Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
jberna

washing liners

I am brand new to this thing, so new that I only own one liner right now. I hear that I will eventually get two, to rotate, but for now I am washing out my ONE on a daily basis.....

I stumbled upon this trick recently and wondered if anyone else does this. After I wash my liner, and want it to dry overnight, I put it upside down, inside out, on a paper towel holder. The kind that are a circle base, with a central pole sticking up in the center. It is just the right size for my liner! The only problem is that I am sure guests to my house wonder why I have a paper towel holder sitting on the floor of my bathroom!

Judy

Hi

I am new to all of this so take what I say as a grain of salt. My prostetic guy told me to leave my linner hanging the right side in , not inside out. He told me this will inprove the life of my linner. THe linner does have some memory and you could distort it.

See ya

Clint Brown

Judy,

I agree with Clint dont' turn it inside out. You could probably still hang it on the paper towel holder tho..

Brenda

Hidee ho. Yes, having one liner is a bummer. I read in one of the magazines at my prosthetician's office that this individual was using 90% or better alcohol only to clean his liner. I questioned my guy and he said that it was okay as long as I made sure the alcohol was the percentage stated. I use the alcohol right after I take mine off at night. The alcohol is in a spray bottle and I use a fresh paper towel to wipe it down or off. Been doing this for 2 or 3 months and my guy says my stubby is in great condition last week. Early on I was told to wash it with antibacterial soap every day and once or twice a week use 70% alcohol. That was such a drag and time consuming. This really simplified things for me. In a couple of weeks I move up to my final prosthesis with 2 liners and am really gateful that I'll have two. More importantly, I'll be glad I don't have to put on the 20-21 socks I do presently. LOL Before making any changes, guess it's best to ask your prosthetician. Good luck.

Carole

hi all

the upside down towel holder is most ingenious , i must say! i am here in california, usa, and , when i got my liner, i was given something that looks just like what you use, yet was made just for drying the liner (probably cost a LOT more than a paper towel holder!!!)

thank you for the tip of not leaving the liner inside out over night. i always do that and will follow the advice of putting my right side out, i have had a lot of stretching with liners and this might help

all take good care and thank you

Hey...love the discussion that came out of this comment/suggestion! I will FOR SURE ask my prosthetist if hanging it inside out is bad..sounds logical to me! (that it would be bad for it). I will also ask about alcohol. I am suspicious that it is something he told me early on, but with so much information being thrown at me, I forgot. I am tiring of the mess of trying to wash it with antibacterial soap and trying to keep the outside dry! THANKS to everyone who answered this posting! That is what I love about my "friends" here!

Judy

The liner that I have (an iceross derma) has an outer covering and, because of this, takes quite a while to dry.

The instructions that came with it reccommend using (their) simple soap solution - no fragrance, dyes or other chemicals. Dry it off with a lint-free cloth and then turn it in the right way. The liner should never be left inside out for extended periods. Liners like mine should also not be exposed to heat or sunlight either.

They also don't reccommend the use of alcohol based cleaners for the skin as these can cause skin problems in some people.

The derma liner (which has Aloe Vera in it) should also not be exposed to alcohol cleaners.

I've been using alcohol and fragrance free baby wipes to wipe out the liner and to clean the residual limb.

The only problem that I get from these is some lint on the liner, which is easily removed when it is dry.

Using this method I can clean the liner when I take the limb off when I go to bed, without the hassle of getting myself to/from a sink to wash the liner in - anything to make life a bit easier

Dave, thanks for the suggestions about cleaning the liners. I had forgotten to look at the "owners manual". They gave me one when I got it, but I brought it home and forgot to look at it.

I noticed in your bio that the anniversary of your accident was a few weeks ago. How was that? Did you realize it? How are you adjusting to being an amputee, now that you have a year behind you?

Just curious, as an amputee who just has two months behind her so far.....

Judy

I tried a "tec" liner, which had to be smeared with petroleum jelly, a few years ago, I too was only given one liner and found it particularly difficult to clean. I was advised to take it in the bath/shower with me and wash it with soap but it was quite difficult. I found it particularly difficult when staying at a relatives, and the bathroom was one floor down! I think if I was to use this type of liner again I would definitely insist on two!!

I have the iceross comfort liner (I think!) and got told it was best to wash it with your shower gel/bath stuff that you would use normally as this would mean the chance of any irritation would be lower. Dunno if i'm doing the wrong thing but it seems to work for me. I dont wash the outside though as I did once and it still wasn't dry for the next morning - kinda unhelpful when you only have one liner!

Liz x :D

I noticed in your bio that the anniversary of your accident was a few weeks ago. How was that? Did you realize it? How are you adjusting to being an amputee, now that you have a year behind you?

Just curious, as an amputee who just has two months behind her so far.....

I was very aware of the anniversary of my accident - I don't think it's something I will ever forget! I think I have adjusted quite well to being an amputee. I was back at work full time after 4 months, I still do all the things I used to do - mow the lawns, fix the car etc. Somethings take a bit longer or I do slightly differently to before but I still do them.

I even played a round of golf at a Corporate Golf Day last week - I did use a cart as I wold have had great difficulty in walking this particular course (lots of hills and bumps) 2 of my golfing partners did not know that I was an amputee and only found out when one of them asked what I had done to my leg after I had a bit of trouble with one particular drive (nearly twisted the prothetic through 90┬░ - which did hurt a bit).

I've had some moments when I thought about doing or saying something but resisted - once when I was fixing a customers RIP (attached to their colour printer) I got a paper cut - the customer (who did not know about my accident) jokingly said that it's probably a hazard of my job getting paper cuts. I thought about saying "Call THAT a paper cut - you should see this one!!" and taking my leg off - but didn't. You never know how some people take a joke.

My stump is still shinking, albeit very slowly now. The first 6 months were the most dramatic in size difference. Just recenty my prosthetist lined the socket with leather so that I would not have to wear as many socks - I was wearing up to 3 thick socks and 2 thin socks at the end of some days (starting with 1 of each). Now I start with 1 thin and end up with 1 thick and 1 to 2 thin socks depending on what I have been doing that day.

I am currently waiting to hear if I can get the new improved VASS Harmony system (it's already been approved by the Limb Centre and Orthop├Ždic surgeon - just need ACC {accident compensation corporation - a kind of state accident insurer} approval then I can get it. I'm hoping that that will improve the fit (even though the fit I have currently is not bad) and will improve proprioception which , in turn, will make it easier for me to drive a standard car again - I currently am only allowed to drive an automatic with left hand accellerator pedal which is a bit limiting when I go away as I can't get a rental car or use someone else's car. I'm also carrying on with the building of the project car that I have been building for several years now. It's a Lotus 7 type of car. I'm now using a motorcycle engine as this gives me a constant mesh sequential shift gearbox which will make gearchanges easier as it will allow clutch-less changes. I will have a hand operated clutch for standing starts and heavy traffic situations. I will post some pictures later on - when it looks more like a car and less like a large pile of bits.

David

Hi All:

Found this older posting and thought I would add my two cents worth.

I use two empty (or full) wime bottles to dry my liners on. Works well and fits in with the decor.

ED

My 1st liner was an Alpha which comes with a drying stand as well as a large plastic cone for keeping a spare on. Unfortunately the Iceross which I got later has no such luxuries.

My 1st liner was an Alpha which comes with a drying stand as well as a large plastic cone for keeping a spare on. Unfortunately the Iceross which I got later has no such luxuries.

Same happened with me. Now I use the Alpha drying stands for my Iceross Derma liners.