Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Grum

Question for all NHS patients

How many limbs do you have?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. How many limbs do you have and what are they?

• Just the one
    • One Primary plus a "special activity" one
    • One Primary plus a similar spare
    • A Primary, a similar spare AND a "special activity"
    • None
    • Other

OBL is right, of course, but...

I fear the problem is made worse by having an outside supplier (RSL or Blatchfords) involved with an NHS department.

In an ideal world, the NHS managers would SHOUT at the supplier and say precisely what OBL said. But (a) they can't as there is probably a clause in the contract about 'interfering' with internal matters and (b) they haven't got the bottle (translation for non-UK readers: courage).

(And of course the RSL management could do the same, i.e. do what OBL suggests, but commercial interests and of course THEIR lack of bottle will stop them doing it for as long as the sun sets).

Allen.

Blatchford employ several sales and sales support staff in the UK and will always visit if requested to assist in fitting limbs.

If what was said about not having trained staff and a programmer is an excuse for commercial reasons things are very serious.... and wholly unacceptable in addition to ridiculous!

OBL is right, of course, but...

I fear the problem is made worse by having an outside supplier (RSL or Blatchfords) involved with an NHS department.

In an ideal world, the NHS managers would SHOUT at the supplier and say precisely what OBL said. But (a) they can't as there is probably a clause in the contract about 'interfering' with internal matters and (b) they haven't got the bottle (translation for non-UK readers: courage).

(And of course the RSL management could do the same, i.e. do what OBL suggests, but commercial interests and of course THEIR lack of bottle will stop them doing it for as long as the sun sets).

Allen.

To be fair, I don't think its just when centres have outside suppliers, similar situations arise at in-house centres too. We just need better organization.

A B/K prosthesis can be made within a week .... so why are we waiting months on end?

In fact a B/K or an A/K can be done in a week but this is normally saved for primary patients who get priority due to the fact they have no limb and once healed/physio assessed need to move on from the pam aid ASAP.

the Reason this is not done for everyone is it would reduce the service across the board. on average each prosthetist has 200+ patients. ok they are not all coming in at once but we see about 5 per day. To produce a limb fast we need to rectify the cast /order tracer if used , order parts straight away.This is not allowing for satellite clinics, training or days off etc. After all this you still need to book an appointment for a fitting around the other patients. I normally allow 2 weeks from casting to fitting.

I hope this make thing clearer but I cannot understand months to deliver as most companies have a contract date for each job?