Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Caper

EV system vs Suction System

Hi there,

A friend of mine is a LBK, and is in the process of switching over like myself, from the pin liner and total contact socket , to a suction type system, and he was wondering if anyone could elaborate the differences between the Elevated Vacuum system and the regular Suction system with regards to maintenance, durability, and ease of use. He knows how they both work, he's just wondering if the EV system will be easy to work on by himself being his cp is quite far away, 20 hours drive or more. If anyone can write back with some feedback about the two, I would greatly appreciate it and pass on the info !

Thanks !

Caper

I've used both. The EV system makes the leg feel like it is a natural extension of your leg. It is very solid, comfortable and reasonably easy to donn. On the other hand it is a very sensitive system. If you get the slightest hole in the sleeve, you lose vacuum. You won't lose the leg because the sleeve is still in place. The leg just feels different. It becomes a regular suction system. It should not be used for very active people or those who are extremely hard on their equipment. It is just too easy and expensive to damage the sleeves. There isn't much maintenance unless the pump fails. The sleeves could be mailed to him.

If they could make a stronger sleeve, the EV is the best system I've ever used. I will never use a pin system again as it caused way too much pain by the end of the day. I now use an Ossur 5-seal liner. It has the ease of the pin without the pulling. It also is quite secure.

I've used both. The EV system makes the leg feel like it is a natural extension of your leg. It is very solid, comfortable and reasonably easy to donn. On the other hand it is a very sensitive system. If you get the slightest hole in the sleeve, you lose vacuum. You won't lose the leg because the sleeve is still in place. The leg just feels different. It becomes a regular suction system. It should not be used for very active people or those who are extremely hard on their equipment. It is just too easy and expensive to damage the sleeves. There isn't much maintenance unless the pump fails. The sleeves could be mailed to him.

If they could make a stronger sleeve, the EV is the best system I've ever used. I will never use a pin system again as it caused way too much pain by the end of the day. I now use an Ossur 5-seal liner. It has the ease of the pin without the pulling. It also is quite secure.

Thanks for the detailed response, Neal. I'll be sure to let him know, and I appreciate the info for myself as well. About the Ossur 5 seal liner, does this system require a sleeve over the socket ? I really like the ease of the pin system, but like yourself, it is very painful and doesn't feel attached and secure, and I'm getting tired of the pulling action. The worst of it all for me is I'm an athletic person trapped in a situation where pain and lack of control are holding me back. I know I'm so much more capable of doing a lot more physically because I've challenged myself athletically for the past 20 years as competitve champion bodybuilder, so this should be a cakewalk for me, but realistically, it's been the toughest challenge so far. I just hope that this move towards the suction system gives me the means to move forward....

Thanks again for the reply !

Caper

The 5-seal doesn't require a sleeve. It is as easy to donn and doff as a pin system.