Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jacqui

Jacqui coming home

Hi Guys,

Im home!! Very suprised to be but so glad. The op went well although took a little longer than planned, I ended up in theatre for 8 hours and when I woke up was swollen up like a beach ball!! It took so long because my consultant was fantastic and I now have the heel and sole of my foot firmly attached to my stump with full feeling and blood supply. This means, fingers crossed my knee is know safe!!

Im getting about pretty well at home with a wheelchair, going up to bed on my bottom. Still got to work out how to shower at home as my stump is not fully healed yet and I cant get it wet. The hospital really dont want me to use crutches yet and say I have to treat my stump like gold bullion until it is totally healed.

Pain management hasnt been so good, Im getting really bad phantom pain that actually takes my breath away when it happens, Im on a drug called Gabropentin, Im going to see today if I can up the dose. Any advice on phantom pain would be greatly recieved. Also when I let the stump hang down I get a really bad burning sensation??

Im so pleased that the surgery went so well, things are a little tough at the moment as I feel so useless. Im just staying focused that in a few months time I will be on my feet again.

Hope all is well with all you guys, I will keep you posted.

Jacqui xx

Great news Jacqui. Things will seem to go slowly, but don't rush anything. Healing takes time.

Get a shower chair if you have room in your shower. If not, I've been known to sit on the floor to shower. If you have the strength, you can also lean against a wall of the shower. Getting in and out is the most dangerous. I use crutches. I wheel my wife right up to the shower curb and all she has to do is stand up in the shower. The point is.....If there's a will, there's a way. Just be careful and safe.

Try keeping the stump elevated. Phantoms are less. Also keeping a tight wrap around the stump will lessen the phantoms.

There just isn't anything like being back home.

Neal

Hi Guys,

Im home!! Very suprised to be but so glad. The op went well although took a little longer than planned, I ended up in theatre for 8 hours and when I woke up was swollen up like a beach ball!! It took so long because my consultant was fantastic and I now have the heel and sole of my foot firmly attached to my stump with full feeling and blood supply. This means, fingers crossed my knee is know safe!!

Im getting about pretty well at home with a wheelchair, going up to bed on my bottom. Still got to work out how to shower at home as my stump is not fully healed yet and I cant get it wet. The hospital really dont want me to use crutches yet and say I have to treat my stump like gold bullion until it is totally healed.

Pain management hasnt been so good, Im getting really bad phantom pain that actually takes my breath away when it happens, Im on a drug called Gabropentin, Im going to see today if I can up the dose. Any advice on phantom pain would be greatly recieved. Also when I let the stump hang down I get a really bad burning sensation??

Im so pleased that the surgery went so well, things are a little tough at the moment as I feel so useless. Im just staying focused that in a few months time I will be on my feet again.

Hope all is well with all you guys, I will keep you posted.

Jacqui xx

Not exactly sure what you had done, but I was lucky and only had some phantom sensations, toes tingled, foot itched etc. Iwas told to try a couple things. Tense and relax the limb muscles. Also try to get your mind use to the idea that the leg, foot or whatever is missing is gone. Look down and think I shouldn't be feeling that because the foot, leg etc. isn't there. Kind of a mind over matter.

Also if you start using a prosthetic that seems to help the phantom pains/sensations to diminish for SOME people not all.

I gte a pian some times, but it usually is because I need to adjust how I am sitting in the wheelchair.

I hope you recoup quickly and am back to walking soon.

Hey Jacqui!

Glad to hear things are going well. Those phantoms...most, sometimes all, will fade with time. I had pure hell at first. I've tried gabapentin? and amitriptylene and now take lyrica. Lyrica is the only one that gave me real relief without bad side effects. Gabapenton is what everyone seems to try first, even though the success numbers aren't very good. Amitriptylene was a life saver in those first couple months for me, but the side effects suck. Knowing what i do now, i'd ask doc to skip straight to the Lyrica. I think alot of folks end up @50-75mg per day. My latest prescription is for 75mg twice per day, but i'm taking just 75mg again and just have a few of the little bastards(phantoms) sneak by ever so often. Many docs think the amount and intensity of the phantoms is connected with the amount of trauma at the time of amputation. My experience seems to match this.

Phantoms are something hardly anyone knows about, so the docs just throw something at it. Usually the same rock the other kids are throwing. Ask'em to grab the rock that says Lyrica.

hey Jacqui

good to here your home and all went well, thank for your reply, i'm home too and all went well with my op.

i agree about keep the stump up, and banaged tight, i'm on lyrica and it's working for me. one thing i can say is do what the physio say and do the exercises, as they will be well worth it when you get fitted for you new leg.

and keep the spirts up

Hi Jacqui

So glad everything went well and your back home again.

Hope you get your medication for the phantom pain sorted out ok. Other than that try and keep yourself distracted, keep busy, watch TV listen to music or something, anything that stops you thinking about your leg. Only other thing would say is try not to let the stump hang down, have they given you a stump board to fix on your wheelchair to keep the stump out straight, I remember improvising with a tray and a pillow for a while, it will aid the healing, help with the swelling and help keep the knee straight.

Keep thinking happy thoughts.

Ann

Hi Jacqui

I found the phamtoms to really be a mind over matter thing, was started on Gabopentin and the dosage was quickly upped, however I have never been one for depending on any kind of meds so decided to wean myself off as quickly as possible, I dont know whether this is advised but I used to keep my stump moving back and forth and the pains quickly go, however the nightimes were the worse for me, kept waking up, until I tried using a warm hotwater bottle, under my stump and Voila peaceful sleep.

Also get to massaging your stump kinda gets you more accustomed to it, I was really adverse to my kids touching my stump until I began to massage it .

Stay positive and it'll all come to you!

Best wishes

:biggrin: