Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
eb2phkingood

Best Knee for Knee disartic? Rheo, Plie, C-leg, or standard EBS 3R60?

hi everyone! i am a 23 year old male who was a division 1 athlete about 2 years ago until i was in a vehicle accident. i use to long jump around 25 feet or 7.6 meters. i was left a knee disartic which i am sure you all know has some advantages and some disadvantages. right now i am on the most basic 4 bar knee from otto bock and it just cant keep up with me anymore. so i am going to get (more than likely) one of the 4 following legs. c-leg, rheo, plie, or just a standard 3r60. i used the 3r60 for 4 days and it was amazing compared to what i have now. however everyone is telling me the microprocessor knees are soooo much better especially for someone as young and active as myself. my concerns are this: being a knee disartic i dont have a lot of room. so the c-leg will only fit under me with the shortest pylon and a select number of feet (since you are SUPPOSE to use the ottoB feet) the plie and the rheo are both shorter than the c-leg but all in all, all 3 of them will stick out almost 3 inches when i am sitting down. that is A LOT when you are a knee disarticulation. my knee joints are already significantly off. i just was not sure if going to a microprocessor knee was a good idea for me. or if you guys thought i should stick with a manual knee of some sort, such as the 3r60. i just know insurance will only get me 1 more leg so i want to make sure i get this right! and in my area i dont have the ability to test out the microprocessor legs. any input or advice is greatly appreciated. im about 6"2 and weigh about 180 pounds and im very athletic (ride a bike 20-30 miles a day) and soon will be running (although i know the microprocessor knees arent for running i am getting a running knee donated to me very soon) once again thanks for all the input! if you have any other knees or suggestions for me please feel free to let me know.

C-leg= pros: biggest company, coming out with a new cleg soon that is water proof so switching to it eventually will be an easy change. it the most widely used microprocessor knee. cons: have to use ottoB feet, barely fits under me, expensive, cant get it wet

rheo= pros: big company as well, new rheo is way better than the old, and most people tell me its better for high impact. cons: cant get it wet

plie= pros: can use camera batteries if i want to, water resistant, cheaper. cons: smaller company, single piston top, no knee disartic attachment YET although they are working on it

i am very open to all ideas and thoughts! -wade

Welcome EB!

Like you, I'm a right knee disart. I have the C-leg and love it. Now it's the only knee that I have tried, but we set it up that way due to my activity level. (I am 40 though, so not as fast and quick as I used to be but understand what you're after). I use the second mode for my golf swing which makes the game real competitive (handicap has come down to 11).

I ride the motorcycle with it and don't think twice about the setup.

Choosing the right knee is personal, but you seem to be well informed.

Now for giggles, I have an XT-9 for my rock climbing and board sports. Of course you can't walk with this knee, but it sure is fun.

When it comes to knee center and the difference, I don't even pay attention anymore. If people wonder about your knee sticking out make sure you point out that it's a prosthetic! :tongue:

Good luck and keep us posted.

Your question specifically relates to high activity and knee disartic, so you may want to consider the KX06 from Endolite. It was designed specifically for those two criteria. It has a very short build hieght above the knee centre and uses a hydraulic cylinder.

I have to confess I work for the company, but am not a salesman, just offering another alternative because I happen to know it exists. This is purely to give you the full picture in case no one has mentioned it before.

I'll say no more.

You don't say where you're from so I'll assume the USA, so have posted the USA site.

http://www.endolite.com/knees_kx06.php

As a matter of interest, any 4 bar linkage knee will have an effective centre of rotation above the hardware, which is what makes them ideal for through knee amputees.

hi everyone! i am a 23 year old male who was a division 1 athlete about 2 years ago until i was in a vehicle accident. i use to long jump around 25 feet or 7.6 meters. i was left a knee disartic which i am sure you all know has some advantages and some disadvantages. right now i am on the most basic 4 bar knee from otto bock and it just cant keep up with me anymore. so i am going to get (more than likely) one of the 4 following legs. c-leg, rheo, plie, or just a standard 3r60. i used the 3r60 for 4 days and it was amazing compared to what i have now. however everyone is telling me the microprocessor knees are soooo much better especially for someone as young and active as myself. my concerns are this: being a knee disartic i dont have a lot of room. so the c-leg will only fit under me with the shortest pylon and a select number of feet (since you are SUPPOSE to use the ottoB feet) the plie and the rheo are both shorter than the c-leg but all in all, all 3 of them will stick out almost 3 inches when i am sitting down. that is A LOT when you are a knee disarticulation. my knee joints are already significantly off. i just was not sure if going to a microprocessor knee was a good idea for me. or if you guys thought i should stick with a manual knee of some sort, such as the 3r60. i just know insurance will only get me 1 more leg so i want to make sure i get this right! and in my area i dont have the ability to test out the microprocessor legs. any input or advice is greatly appreciated. im about 6"2 and weigh about 180 pounds and im very athletic (ride a bike 20-30 miles a day) and soon will be running (although i know the microprocessor knees arent for running i am getting a running knee donated to me very soon) once again thanks for all the input! if you have any other knees or suggestions for me please feel free to let me know.

