Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
caroln

Paralympics

Hello everyone! I am ticked off once again that there is absolutely no coverage in the U.S. on the Paralympics. The only thing I could find was an hour on a Saturday afternoon showing some of the opening ceremony. I looked on the websites for GE/NBC and MSNBC, the stations that were funding the television coverage and the only website they gave to watch anything was a Universal Sports site that nobody had overe here!

Why isn't there an uproar over the lack of television coverage for these great athletes? Why aren't we, as amputees, getting together and protesting? Why are we accepting this?

I am setting as my mission for the next paralympics, extended television coverage. To begin with, we'll keep it simple and just request the coverage. I don't care if it's on at 3:00 in the a.m., just so that it is on. I can't imagine how it must feel to be a parathlete and trained for all these years to have no coverage to family or friends at home. I was hoping that since there is a lot of coverage of veterans in the paralympics, this would improve, but it has not.

It is time that recognition is given to these athletes and their families for the time and committment they have given. I welcome any thoughts and ideas. And please let me know if I am wrong and just have not been looking in the right places.

Caroln

was fine in europe!

The sitski racing was very impressive!

Hey, Caveman, what's the European coverage like? Does real competition get shown? In depth?

We got a two-hour compilation of the Beijing Paralympics a couple of years back, which focused very, very heavily on "inspiring stories" and only showed brief moments of competition to show how our "inspirational people" fared when they competed. I was glad to see it...it was the first time I'd ever heard of network TV coverage of the paralympics...but I really would have liked to see some more-or-less full-length events.

There is supposed to be another two-hour compilation coming up on Vancouver...check out Kep's post on the paralympic pics thread. I'll be watching it, but I'm really concerned that it will be another one of those inspire-a-thons that make the able-bodied out there go "awwwww...how special."

Well, yes, we ARE special...but for what we DO, for pete's sake! Please SHOW what we're capable of doing!

Okay...I'm hopping off the soapbox..........

They were live on www.paralympicsport.tv, and you can still go there right now and watch any of the events on demand for free. I had several friends in the games and they have said that they were live on TV there(Canada). I am afraid the US just wouldn't support the tv programming yet, for that matter the US didn't really support the games as anything more than lets pity these poor disabled people until four years ago. You will see a huge difference in another 4 years, the USA sports program has seen enough disabled athletes go onto gold to realize that they should be supporting these athletes like our able bodied counterparts. It only makes since that they would use the inspirational stories to create the buzz these game need to bring in tv viewers, but once people sit down and watch, they will be hooked!

ooo that makes me mad too!!! I wish I could of seen also. How can someone like me help ?

Maybe the ACA could get involved??