read what everyone has to say and nice to "meet" you.

Welcome Gibby. Nice to hear good things about people. We just get along with what we've got.

You can be a lot of help to some.

Gibby glad you have climbed on board...you sound so much like me. My name is ann{eag} LBK due to a blockage in the aorta...live in southern part of Ohio. My amputation occured Jan. '02. Back to you sound alot like me...I am still in the stage of having to have my leg covered. Maybe I'll get to the next stage soon. :smile:

Welcome to the forum,

I am sure you have a lot to contribute, given your experience as an amputee.

Hi and welcome! Good to have you with us! :biggrin: