Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
df03

where to buy or sell single shoes????

Hi all,

I have just joined on behalf of my other half who had a below knee amputation 4 weeks ago, so I am sure we will be popping up on a regular basis, there sure looks to be a lot of interesting and helpful stuff, which will come in sooooo helpful because to be honest the hospital pre and post surgery help has been an absolute load of rubbish.

...ANYWAY...

hope you dont mind me kicking of my memership with a question?

where do you buy or sell single shoes? we have just bought him some trainers but was stuck with a single left shoe, didnt have a clue what to do with it so thought we'd try ebay... but is there a good place to buy single shoes (for half the price if you get what I mean- half the price of an average pair), we found one site but they are charging stupid amounts, in fact it would be cheaper to just buy a pair from new, which we did,

what do you do with your odd shoes?

thanks for reading and for any advise you might be able to offer, x

Dear Friend-

Why do you need single shoes? If your partner is planning on getting a prosthetic---and I seriously hope he is planning this---he will NEED the other shoe! You don't use a "special" other shoe, you put the mate to the pair on and off you go. If he is like most people he should be in line for prosthetic fitting starting at about 6 weeks after the surgery. So the shoes will still be relatively new. If I am missing something here please let me know!

eBay is one resource for this sort of thing---when I had two wildly different size feet (pre-amp) I checked there but again the selection was limited and the prices might have been OK but the shipping was sometimes outrageous.

If he receives a prosthetic ask your leg person what kind of shoes they reccommend ---this will affect what the foot/leg/ankle are "set" for to allow the best walking angles.

And from personal experiance---the feet are SLIPPERY---do NOT try walking around on them esp on tile etc---you can lose control in an instant and take a nasty fall. Keep a slipper on it if you think you might need to put the leg on during the night if you have taken the regular shoe off. Oh and baby powder (between the shoe and sock or shoe and foot) is a wonderful way to get a slightly too small shoe on---remember you will not have the same "break-in" that a "regular" foot will have in a shoe and there is no flexibility on a pros foot like a real foot so a bit of pulling and tugging will occur--- an old fashioned shoe horn is a good idea they make special long ones for just this use, ask your leg person where to get one. Running shoes that have that "elastic" across the tongue have been very hard to get on for me, I have thought that cutting the elastic would help but have just bought other shoes instead. Good luck!!!!

DeHi all,

I have just joined on behalf of my other half who had a below knee amputation 4 weeks ago, so I am sure we will be popping up on a regular basis, there sure looks to be a lot of interesting and helpful stuff, which will come in sooooo helpful because to be honest the hospital pre and post surgery help has been an absolute load of rubbish.

...ANYWAY...

where do you buy or sell single shoes? we have just bought him some trainers but was stuck with a single left shoe, didnt have a clue what to do with it so thought we'd try ebay... but is there a good place to buy single shoes (for half the price if you get what I mean- half the price of an average pair), we found one site but they are charging stupid amounts, in fact it would be cheaper to just buy a pair from new, which we did,

Dear Friend-

Why do you need single shoes? If your partner is planning on getting a prosthetic---and I seriously hope he is planning this---he will NEED the other shoe! You don't use a "special" other shoe, you put the mate to the pair on and off you go. If he is like most people he should be in line for prosthetic fitting starting at about 6 weeks after the surgery. So the shoes will still be relatively new. If I am missing something here please let me know!

eBay is one resource for this sort of thing---when I had two wildly different size feet (pre-amp) I checked there but again the selection was limited and the prices might have been OK but the shipping was sometimes outrageous.

If he receives a prosthetic ask your leg person what kind of shoes they reccommend ---this will affect what the foot/leg/ankle are "set" for to allow the best walking angles.

And from personal experiance---the feet are SLIPPERY---do NOT try walking around on them esp on tile etc---you can lose control in an instant and take a nasty fall. Keep a slipper on it if you think you might need to put the leg on during the night if you have taken the regular shoe off. Oh and baby powder (between the shoe and sock or shoe and foot) is a wonderful way to get a slightly too small shoe on---remember you will not have the same "break-in" that a "regular" foot will have in a shoe and there is no flexibility on a pros foot like a real foot so a bit of pulling and tugging will occur--- an old fashioned shoe horn is a good idea they make special long ones for just this use, ask your leg person where to get one. Running shoes that have that "elastic" across the tongue have been very hard to get on for me, I have thought that cutting the elastic would help but have just bought other shoes instead. Good luck!!!!

thank you for your reply,

we hadn't realised that it would be so quick to get a prosthetic leg,

as I say the pre and post care from the hospital has been appaulling, they basically havent told him anything,

we thought it would be weeks/months before it was sorted, thought he'd have to wait for the swelling to go and the scar to hea etc,

hey you learn something new every day, lol,

thanks for your advice re. the prosthetic as well,

just been having a read through the site and reckon its fab, finding out loads, x

DeHi all,

...ANYWAY...

I'll throw in some trivia here- I don't wear a prosthesis when i ride, so i've experienced the one boot dilema personally. My current boot was given me by the manufacturer as part of a sponsorship. I discussed the one boot thing with them and you know what? Package still showed up with a pair. So, i stripped all the buckles and toe piece off of the spare boot and saved the spare parts for the one i use. :smile: