Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
narooma99

whats a good liner

Hi i am 9 months post amputation now and still having trouble with bruising on the bone of my stump particularly the bottom of my tibia at the front

I am still on my first socket and have a post operative liner its the ossour original its a very thin firm liner and i believe i would do better with a thicker liner that offers more protection i will be seeing the doctor soon does anyone know much about liners? can someone suggest a good one?

I know talk to your leg guy, the problem is they are slow to do anything and any time i bring anything up pretty much all they do is make an adjustment and claim the problem is fixed.

Hi i am 9 months post amputation now and still having trouble with bruising on the bone of my stump particularly the bottom of my tibia at the front

I am still on my first socket and have a post operative liner its the ossour original its a very thin firm liner and i believe i would do better with a thicker liner that offers more protection i will be seeing the doctor soon does anyone know much about liners? can someone suggest a good one?

I know talk to your leg guy, the problem is they are slow to do anything and any time i bring anything up pretty much all they do is make an adjustment and claim the problem is fixed.

Hi Narooma

I have skin grafting so wear a pretty thick liner - but even with this if the socket isn't fitting correctly, or if I have gone down to far in the socket, I will still feel it on the bottom front of the tibia. So you still need a good fitting socket even with a thicker liner.

Ann

Narooma, I've been in both thick, cushy gel liners and thin, fairly firm ones. Right now I'm in the latter and I like it the best of any thickness I've ever tried. Your problem does sound like more of a socket fit problem than a liner problem to me. The bottom of my tibia is a very, very tender point, and it took my leg guys several attempts to figure out how to take the pressure off that spot. They now make a point of making a little "cave" in my socket so that the end of the tibia doesn't touch anything at all.

If your leg guys "make an adjustment and then claim it's fixed," and you know that it is NOT "fixed," you need to stand up for yourself and tell them so. It may take several attempts, but if you keep turning up and saying "nope...it's not right yet," they'll get the message.

hello! i think you can get relief from the bruising. yes, a new liner could help. also, though, your leg should be more supported on the sides, the leg shouldnt be touching the bottom of leg, makes sense? see if prothetist can make leg hang on to the sides of your leg, i just had a new pad added, today, so leg would fit better, always changes needed but no all so often

good luck

Sounds like a fitting problem to me. Your stump is probably clanging against the socket like a clapper on a bell. Cut some socks into booties where they only cover the bottom 3-4 inches of your stump. Put your leg into the socket and see if this helps. If it does, it's probably time for a new socket. I happen to think that the thinner Ossur liners are the best.

thanks for your help guys funny that firmer liners are the better ones but i believe you are correct Neal can you tell specifically which ossur liners you think are good when you say thin do you mean one with a three millimeter profile

i tried what you said with the socks and i am fairing much better