C-leg= pros: biggest company, coming out with a new cleg soon that is water proof so switching to it eventually will be an easy change. it the most widely used microprocessor knee. cons: have to use ottoB feet, barely fits under me, expensive, cant get it wet

rheo= pros: big company as well, new rheo is way better than the old, and most people tell me its better for high impact. cons: cant get it wet

plie= pros: can use camera batteries if i want to, water resistant, cheaper. cons: smaller company, single piston top, no knee disartic attachment YET although they are working on it

i am very open to all ideas and thoughts! -wade

Hi

Ive been with the Rheo now for over two months and like it very much. Had to go with it due to the c-leg being so long, I wanted option such as a rotator and a torsion adapter, which would not have fit with the c-leg. Still working on the adjustments, they are coming along very well. Can't get them wet is a big problem! I don't know how much it will take. I like to surf fish, so it has stopped that, at leaset for now.

Hi, there

I know a young and very active knee-disartic who once swore by the C-leg who just switched to the new Freedom Plie' 2. He absolutely loves it! I have the original Plie', and find it much less controlling and more natural walking than the C-leg. Have demo'd the Plie' 2 and it is even smoother. Ask your prosthetitist to see if he can arrange to have the Freedom rep bring a demo model out for you to try.

Tried the newest Rheo a few months ago and really liked it. What would make me choose the Plie' over the Rheo would be that Plie' is water resistant and batteries can be charged independent of the prosthesis.

I also know people who swear by the C-leg, such as bikers and people who do a lot of heavy lifting...it's probably the most stable of all the microprocessors.

I really would encourage you to trial different knees though, to see which one suits you best personally.

Karen

AKA

Orlando, FL

Hi

Not really sure if this will help,

I have been using the Endolight smart adaptive for a couple of years and found it to be an excellent knee, and got me into some wonderful places in the middle of nowhere , in all types of weather and ground conditions.

I was given the impression that it works well with a long stump.

However sometime last year I got my second knee the kx06, from day one this knee out performs my old micro knee in every way.

I have gone faster, further, and safer with this knee even mastering a jog for short periods of time, and the beauty of this knee over a micro knee is if you are out in the wilds and you have to cross a stream you can without worry about the delicate computer bits.

In fact I love this knee so much; I swapped my smart adaptive knee, for a second kx06,

It is definitely worth a try.

yea i will def give the kx06 a tryout as well. by the way i am from the USA. also the Plie knee i am interested in i guess is the Plie 2. not the original. not really sure what upgrades were made however i hear it is better. thanks for the advice. hopefully i will get a little more input from others!

Since we've got such a good representation of AKs and KDs here, would you folks mind if I asked a question? (It might also help eb2 with making his decision.)

I've periodically heard statements that the microprocessor knees are "not really that good" for a very active person, as they are limited in their range of responses. However, the folks I know who do have a microprocessor knee seem to really love them. I've also heard that the microprocessor knees would be "really VERY good" for a newer and less-mobile amp, because the knees are so stable.

So...my question is: What are your own opinions about the above statements? Who would be the "ideal" candidate for a computerized knee, and who should consider an "old-fashioned" mechanical knee? And, while we're at it, are the "newer generations" of the microprocessor knees better able to meet the needs of very active folks?

Yeah, I know...I don't need a knee...I'm just curious! :smile:

Since we've got such a good representation of AKs and KDs here, would you folks mind if I asked a question? (It might also help eb2 with making his decision.)

I've periodically heard statements that the microprocessor knees are "not really that good" for a very active person, as they are limited in their range of responses. However, the folks I know who do have a microprocessor knee seem to really love them. I've also heard that the microprocessor knees would be "really VERY good" for a newer and less-mobile amp, because the knees are so stable.

So...my question is: What are your own opinions about the above statements? Who would be the "ideal" candidate for a computerized knee, and who should consider an "old-fashioned" mechanical knee? And, while we're at it, are the "newer generations" of the microprocessor knees better able to meet the needs of very active folks?

Yeah, I know...I don't need a knee...I'm just curious! :smile:

That's a good question Cheryl!

For me, the choice came down to a couple of factors: 1. Being 200lbs, could I carry a 50lb bag of fertilizer up and down hills when needed? (safety). and 2. What other mode can I use to setup a different activity.

After comparing all the information out there, the C-leg was the choice.

For anyone else, I think that they need to set their own criteria and do a lot of research to make the informed decision to the best fit.

Since every knee is good for it's own reasons, just look at all the posts. :biggrin: